THR Recovery Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fantastic Viv.

It's all too easy to focus on what we can't do, rather than what we can.

I said it in my own thread - Today will be better then yesterday (and repeat). I should just practice what I preach !!
 
Great news Viv can remember my first bath what a luxury can't say I got as excited about the hoovering :skeptical:
You are doing well Viv great news

Billy
 
It has been so reassuring to read about your progress. You are really coming along. I know it seems so slow, but hang in there. Today a standing shower......tomorrow cart wheels......well, maybe dancing!
Hope I do as well.
Nan
Left THR with inconvenient femur fracture complication 19 Jul 11
Biomet Magnum (metal on metal)
 
Hi Viv, great to hear how well you're doing. My OS doesn't recommend physio or give any exercises, just walking and ADL. It's amazing to read the differences in people's recovery schedules isn't it?
Keep up the good work
Best wishes
Anne
 
Thanks everyone! This has been such a brilliant week, don't want you to think I'm getting cocky but I've just had :bathtub::bathtub::bathtub: First time for eleven weeks. NO problems! Fabulous, feel like a new woman. Must say it's done more for the aches and pains than a whole heap of ibuprofen, so as you say, onwards and upwards.:yes 4:
 
Glad to hear things are going so well. There is nothing like a relaxing bath, it is one of the little things in life I appreciated after my hip replacement. Also when I could finally get up the stairs and not feel like I just climbed Mount Olympus.:yahoo:
 
Still doing well, but seem to be aching all over, especially at the top of hips on both sides, still limping a bit...any advice please. (I'm not down about it, just wondering):skeptical:
 
Viv.. I haven't ventured into the bath yet.. Good for you... as for the aching all over, I would bet it's just your muscles and tendons getting used to more activity each day. I spent a good part of Saturday with my hubbie walking IKEA.. huge warehouse - all cement floors. We walked for more than 2 hours... I had to sit down at one point to just rest.. then up and moving again... When we got home, I immediately fell asleep for 2 hours... I call that healing... I'm still limping "on take off" from a sitting position. From a flat position, after a good sleep, I'm up and moving without a hitch...
This is such an interesting, frustrating journey...
 
Still doing well, but seem to be aching all over, especially at the top of hips on both sides, still limping a bit...any advice please. (I'm not down about it, just wondering):skeptical:

Just muscles having to work in new ways Viv. Rest when you can. Take something over the counter for the aches if they are bad. Use a can or crutch if you are very tired - you don't want to get into the habit of limping again.

You are doing well!
 
You know vivb, you probably used a lot more muscle etc. than you realize getting in and out of the tub after not doing it for eleven weeks. Think about it!

The more you do it, I'm sure you'll be feeling it less and less. That's just what came to mind when I read your post about the bath :wink1:.
 
Viv, that's great - another milestone.

Janet's right - you're using muscles that you haven't used properly for weeks - or in some cases months or years - so it'll just take time.

You're doing just fine!
 
Nice progress Viv, especially the bath! Maybe I'll try it this winter (with a phone nearby lol). Don't worry about your aches and pains now, probably muscles waking up after a long time.
 
Yes, I did take my phone into the bathroom! Although I can't imagine who I would have called if I needed help!

PT visit this afternoon. Apparently I have excellent ROM but still quite a lot of muscle weakness so I'm starting an 'arthroplasty' gym/clinic next Monday, which is for building up muscles. (so impressed with NHS, despite all the negative culture around it here in UK). Also going to start swimming.

Honestly I've been so feeble and unfit for so long before the op. because of the pain etc that it's hardly surprising that my legs are so weak. But I'm all fired up now for a fitness campaign - taking it slowly of course!
 
Sounds like a great opportunity to have a special gym/clinic to go to. Enjoy the swimming- I really enjoyed going but now I'm back at work I've not found the time to fit it in. Slow and steady- careful that you don't overdo it and set yourself back.
 
I am 8 weeks post op now, had 1st dance and really enjoyed it, but have I ached after! But ....it was worth it! I havnt danced painfree for years and could move without pain. I love to dance, so it was another tick off the list of progress. I am still waddling a bit though, also, I have been shopping without my stick, that was achy, so had to cut short the trip as couldnt walk as back aches and legs too! I am a very impatient person I guess, would just love to get back to normal and be able to walk with no pain! How long does this take, any answers would be appreciated, as I am just going with what my body says and at the moment, I don't feel like it will be painfree to walk for a while yet?:hissyfit:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom