THR Recovery Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Lola, welcome to BoneSmart!

How long does it take to get back to normal? There is no definitive answer I am afraid. We all heal differently.

What I can tell you is a bit of patience and trial and error will get you there.

Have you read any of the recovery threads in the Library? How long does it take to heal will give you some guidelines but as I say - everyone is different.

Why don't you start your own thread and tell us a bit more about yourself. We love to get to know our members!
 
How long does this take, any answers would be appreciated, as I am just going with what my body says and at the moment, I don't feel like it will be pain free to walk for a while yet?:hissyfit:
You never know! One day you're struggling with something and the next day, suddenly you're not! If we could predict when that happens, we would be very clever (and probably very wealthy) people! :wink1:
 
Viv... Sounds like a solid plan of action. I like PT and pilates as they are both orchestrated by professionals, so I know I'm not going to hurt myself. It does take time to build up those muscles after being quiet for so long... Go get em'...
 
Just completed first arthroplasty clinic. Mixed feelings about it really. On the one hand it felt a bit like a sausage machine, the only exercise not being done by me at home is exercise biking (so I've gone on ebay to look for one). On the other hand, I guess it's good to be seen once a week by PT for the next 6 weeks on NHS. It did take me almost as long to find a parking place at the hospital as the whole class took though.:what:

I'm really interested in this dichotomy - to exercise or just to walk and get back to normal by living your life. From reading what people say here, there seems to be a difference US vs UK. Any thoughts people??:umm:
 
Hi Viv, you bring up an interesting point. Of course everyone is different but in my case I found I got too hung up on exercises and completely forgot about getting on with normal mobility. In fact I got very good at the exercises! But in reality I needed to focus on building up walking distances, bending, twisting and lifting.

I recently moved house and found that the continual movement and doing life's normal stuff was far more beneficial than a set of exercises.

I think it's great to get PT just post-op to get you headed in the right direction. But don't forget the normal day to day mobility as well.
 
Hi Viv, I've had no PT at all and seem to be making fairly good progress I think. I've focussed on building up my walking and doing normal daily living things. I think it's amazing the variation within UK let alone between countries!
 
Hi Viv, enjoy your PT! I spent 2 weeks at a rehab after my surgery and had "PT" every day. Basically it consisted of heel slides, standing up and pushing op leg to the side and back. And somebody walked with me down the hall once daily. I got my exercises from the hospital to do post op at home and was told the best is to walk. I have increased my walking to approx. 1.5 km now (over 4 months post op) and do daily Pilates reformer. That has helped me the most and normal activities, as well as stairs.
 
Just returned from 12 (well 13 nearly) week check-up with surgeon. Seen x-ray, apparently it's perfect! Signed off. WOO HOO! :yes 4::dancy::yay::yahoo:

Now onwards and upwards with the getting back to fitness and freedom.

thanks for all the help and support everyone - hope you don't mind if I stick around for a while though? :happy dance::wubroses:
 
Well done Viv. I certainly do hope you will stick with us! Your positive attitude has been a great help to many here!
 
Just wanted to post that my first day of 'freedom' was so joyful. Knowing that the aches and pains are truly signs of recovery and that I'm not going to hurt my new hip by overdoing it, or trying to avoid the aches and pains has given me a new confidence.
 
Long may it continue Viv! Just keep at it. My mistake was not have that confidence in my new hip for quite sometime. Jo sorted me out! :th_heehee:

Please do keep in touch!
 
Great to hear this from you, Viv!!!!
 
I agree - that is really good news.

And I was right - your picture looks much better as an avatar! :thumb:
 
Thanks all! Yes, now walking for longer every other day with poles. Find it has reduced lower back pain to give muscles a rest in between. I did manage to move all my sitting room furniture around too without any complaints from the body. Still taking ibuprofen 2-3 times a day.
 
I'm going to add my two cents to the wonderful posts ahead of mine. I can't stress enough the importance of walking. I had a major set back because i was non weight bearing for weeks and then weight bearing as tolereated for even longer because of my fracture.

All the exercise in the world is no substitute for walking. My opinion only, but i firmly believe that. Of course i've had my problems, but I have never been able to walk any distance since this surgery and I trully believe it is because i couldn't from the beginning of recovery.

If I am to have this done over, hopefully I can start walking right in the beginning and I am going to do it faithfully. It helps everything, muscles, over all health and well being, best form of exercise ever, and it is free!

That and swimming. I don't know if I can do that, but it is certainly something to consider as well.

You are doing great! Keep it up :thumb: !
 
You are doing great, viv.I agree with Nana - walking is AMAZING . . . I can't understand how many folk who have always had pain-free hips would rather sit watching tv and vegging on the sofa when they can be out walking in the fresh air. :wink1:

For me walking is now getting slowly back on a par with swimming as my favourite form of exercise, now that the horrible excrutiating, grinding, yucky bone-on-bone pain has gone - although, of course, I still have all the muscular healing pain to contend with.

I used to be one for walking as much as the pain allowed - which was never far - and then sitting in the nearest coffee shop/bench. Now when I am out doing my rehab walking in the park, I can't bear the thought of spending any of that time in coffee shops. I just want to be out in the fresh air, whatever the weather. Maybe the novelty will wear off at some point . . . :rolleyespink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom