Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
@medic4355 , sounds like you have turned the corner! Take things slow and steady and don't let anyone push you into doing too much.
 
Took me a few but I figured out the signature thing now lets see if I can apply it? Nope. I am at your mercy teach oh teacher.
My hip replacement was last Tuesday
 
:)Mr. Student.....you got the signature just fine!!! Good job and thanks!
 
OK I would like to think that I have overcame the biggest most shocking factors so far as pain as concerned, but hey who am I to make that proclamation at this point. It has been almost 7 days now. Due to some major pre-surgery trauma issues and them replacing a hip that was filled with hardware I don't remember that much about the first few days. Finally when starting rehab and walking they let make my 5 HOUR trip home to START healing there.
I know there are those extenuating circumstances that I have like the other 24 bones I broke 5 years ago but for the most part I would think things would be basically the same. Right now I am finally back below 200lbs hitting the scales at about 195lb which is still a little heavy for me. I have a lot of occasional sharp shooting pains
 
I would like to take this moment and offer my gratitude for everyone who in anyway what so ever has encouraged me and continues to encourage me through to recovery. Thank you to those who have come by the house, those who have called, those who have emailed, Facebook, bonesmart.org, or even text. Then there has been the most dangerous category of all. PRAYAR!! I thank you the most. This Hip replacement has been by far one of the most challenging surgeries yet and one of the few that I have had the privilege of recovering from one injury at the same time.

The first 7 days have been a little rough but all in all God and the friends that he has provided have been faithful. Thanks again for the food, support, and emotional shoulder to SCREAM AT during these time. I cannot imagine where I would be without every single one of you.

With that said there are those who will soon be facing similar situations so if there is ever anything I can do I will be glad to do the same for you. For all my Bonesmart friends you know and I know we have one of the greatest things in hip and knee replacement going out there. If you or someone you know is about to or already has had a knee or hip replacement look them up at www.bonesmart.org. My handle there is medic4355
 
So happy to hear this latest update!!! It sounds like you have a great start on your recovery. Just continue to take things slowly and be prepared for some steps backward now and then. Recovery is often not a straight path forward. Take good care of yourself!!!
 
@medic4355 You are so right in that those first few days are rough. It only gets better from there though.
Just stopping by to wish you a speedy recovery and smooth sailing ahead!
All the best to you.
Kay
 
@medic4355 great news....first hurdles over for you...wishing you a great recovery from now on....you're definitely helping all those pre op with such good progress... Best wishes Chrissie xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@medic4355 , sounds like things are progressing well for you. Recovery is a roller coaster - just hang on and ride with it. Ice, elevate, meds and repeat. You'll get there!
 
Well here I am at day 13 since the RTHR. I will have to admit that the first week is by far the toughest. The second has eased up but probably has more potential for pain because we have a tendency to over due it when we discover our balance and just how "MUCH" we can do. Now I am at that place where I just want to sit still and heal but I know better than that. Today was the first day I got outside and walked up and down our quit little street. My version was that I walked a 1/4 mile to a small ditch where I caught a 12lb bass. Not True LOL. My wife holds me to the truth which is I walked (with my walker)from my driveway to my neighbors and back. A total of about 70 feet but it sure felt good with the wind in my hair (Oh yeah I am bald) So here are a few questions. Tomorrow night will be the end of the Oxycotin 20. (taken as directed) I still have enough Oxycodone 5 to last me another week or so but I am still having some major pain at times. Is it common for THR patients to request refills. Is it common for the Dr to refill. One of the main issues is that I am also 5 hours away from my surgeon but he has been in contact with my GP so I wander if he would have him write then since Narcotics can't actually be refilled or called in. Anyway is this somewhat in the normal for me to be experiencing pain this far after the surgery. Also because I am 5 hours away I have a 6 week check up not a 2 week. I have dissolvable stitches that seem to be doing really well as well as the wound itself is doing. You guys & galls have been my rock during this time so I appreciate all the advice given
 
Brian, I'm no expert but I can tell you that I was able to get refills from my surgeon after right TKR. Once the surgeon was unresponsive, I was able to get pain meds from my GP.

I wish you the best and encourage you to be proactive in managing your pain.

Betty


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Brian, I am glad you got outdoors for a walk. Yay!
I look forward to seeing others reply about the meds.
 
It is absolutely NORMAL to need prescription pain meds for several weeks (or sometimes even months) following surgery. If you have pain, you need medication. So don't hesitate to contact your doctor now. Don't wait for the meds to run out.

Because they are controlled medications, doctors always write the prescriptions for no refills. That doesn't mean you can't have refills. It just means you have to communicate with your doctors that you need another prescription so they can monitor your progress in recovery. Your GP can write a prescription for them as well. It doesn't have to be the surgeon.
 
@medic4355 so glad you are doing well and enjoyed your first walk...That's when you realise it's all been worthwhile! Re the pain meds...I think the answer is if you need them..take them! You simply cannot recover well if you are in pain...I'm week 13 and sometimes have a day when I need a little helping hand!
Here, in the UK, once you are out of hospital all prescriptions are given by the local GP......they don't put it on repeat however, it has to be requested. I know at 13 days I wanted to much further on that I was but now I realise the recovery is an up and down process and needs to be taken slowly. Wishing you well.....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
The need for pain meds in orthopedic surgery seems (and reasonably so) to require longer use of pain meds. But use them to allow yourself to be comfortable!

Your walks sound great! Wish I could walk outside more but it's been so darn cold, I've hardly been out! 50 degrees warmer tonight than a week ago but still well below freezing...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom