THR Recovery Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks both JJs. Will soldier on without bands and with meds - although am really struggling with diarrhea, which I'm sure is related. Sorry to whinge. What would we do without you wonderful bonesmarties.:wubroses:
 
Viv - do take pain meds if you need them. Once you get the pain under control the exercises will be easier. It's all a cycle I am afraid. Hope you feel better soon!
 
Have you ever tried Immodium or something similar? Stops diarrhoea dead! :wink1:
 
Hi there vivb! Sorry I haven't posted here but I have been following your thread. Had a bit of trouble myself but feel like it may be passing. From my point of view, not only are you doing well, you are doing fantastic!

I found that any exercises that hurt, I just wasn't ready for. I'd wait and try again later. Amazing once everything starts to work in sync. And you know what? One day you find you can do it and how'd that happen?

If muscles aren't ready, they aren't ready! Why torture yourself? In a year (YES, A YEAR!) you'll be doing everythign that you always did without question.

Of course continue to walk and do the exercises that you can, but I was so upset with PT's that wanted or expected me to do the things that they, perfectly healthy athletic people, could do!

Easier said than done when they are not the ones recovering! I also wouldn't rush to ditch the cane. WHen you are ready to do that you will just find yourself leaving it behind. Sorry, but to me it's a common sense thing.

:secretaea: And you know what? You don't have to answer to anyone. It is your body so take care of it your way. You know what is best for you. BUT, don't slack off.

Sorry, but I've gone through too much of people telling me what is best for me, when my poor ol' body knew otherwise. Just my opinion, of course :rolleyespink:...

Hang in there, you are doing great...choclate and wine? Oh I LOVE you :yes 4:!
 
Tomorrow will be 10 weeks since my op. I'm wondering if it's too early to think about Chiropractic? Does anyone have any hints and tips/advice please?
Thanks as always.xxx
 
Hi Viv.....think you are being a bit hard on yourself....take it easy. I am now 2 years post op and felt that support from PT was non existent....I did the research myself. I did find a private PT (UK) and she convinced me I was trying to do too much too soon. She told me it it important to rebuild strength with light reps with excercise and walk as much as possible to allow the pelvis to drop back down as the whole lower body shifts to accommodate the pain you have pre-op. I had aches in both hips and knees on and off for over a year. If sore, then ice and rest and start again when you feel better. You seem to have progressed very well...congrats.
 
Viv, why do you think you need a Chiropractor at this stage? If you are having aches and pains I am afraid it's all part of recovery. As weekirst says exercises and building strength in those weak muscles is the focus now. If you have lower back issues maybe chiro - but it can be very aggressive depending on the method used.

Have you had any PT yet?
 
thanks for this - I guess I'm getting impatient again, will continue with light reps and walking - I feel lke walking is the best really but it doesn't half make me ache:sigh:. Currently trying ibuprofen instead of paracetamol, just to see if that makes a difference!
Thanks guys!
 
Are you icing after exercise? It really helps. I am also having alot of back pain due to weak muscles. I sit with a heating pad in the evening and it does wonders, I also have a portable gel pack I can throw in the microwave and use on my hip or back. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Viv... You are walking up and down stairs??? I still cannot do that and it's been 8 weeks. It's the one thing I still cannot do - go up without hoisting myself up... so you see, each of us recovers differently... Getting off the big drugs and moving to what I call my cocktail of advil and tylenol (US names) has helped me sleep through the night.
You will get there.. inch by inch... step by step.. Believe it!!!
 
Hi Viv, just checking to see how you are doing? How's the ibuprofen working?
 
I do agree with Janet--you have to temper the PT workouts with your own commonsense about your body and particular reactions. It isn't one-size fits all and there are "physios" who aren't quite up to snuff like every other group--if you have to seek out another better suited to your needs I say do it. Or express your wishes and expect explanation about what and why they are requesting certain exercises.

I always ice after and take pain meds prior to my sessions--have two more weeks of it. Why are you waiting three weeks for another session? Isn't that what you said? Usually it is every other day to build slowly and steadily, I thought. :skeptical: I bow to the experts here if I am off track!!

As to recovery--I am in my sixth week and still feel like a convalescent most of the time---having to pace my energy output and just spend a lot of time sitting in the recliner trying desperately to find something worth watching on TV--so much junk!
 
Thanks everyone - Jaycey - Ibuprofen is working and diarrhea fading - double yay! So I've stopped paracetamol and diclofenac pro tem. Really find at the moment that walking with trekking poles half an hour a day is doing me good, plus stretching without the latex bands, but still walk like a penguin afterwards.:th_heehee:
 
viv - don't know why I didn't think of this earlier but one of the side effects of taking ibuprofen can be diarrhea. I can't take it anymore as it really causes me gut problems. If it's fading - that's good though.
 
Thanks everyone - Jaycey - Ibuprofen is working and diarrhea fading - double yay! So I've stopped paracetamol and diclofenac pro tem. Really find at the moment that walking with trekking poles half an hour a day is doing me good, plus stretching without the latex bands, but still walk like a penguin afterwards.:th_heehee:

Still walk like a penguin Classic , I remember after about 8 weeks the wife asking me when I was going to stop waddling :skeptical:. I gave her one of my dirty looks and advised I don't waddle unfortunately she gave it plenty of this :loll:
 
Simply had to post a couple of :yes 4::yahoo:!!
I got into the bath this morning! I didn't sit down yet but was able to stand up shower for the first time since I left hospital.
I tried again with the latex band exercises, just gently just 5 reps - no problems!!

I hoovered my living room for the first time in about 6 months - believe me, living in the country that's a lot of cobwebs. It took me ages, with rests in between but it was me wot did it:dancy:
So great to be able to share the positives as well as the moans.
Thanks. xxx
 
Fantastic Viv! So life is improving after all! Isn't it nice to accomplish trivial things and feel good about it? Still, don't overdo it. I bet you feel like a new person after the shower. Onwards!
 
I am also having alot of back pain due to weak muscles.

Hi Phillygirl

Are you sure your back pain is due to weak muscles?

I had serious back pain/sciatica in the mid 2000's. After visiting an ortho consultant and an MRI scan, I was advised I needed a spinal decompression. This was completed in 2007 and the results have been dramatic - no more back or leg pain. Also, the post op rehab was very easy - nowhere near as traumatic as the hip appears to be.

The downside(?) is that removing the back pain allowed me to concentrate on the hip pain. After 3 years of suffering increasing pain, I have finally had Hip 1 done. Hip 2 is to follow (OMG) in a few months.

Good luck

Roger
RTHR: 14Sep11
 
vivb......I'm so happy to hear your good report! It's amazing how good one feels when those normal parts of everyday life begin to come back. Look ahead to the days when you will be doing even more...time will get you there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom