Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I think today was by far my hardest day in therapy. It was mostly my fault because I want to push things. I just want to know when I reach the maximum potential from this surgery I can say I didn't wimp out on my therapy and we could have gotten further. I know that I can over do it with that attitude so for now I am trying to find the balance between taking care of myself while at the same time pushing to be better. Any advice out there on this subject of balance.
[Bonesmart.org] Resurfacing
 
Oh @medic4355 that is so hilarious! Love that pic.
I can only hope that I have a positive attitude like you and @bayfoxnw when I have my surgery/recovery.
Thanks for sharing.
 
I found if I could do one thing better or do one thing I couldn't from last time...it was great! Don't be too hard on yourself, it will come!
 
@medic4355 I pushed myself far too hard during the first 7 weeks....the result was my leg and knee swelled significantly....I found Bonesmart and realised that exercise is good, in moderation. So, I added a little to my regime, each week. Walked a little further, did the exercises more often. Every time it started hurting I went back to the previous amount. It's slow and steady wins this psrticulsr race. I'm week 13 and at back to a normal regime with a few niggly issues but normal..who would have thought. Chrissie x



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hmmm. To me, this begs the question, WHY do you "want to push things"? Your answer: so you "can say you didn't wimp out on therapy" once you've reached maximum potential. Who do you have to say it to? Yourself?

Acknowledging, as you did, the potential for harm, I'm wondering why you feel kind of driven... I understand the need to feel that you've done your best, but to me that's enough & is equally important to me. Of course, I realize you're a "guy"... Maybe have a little macho thing... a spirit of competition both with yourself and perhaps in comparison with others... & that we're approaching this coming from different generations, states of fitness, etc. But I hope you don't hurt yourself or cause some sort of unnecessary setback in your eagerness to plow ahead -- not only not worth it, but from what our BS friends say, can cause you to regress.

Hope you understand this comes in a friendly spirit -- no criticism intended. Just feel a little afraid for you. Continued success in recovery!
 
At almost five weeks I have had no PT and done no specific exercises, just solely walking increasing the amount. Now my OS prefers you keep to the restrictions and says ROM and other things will come. I'm in no big hurry though because I can do everything with pretty much no pain that I could do before. Pushing it might lead to damage, tendinitis and more pain. Be careful not to let PT push you too much. I know you are young and eager but you have many good years to look forward to now if you are patient a few weeks. I look at it as a long term fix and hope to be in good shape by spring when the snow melts so I can walk more and ride my bike daily again.
 
Medic as I too am so new to this I do not have much help except to say sometimes "less is more". I really listen to my body when exercising. When I feel the pull of tenderness in the muscle or ligament I stop. Now I said tenderness not pain. You are suppose to go up to the point of pain but never beyond. You have to really strive to keep an alert to your body and this take strength. It is easy to push forward but takes a lot of self control and strength to stop and slow down. Think about that. After having to spend two days in bed from going beyond what my body alerted me to I do not want to do that again. the body heals at its own rate and time frame. We have to be strong and let it happen.
 
@medic4355 you are still so early in recovery. You are young and therefore your body feels more "ready" than your leg is allowing for returning to normal activities. I'm 7 years older than you (47) I was at 8 weeks on Wednesday and have been back at work full-time for 2 weeks (principal of elementary school) and have also managed 3 evenings of gym time (one hour spin or bike, elliptical, weights mix). My recovery was "no set backs" -- at week 2 I was still struggling to walk much distance and especially up hills. I did therapy from week 2 through 6 (10 sessions) -- in that time every visit made me stronger and more flexible. By session 4 or 5 my operated leg felt stronger than my other leg -- no kidding. It will all come and it will likely come quick for you. Be patient. I am very athletic and I had worked out seriously until Early Sept. this year (my surgery was Nov. 20). All you had before surgery will come back -- and it doesn't take long (if no set-backs). You are going to feel better and better with each visit (I always found that the evening and next day following PT (early on) my body was sore and tired -- within 24 hours I bounced back each time and was stronger than before.
 
@shrinkette I did not take it personally and you are right. You must understand that I had a bad accident years ago where I broke 24 bones at one time and therapy no matter who did it was Hell because of the magnitude of the recovery. Because of this accident and many Dr's unwillingness to work with my leg from top to bottom I lost a lot of muscle mass in that leg and since my hip replacement I feel stronger every time.

Many of you are right I just wanted to push myself a little bit today and I made a mistake doing that. I am blessed with the weekend to recover thankfully.Thanks for the encouragement.
 
Gotcha, Brian. One of your posters I think said it best, both in this context & in general: Less is more. Consider this experience a Lesson Learned & proceed with caution. Sounds like you have lots of experience dealing with the mending process, so I have faith in your ability to monitor yourself & back off when you get the appropriate signals. Do hope I can do half as well!

Btw, that cartoon is one of my faves
 
Hi @medic4355, With your courage and determination, you will recover - slow and steady my friend :)
 
My advice - don't push! As you have already discovered pushing yourself only sets you back. As Poppet says - slow and steady. Give yourself time to build that strength. All this is only temporary. A slow and steady approach for a lifetime of no pain! :happydance:
 
Well I had hoped to make it through recovery without a story like this but here goes. This morning I woke up about 7:30 and stood up trying to stretch and gain my balance. Brandy was still partially asleep. Just as I thought I had gained my balance I closed my eyes for what I thought would only be a second.and suddenly I felt the world moving. YEP you guessed it I was falling. In a feeble attempt to slow my fall I grabbed my recliner which did help slow my fall but also pulled the recliner over on top of me. Thankfully I landed on my left butt cheek which is not the hip that was just replaced. All that was the easy part. Getting me up off the floor was the real challenge especially when you have so many restrictions on where you can and can't bend your knees or legs. Thank the Lord I was able to get up and had no major injuries. I just feel like I got out of a cage fight and lost big time today. Oh the joys of recovery. LOL When I had my bad accident in 2009 where I broke both legs I fell three times in the first 4 months of trying to learn to walk again. I learned there is a certain gracefulness that can be obtained in falling. I also found out that I still have not obtained that gracefulness. LOL
 
Well I had hoped to make it through recovery without a story like this but here goes. This morning I woke up about 7:30 and stood up trying to stretch and gain my balance. Brandy was still partially asleep. Just as I thought I had gained my balance I closed my eyes for what I thought would only be a second.and suddenly I felt the world moving. YEP you guessed it I was falling. In a feeble attempt to slow my fall I grabbed my recliner which did help slow my fall but also pulled the recliner over on top of me. Thankfully I landed on my left butt cheek which is not the hip that was just replaced. All that was the easy part. Getting me up off the floor was the real challenge especially when you have so many restrictions on where you can and can't bend your knees or legs. Thank the Lord I was able to get up and had no major injuries. I just feel like I got out of a cage fight and lost big time today. Oh the joys of recovery. LOL When I had my bad accident in 2009 where I broke both legs I fell three times in the first 4 months of trying to learn to walk again. I learned there is a certain gracefulness that can be obtained in falling. I also found out that I still have not obtained that gracefulness. LOL
I am so happy your were not badly hurt. Have you had your blood pressure taken while laying, sitting, standing? I would suggest that you do so and see if any of those positions cause a drop in blood pressure and if low or high report it to your doctor. Also and I know you probably know this hang onto something for a few minutes when sitting or standing and changing positions. I feel you still need to be check out by your doctor as any of a dozen things could of caused the dizziness. That is my opinion. I am so happy you are OK. Keep us updates. You know you can call the 911 and they will come and check you out and get you back in a chair.I am so sorry this happened to you.Keep us updated!
 
Sounds like you need to keep your walker right by the bed to steady yourself when you first get up. Falling is more dangerous than I can tell you....but, of course, you know that! Please take care. And I agree it would be good to check your blood pressure.
 
I don't know how I found myself on your THR thread, I'm knees... But you are an encouragement nonetheless. I LOL not at you falling, but your humor in dealing with it. I imagined you saying, "I've fallen, and I can't get up." I pray that everything is okay and you will take it easy (at least for a day.)

I had both of my knees replaced, so I now have a true understanding of what it feels like to be on the floor and have NO CLUE on how to get up... so I try to stay off of them. So none of this :rotfl: For me, and the phrase :rofsign:Is all in theory for now. The day I can squat down and tie my shoes, is going to be my new birthday.:martini: I will declare the day that I can take a bath and get out of the tub with ease, a National Holiday!:tada: Working on the name. :umm:

Seriously though, as I read your last couple of posts I thought, it must be hard to be an athletically driven male and have to take it slow. Sometimes we do need to push ourselves and sometimes we need to just listen to our bodies. I suffer from the other end of the spectrum. I HATE exercise in the standard sense of he word. I prefer daily activities and dancing, which is a form of exercise but not on my p/t list... But it will be! :egypdance:For now, I'm sick to death of exercising everyday just to get my knees to move properly, only to have them "lock-up" whenever they get ready. :gaah: So I feel you buddy. But you have the right attitude and drive to succeed! :yes!: Hang in there.
 
medic4355..hello been following your threads...how are you feeling my friend? downer day for me ..as I am becoming a big bore with this hip issue,,,i know what you mean about being dependent...That's my biggest hang up with doing this surgery. I just like taking care of myself. Needing others scares me....I know my husband will be there for me...but just use to taking care of me...
 
@Bionic woman2 Thanks for the post. one of the first thing I tell people who are facing major surgeries or just recovery is to learn to laugh at yourself. In 2009 I had an accident where I broke 24 bones. I suffered the brunt of the injuries down my right leg. Mind you I had just flown in from Spain where I was working for an oil company as a paramedic/safety rep. (Dream Job) I was 35 then now I am 40. I took about 2 years off from surgeries after having 12 in the 1st 18 months along with 18 months of therapy. This year I just had my right hip replaced and the only thing that is holding me back from being back to about 90% is my right knee which I plan on having replaced next year once this hip is healed completely. I may call on your wisdom then when I have to do that. Many Dr's told me I still would not gain anymore ROM if I had a knee replacement. Right now I can get about 90 degree from my knee but my new Dr tells me I will regain most of my ROM with the knew knee and a lot of Hell…. I mean therapy. LOL
 
MajorHeidi...hope your having a pain free weekend.....mine is ok..hubby did the food shopping...ahh that was a good thing......:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom