Guest viewing is limited

THR Resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.
@chasey Have you had your surgery yet? If not no worries. I have an awesome wife who would literally die for me but sometime you just start to feel like your abusing them. Then there are those times that I really need something but I have to weigh out is the pain worth the gain. Let me say that those times get easier. The pain lessens. I am 18 days since my surgery and I feel pretty good. Pain is lessened and I am already on my cane most of the time. It's a hard balance to learn to be dependent yet knowing that you will have to learn to do all that stuff again. Look at it like this in real life you really are dependent on you spouse more than you realize this is just an extension of those vows. Keep in touch.
 
medic4355.. No... no surgery yet....Yeah you are dependent on your spouse...in times like this.. omg yeah..this is when you need them....so you feel pretty good??? This just is soooo... painful.... awful.....My son stopped over today with a present....a cane......OMG............BUT i used it and it felt good....Surgery penciled in for 3/10....see how I say penciled..............still can't accept it and I keep asking myself.....should I????? and then when I can't do the things I use to do...I know it's the right choice....Are you glad you did it????
 
Medic, you got the Hell part right. Lol Shoot, the recovery itself is hades. You have been through a lot, with probably more setbacks than just the physical. Loosing your dream job has got to be heart wrenching. I'm in the process of job woes myself. The ONLY (natural) thing keeping me from loosing my mind IS my sense of humor. If you have time stop by my thread and get a little recovery humor, from a knee's perspective. :friends:
 
@medic4355 , just curious - are you taking any blood thinning medication? I had a reaction to it that caused major dizziness and passing out. Hope you are recovering from that fall. Easy does it my friend!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@chaseyboy I can honestly say that I am very pleased that I had this surgery. I have another thread on the pre op side called "Stupid is as stupid does" where I talk about telling people when they need to have surgery and them not listening to my own self. I really questioned many times if this is what I needed to do but finally realized it was past time to do it.

@Bionic woman2 I definitely went through some major depression after I first had my accident. The first year was by far my worst because we went from being told everything could be fixed to there was no hope of me ever getting back to work. Over the years my deep abiding faith has brought me through a lot of things. That along with a phenomenal family has helped a lot.

@Jaycey I was on lovenox the stomach shots but I just took my last one yesterday. I really think I just tried to get up to fast and I was still half asleep.

@MajorHeidi thanks and I am with you on the Bronco's If my Saints couldn't win then I am for the Broncos all the way.
 
Hmmm. To me, this begs the question, WHY do you "want to push things"? Your answer: so you "can say you didn't wimp out on therapy" once you've reached maximum potential. Who do you have to say it to? Yourself?

Acknowledging, as you did, the potential for harm, I'm wondering why you feel kind of driven... I understand the need to feel that you've done your best, but to me that's enough & is equally important to me. Of course, I realize you're a "guy"... Maybe have a little macho thing... a spirit of competition both with yourself and perhaps in comparison with others... & that we're approaching this coming from different generations, states of fitness, etc. But I hope you don't hurt yourself or cause some sort of unnecessary setback in your eagerness to plow ahead -- not only not worth it, but from what our BS friends say, can cause you to regress.

Hope you understand this comes in a friendly spirit -- no criticism intended. Just feel a little afraid for you. Continued success in recovery!


@shrinkette
I apologize that I did not reply to this message they all just come so fast sometimes you miss some of them. I wanted to say that I do agree with you that their are definitely realistic justified fears. Truth is I am afraid to be in a field with a wild lion. Now I know that is a stretch but I was just making an example that everyone can understand. Now I also know that those fears don't have to be that extravagant but I do bow to your point that some fears are very realistic. I was speaking of fears that manifest themselves in anxiety when it is about an event on our life that we really truly don't know what the outcome will be. I appreciate your input and I receive your correction any day of the week. I love conversation of an intelligent level where I can be right or wrong and learn something. Thanks for your input.
 
@shrinkette Sorry I used the wrong quote in the wrong thread. I was responding to a different post that you had made in a different thread. I guess maybe I really am losing my mind. LOL As always thanks for the interaction.
 
Hi medic I was reading your post today. I just had mine right hip done on the 27Dec13. I am 50 and still need to have my left done. I was happy to read you messages and have seen we have gone through the same issue's. I don't really post much in any forum's. This is kinda new for me. I have had many spinal surgeries 4 and now my hips. I am going through depression myself and just wish for the pain to go away for a day LOL. My hopes are after my left is done I will not have the spikes in pain I'm having now. Good luck on your recovery.
Michael
 
@DreamChaser88 There are some major pain issues after surgery or at least there were for me. Most people have hip replacement done due to degenerative issues. Mine was due to some previous trauma issues and a surgery that normally takes 45 minutes to an hour took over 2 hours. But I am 22 days out and my pre op pain is probably 90% gone. I used to have the same issues with pain spikes before my surgery. As a matter of a fact thats almost what kept me from having the surgery. The days that I was spiking I wanted the surgery but there were days that I was not spiking. I had a major accident in 2009 where I broke 24 bones in. Truth is I have not had a day since that accident that I don't hurt somewhere. Don't be ashamed or afraid to ask for help. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the medicine but there is a depression medicine that was originally designed for chronic pain so it helps with both. Only thing is if you don't have insurance it's not cheap. I was raised to be a mans man. I was working offshore when I had this accident. All my working life I have worked 40-60 hours a week. I used to think people should just shake it off and get on with their life until I walked through this. Just know that you are not the same man you used to be so stop stressing about that and do whatever it takes to deal with the pain and the depression. With that said after three years of being on major pain meds I made the decision to come off of them because I felt more than dependent I was addicted. Michael I hope and sincerely pray all goes well for you. Keep in touch.
 
It's been a pretty rough day today pain wise. It dropped into the 20's today here and started snowing. Last time we had any show here was 5 years ago. I think the weather had a lot to do with it but I am reminded that my surgeon told me due to the trauma and the previous hardware I had in my old hip it would take longer to heal and stop hurting. Just needing somewhere to vent because I don't complain at home. Thanks everyone.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Resurfacing
@medic4355, Brian, feel free to whine, complain, and vent whenever you feel the need. That's part of what we're here for---'cause nobody else really understands what we're going through.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Resurfacing
 
@medic4355 Brian, about all I can say is you have my sympathy. Probably the unusual weather plays a part...Weather, shmeather... it still hurts! You've been through so much. I do hope the end's in sight as far as pain goes. So sorry you don't feel you can vent at home, but you must have your reasons -- but you do have us!
Vent away -- we'll listen. I hope to see you soon on the other side.

Ellen
 
Two steps forward, one step back. It's called recovery.
 
Jaycey is soooo right. Just when you think you've cracked the recovery milarkey it comes back and on bites you on the bum!! But it's not for long soon you will be overcoming another milestone. I had days when I wondered if I should have had the op, days when I thanked God for having the op....!!! You must have heard the word roller coaster so many times on BS. Do hope today is a better day for you....Having a whine makes it so much better.....be easy on yourself. Chrissie


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks everyone. I guess after 15 ortho surgeries I have always been able to just bounce back but I did not anticipate this surgery being so huge or the recovery taking so much time. It took me almost three years to recover from my original accident so I know in the grand scheme of things 6 months is not so bad. Thanks again for letting me vent here. I hate to do it at home because I don't want that atmosphere here. In my original accident my daughter was 6 years old and it took forever to get her to understand playing sick was not the way to get attention. So for that reason I try not to complain unless I just have to.
 
Hi there @medic, here is a link to an article I wrote that you may find helpful.....

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
@Poppet Thanks for the info I find it very educational and helpful. The nutrition part is very important and probably the most abused. While I have been a part of bonesmart for some time I spent most of that time just reading threads and learning from that. After the hip replacement I have dove back into some of the articles suggested when I first joined. It's amazing how much info this site has. Finally I will say this site and people like you have totally changed my life and prepared me in ways no one else could. Thanks for the info.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom