Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically the surgeon writes a short term prescription and you are discharged into the care of your GP. So do call you GP and request a refill. You need these meds to continue to get more mobile. It's only for a short time but you will definitely slow things if you can't keep that pain managed.
 
Typically the surgeon writes a short term prescription and you are discharged into the care of your GP.
Jaycey....this is true in the UK, but not the norm for the United States. Here a patient normally stays under the care of their orthopedic surgeon for all of recovery. It's usually the surgeon and his staff who oversee pain medications. But...when they get a bit stingy with the prescriptions, we do tell folks to head to their GP's, who seem to be a lot more understanding about the need for proper pain management.
 
@charmed-life welcome to Louisiana where last week our nights ran in the low 20's and the day's never got out of the 30's. But today it was 68 degrees outside. You have to walk outside when it's warm here which could be today or next week. LOL

I live in a very small house that makes a circle so I put a pedometer app on my iPhone and after three trips it said I had walked .01 miles. I told my wife I was going to get better "looping" around my house. Today I went to church which was my first trip since the coming home from surgery. It was kinda a crazy morning. We were announced as the Official on staff youth pastors while using a walker to go to the front and accept the position. LOL Still one step at a time. I encourage anyone who is starting this journey it is possible but not easy. My original pain levels pre surgery are practically gone I am just still dealing with the rehab part but if your our there just hang on it's possible. I am always saying this but I am eternally grateful for this website and the support of everyone here.

Originally I broke 24 bones in an accident that left me with pins in my hip. After 2 years of surgeries and then 2-1/2 without I finally decided to do the hip job. I did get to keep my hardware from my hip so when someone tells me I have a screw loose I can agree and show it to them.
 
I did like this video. I did watch a couple of THR surgeries on youtube and this one you chose is very good and better than the ones I watched. Thank you!
 
OK I talked with my surgeon today and he said he would like to pull me off the oxycotin and swap me over to Norco 10/325. I definitely find these to not be as strong as 10 mg of percocet but they are helping to cut the pain a little. I did however learn years ago that there is no such thing as pain meds that take the pain away, they are just meant to take the edge off a little. My GP told me that if after a few days I was still out of control in pain he would put me back on the oxycotin. Truth is I would rather stay off all of them if I could but I know now is a little early.
 
How often do you take 10mg oxy? I would think they would titrate you down to five mg oxycodone every 6 hours and Norco as break through. You say you are on oxycotin which is time released oxycodone. Depending on how long and how much/mg you have been on the oxycontin I would hate to see you go through withdrawals.This is just my opinion and I am curious that is all.
 
I have been off of them for a day and 1/2 now and no major effects. I have been on them before after my bad accident and we tapered off of them but I was on a much higher dosage and had been on them much longer. I have only been on these for 14 days so I think I will be OK. The only major effect I have seen is that the Norco does not work near as well but it takes the edge off. I have been clean from prescription drug use for about 5 years now. As a matter of a fact that is what caused my major accident. With all that in mind I wanted to do my best to come off the meds ASAP and they are very regulated by my wife and Mom who are staying with me all the time. Truth is I was a hardcore drug addict so I still don't take as many as I should I just hate the idea of ever living that life again.
 
Good for you. I am so glad you have recovered so well. I was misdiagnosis and have been on a low dose for a year now. I regulate my pills very closely. My doctors cannot believe I stand the pain I have on the low dose I take. I take just enough to take the pain edge off to function. I also know that no amount of pain medication can take all the pain a way. I do not believe people should suffer either. it is a balance each individual has to make so they can function with activities of daily living. I keep a complete record of what and when I take my med's and my pain level at that time. Sometimes I have found it can be very dangerous for those who can tolerate a lot of pain. They can get very sick before they seek medical attention. That is what happened to me with my gall bladder. I almost died because I did not report the pain cycles I kept having for over a year or two to my doctor. All of a sudden I get this old retching pain again and it was because I was on pain med's that I did call 911. I thought, "This should not hurt if I am taking a pain med". Good thing I did. My gall bladder was ready to rupture. I just had a back fusion and unknown to me severe arthritis of both hips. When I say I hurt my doctor now listens intently. I still take only what i think will get me through and this last three weeks have self tapered from 15mg every three hours right after surgery to 5-10mg every 4-6 hours. I have always self tapered when I feel better after surgeries. I am glad you do so also. I do not know you but congratulations on your recovery in both areas of your life. Takes a strong person to go through so much.Have a good day!
 
@Freaky freak I appreciate that.

Today we took the PT to a little bit different level. We did the same old exercises and then added more to it but what excited me was that we started working with walking with my cane. I am able to get around the house with when I am felling strong with just the cane. I quickly recognized today that when my muscles get tired I loose the ability to balance with just a cane. Still it was fun while it lasted and it definitely gave me a goal to work towards. In case I have not mentioned the obvious; I hate being dependent!!! but I know there are times in all of our lives that we will just have to walk that path.
 
I think you should be so proud of yourself for all you have gone through... and all you are going through! I remember PT, and getting so excited when I could do something I couldn't the time before! It IS the next step, and each day gets better! One day at a time.
 
I hate being dependent also. it is very hard to sit back and watch someone pick up after me. I am use to being the picker upper. My hubby has always been my equal when it comes to house work etc as we both worked. So I make it a point to thank him and i really appreciate everything he does for me. I am so glad to hear you are working with the cane. Good job! One more step to becoming more independent. I cannot wait to see your progress. The balance will come. Keep up the good work!!
 
@bayfoxnw I know that I am young only being 40 but I have some wisdom that comes with experience. I am still very active youth pastoring I just have a very understanding youth group that is patient in allowing me to heal. I was reading your post before this one and it reminded me of a few things. I remember being 18 and there were just things that I COULD not understand. You could not tell me enough times and it make sense. That is the difference in knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is reading a book on how to change a tire, wisdom is standing on the side of the road changing it. I have been very fortunate to be allowed by God to walk through some of the things that I have in this life. Oh I could blame myself for my accident and truth is I would be right but I just choose to believe that their is a higher meaning to our lives. Problem with a lot of the doctors is that they have knowledge. After 18 years of being a paramedic since the accident I now have wisdom of being a patient. A lot of the doctors prescribe drugs based off of the knowledge they have from reading a book. Truth is there are no 2 people just a like. They should write the medicines and adjust according to the patient but they don't do that. Now because of years of addiction low doses do little for me but I have learned to adjust and take what they will do. Before this accident I had another that gave me a skull fracture and left me with debilitating headaches. I got hooked because I could take 30-50mg of Loratab at a time and it not knock me out. I only wish that my doctor would have cared enough to ask but he never did. I have a great Dr now that knows my complete past and works with me. Still I am thankful for the wisdom I do have and if you have a membership card why not use it to help others. Thanks for all you help and encouragement. I don't think it will be long before I am mostly independent but the truth is in a great marriage like I have I will always be somewhat dependent on a wife that stood by me through all of this.
 
I to have a marriage few will ever enjoy. The man standing next to me in my picture is the reason why. He and my mother in law raised two daughters and three sons as equals with regard to what you can do in life and how you treat your wife or husband as an equal. A lot of woman think I am kidding when I say Jay and I share everything we do. We do chores as easily as dancing together with no thought who is doing what becasue we do it together. He has had to pick up the slack with my back and hips etc and this makes me feel bad. He also stood by and took up the slack when I went back to school after the age of fifty as he has cardiac problems and we had to close the HVAC business we worked together before that. Se we had to start all over again at an age most are looking forward to retirement at. When my hips went south our only income stopped coming in. Thank God that a glitch in our payroll deduction wiped out all the benefits that I had picked out the week before with an hour to go through all that info and a wonderful woman who took her lunch hour to help me re do my selections for health benefits. She told me jan we do not have time to reflect on the costs but you can reduce what benefits you have but you cannot chose more after today. So God/ my higher power was working that day as I took out long term disability with the intention of dropping it later. I was to busy and did not get back to it. That was done by the grace of God. My hips went completely out a year later. Thank God for procrastination on this issue. So yes wisdom is not knowledge and as a nurse I have found this out so much. I feel what others feels and sometimes this is a curse and other times it is what makes me the nurse I am. Why give a patient a shot of nausea medication when a cool towel on his brow gives him all the relief he needed. It takes time the one thing very special and sparse to have as a nurse. Yes doctors and nurses need to treat the individual patient and use experience not book learning. When I graduated my nursing instructors were very wise when they told us now that we have taught you how to learn now your true learning through experience will begin. Pain relief is one of these areas as you well know. thank you for posting. You gave me the courage to use my canes today when I went for my outside walk. I will use both together as using just one caused my r shoulder to blow out. Thank you for the counsel as I am always opened to learning something new.
 
@bayfoxnw I too have a phenomenal marriage. I met my wife when I was 13 chased her til I was 15 and then she caught me. We dated 4-1/2 in a Godly relationship waiting until we were married before we did anything sexually. This September will be 20 years of marriage. When we first got married she had ulcerative colitis. Her doctors told her it was one if the worst cases they had ever seen. She had her colon out after we were married 4 years and those times were very challenging. She no longer wears a colostomy bag and for the most part lives a normal life with some precautions. After that I had an accident on 04 that gave me a basilar skull fracture and suffered with Traumatic Brain Injury where I lost over 6 months of my memory. Then in 09 I had my bad accident. So we have had plenty of time to fulfill 99% of our wedding vows. I can honestly say after 19 years we are very happily married. We have had our moments and times but we have stood by the vows we made and God has honored them. Y'alls marriage sounds a lot like ours. I love to cook and my wife loves to clean. We both pick up the slack when the other one is down but I believe that our happiness comes from the time we spend together praying and reading the word. We do that as a family including my 10 year old daughter at least 3-5 times a week. We still live a normal life compared to most but I love time alone with my two girls. I will take that anytime over any football game on TV or hunting stand. Congrats on the strength of your marriage it is a great witness to many whether they admit it or not.
 
My hubby and I were not saints before we married. We dated 7 years before we married. We had both been through marriage before. I was married 23 years before and was not jumping into another relationship. He insisted (I am glad he did) and we were married 9-9-1999. We are going on 15 years married and 22 years of being together. I am an honest person or try to be as honest as I can. I love stories like yours and one of my best friends when my kids were growing up had a marriage that started as high school sweethearts and chase until married. I salute you! As far a a good solid marriage with a lot of love, companionship, and respect Jay and I too have a very good marriage. He has comforted me and cared for me like I was a glass angel that would break. A glass angel I am not. We have 6 kids combined that are all grown up and we love them with all our hearts and they have all made us proud. I adore my grand kids and this is what has hurt the most these last two years is that with my pain and lack of mobility I have not been able to garden and camp with my grand boys. Maybe this year. We have 4 dogs who are our new kids that keep us busy and have got me through times of pain and frustrations. They all weigh over 100 lbs but are well behaved.We use crib mattresses for their beds. Easy to change the sheets/covers and fit great. It is so nice to know others who have strong loving marriages. Not many out there. thanks for giving me the courage to try my canes today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, some great stories - obviously very wonderful having good support when going through life! I've been married a little over 40 years now - its not always easy but wow, so glad I'm still with him and that we worked hard at it. Not trying to get too off topic, Brian, on your thread but since you talked about it, I guess its ok. Very important when you have major surgery and a lengthy recovery possible to be able to ask those who care about you to help out. Don't try to be a big hero, accept help!
 
@charmed-life You are completely right. I do ask for help and I know I can't do it on my own. I just have one small problem. I am a man and as such we have an independent mentality. I know there are woman that are the same way but for the most part I have learned that my wife is smarter than me when it comes to asking for help. I am asking for it and I am thankful that I have my my wife and even my mom to help when I need it. I just want to be independent. I don't know why cuz the truth is we are all better people when we help each other.
 
Medic4355 that is so true. There are times i like being a princess but on my own terms not because I have to be. I also do not want to burn my hubby out. It is hard to care for someone 24/7. even when you sleep you worry about the person you are caring for: will they fall, have an accident etc.I have done care giving and it is one of the most draining hard jobs someone can do with a loved one 24/7. I do not want to be one of those: get me that , get me this, oh and can you get me, get me, get me? It tires a caregiver out. I try and remember everything I can and I make a list. I never say a word about the house or laundry or how long it takes to get this or that. Or if hubby forgets something I wanted from the store. I let those things go. I am well care for, fed and loved. I could not ask for more.I do not care what my hubby makes for dinner I am just glad he loves me enough to be with me through these trying times that are getting better and better each day. The more I am able to do for myself without setting me back from over doing is great. Those things I cannot do for myself, I, like you, do ask for help so I can get stronger and go on with our lives with no set backs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom