Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also wanted to say that today my PT came and did an evaluation for comparison to three weeks ago. When I started PT I was a 43 out of 50. He said he expected today that I would be about a 45 out of 50 but when it was all said and done I was a 49 out of 50. YAAHOOO. Progressing very fast I just need this freaking pain to go away but I was very satisfied with the results. I can walk without my cane in only three weeks but a little unsteady so I am still using it for stability until I get a little stronger.
 
@medic4355 Brian, so I know when i go to PT, what does the 50 mean? what are the categories and variables? just curious. glad you are doing well !
 
Good for YOU! Your progress is officially validated. You've come a loooooong way...! Very happy for you, Brian.
 
You are very welcome @medic4355 - thanks for the feedback and positive endorsement. I love writing the articles and I have so many more in various stages of writing. It is a passion of mine and I am enjoying sharing my knowledge. Nutrition is such a huge part of our recovery, after all, 'we are what we eat'! and Hippocrates was reported to have said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”
 
Well today I was completely enlightened by my Dr's PA. I have stressed so much about taking to many pain meds that I have not taken as may as I should have. I called today to ask them was it normal to hurt this far after surgery (27 days). Her first answer was "for people who don't take their medicines as prescribed yes it is normal." I questioned what she meant and she informed me that I should have called in for a refill 6 days ago and not today. She ask me to read the prescription bottle. It said "Take 1-2 every 4-6 hours." It did not say as needed for pain. She informed me that they were written that way on purpose and reminded me that my hip surgery was one of the hardest my surgeon had ever done due to the pre existing pins and screws and the original break was at the proximal head due to trauma. I had my original accident because I was strung out on Oxycodone so I have been a little leary of taking to many medicines. She reminded me I was taking lortab and not oxy for that reason still lortab10/325 is a dose when you take two of them. Needless to say they called in the refill and I got over my fears and I feel much better now. Finally if worst comes to worst they offer a rehab their at the hospital if I was to become severely addicted to the meds. So the moral of the story is "take your meds as prescribed and they will tell you when to start weaning off." Thanks again for listening. You all are a great support group.
 
Maybe you can get to a food healing level now. Best of luck to you!
 
Hi @medic4355 finally finished reading your thread and just want to commend you on all that you have struggled with and recovered from! I am sure you will recover from this as well as you have been through many difficult challenges in your life

I'm glad the pain is under control in a manner you feel comfortable with.

I too have an amazing marriage...we celebrate 20 years next month and I certainly couldn't have gotten through the last year and my current ongoing challenges without his support and that of my children, family, friends and bonesmart.

Keep up the good work
 
Hi, @medic4355 ... thanks so much for tagging me so I could land here. I was frankly very worried about you and those pain levels. Am so glad your OS's office leveled with you the way they did so you'd know you have to take those meds and regularly. I am so happy the pain is being managed now. You have been through so much. 15 surgeries??? And at your young age. You're an inspiration. And thanks for your insights over on my thread just now about how to talk to surgeons. Hope you continue to move upward with your recovery. You are still early out of the gate, so keep following the bonesmart mantra.... Take care.
 
@medic4355 Just reading about your journey and wanted to take a moment to thank you for sharing your story. You have been through so much! I am so glad you were set straight about your pain meds. You gotta keep ahead of the pain so you can heal properly. With that being said, I completely understand why you would be concerned about it, based on your previous experience.

I wish you all the best with your continued recovery and encourage you to please continue to vent here. I felt the exact same way about not wanting to vent my frustrations/whine about my pain around my husband and children. While I wasn't lucky enough to have discovered Bone Smart prior to my surgery, I was fortunate enough to have a therapist to see and vent to. :heehee: It helped immensely. My faith also helped get me through. Still, I'm happy to have discovered this forum for the support I need throughout the rest of my healing process and for when the day comes I need to replace my left hip. I want to encourage you to continue to come here whenever you need a sympathetic ear. I can tell you have big shoulders, but I assure you, we do too! Let us help you bear some of the burdens you are struggling with as you continue on your path to healing.
 
@javajunkie Can I first ask where you are from? I had my surgery in Dallas, Tx but I am from Monroe, La. It was very difficult to find an ortho that would do my surgery since it was due to trauma and they had to cut one of the pins into and then try and get it out. If you have found a good ortho close to home count your blessings. Finally my faith has been the one constant through all of this. I can not imagine having to walk through any of this without God. I once heard a preacher say he had never seen God build one ounce of character in anyone without suffering. Now if that's true I must be full of character. LOL
 
Ok folks its time for the 6 week check up. For me that will be my first check up. Since I lived 5 hours from my surgeon he put dissolvable stitches in to keep me from having to make the trip. I still feel very week and dependent on my cane but as I was talking with my Dr's PA he reminded me again that I was training muscle that laid dormant for almost 5 years. I believe I could drive if he would let me use both feet but I assume that he will not and wisely so as long as I am on pain meds. I have managed to lower my doses a good bit but completely quitting after intensive therapy is not quit an option yet. I have began this week being able to walk short distances without my cane but I find having it very comforting for balance especially after my fall early after the surgery.Does anyone have any advice or questions to ask? I am open to any advice? Thanks for everyones help so far.
 
Good luck @medic4355 with your appt. keep using the cane if it makes you more confident

My OS used dissolvable stitches too....great for healing
 
Keep using the cane if it makes walking easier or keeps you from limping - or falling! I still use one when I go out (ice and snow here ) or when I'm tired or it hurts - at 7.5 weeks. It's not a race to give it up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom