THR Recovery Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is interesting about taking both! thanks. I gave up smoking too, when I went in for my THR 7 weeks and 1 day now. Using NRT but after 40 some years v proud of myself - well done you. Chocolate is good.
 
Hi Viv, you're doing really well - I only went up some steps normally just the other week so you've beat me to that one! :thumb:
My main bugbear is not being able to walk very far before muscles start aching & not being able to put socks on yet, hope we don't have too cold a winter this year again if I still can't get them on soon!
Can bend leg up & touch my heel but only being 5ft tall I don't have long arms so can't reach round to my toes with the sock!

Chocolate isn't good - it's fabulous!! :th_heehee:
 
Hi Viv, you are doing awesome you know? Going upstairs normally? I am just doing that occasionally after 3 months. Write it down and read it up at your 12 week follow-up. You are on your way now!
 
Well done on the smoking after all that time. I've done it before and started again so I'm hopeful that this time its for good. I started at 14 so not quite 40 years but too long. I'm using the money I'm saving for nice treats which is helping with my motivation. I've found walking round the shops an aid to recovery too. Good luck.
 
I wonder if we're all suffering from unrealistic expectations about recovery, both real and perceived, and if they aren't at the root of feeling down & discouraged.

Maybe the only fair milestone we should use to measure 'progress' is how we were feeling and what we could do the moment we woke up in the recovery room, rather than what we were able to do long before hip pain became so debilitating that we sought surgical intervention. Then, even going to the bathroom unassisted becomes a big deal and a major accomplishment.

Bluetail
LTHR 8/17/11
 
Bluetail, I agree with your thoughts on measuring progress. I mean should we really compare what we once could do before our hips became debilitating... I'd say probably not. It's probablly a lot better and would stand to reason that it would be easier to look at the progress from the time we woke up after surgery, it would certainly left the spirits I'd say to look at how everyday we're able to do one single thing for ourselves without any help as a huge milstone instead of looking back and thinking well I'm not sure if I will ever be able to do that again...or it will be a looonnnnggg time before I'm back to doing xyz.

I think our perception has so much to do with how we recover and how we do sometimes find ourselves feeling down when really we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. For me I know I have to except things as they come, strive to feel better, keep a positive attitude, and use the recovery time to grow emotionally by learning to be patient, kind, and compassionate to ourselves.
 
You can put socks on at 6 weeks it took me 14 viv and drove me up the wall, I do get them on better now.
Walking up and down stairs normally at six weeks is pretty good as well, just don't push to hard as you might set yourself back.
All the best Viv :thumb:
 
No foresby - it was seven weeks plus for both these minor milestones - nearly 7 weeks before I had my 6 week check up! But I am noticing little improvements every day, now that I don't have to sweat the big stuff of the first 6 weeks.:thumb:
 
I found it very helpful to keep a journal of my recovery. You tend to forget how far you have come. When you feel you have reached a roadblock it helps to have a record.

Sometimes recovery is very subtle. As Viv found, you suddenly realise you can do something "normal" again. But we celebrate every milestone here! It's all about getting back your life and getting on with doing what you want to do.
 
Just wanted to post that, after a seemingly no progress week I'm now stick-less inside and doing adductor exercises. Clam,no problem but the other one v hard!! However once you start doing them you start noticing progress each day. Can also bend right down from the waist to the floor now and lie on both sides. I know I need to be doing longer walks each day though.:thumb:
 
Great news Viv. That's what I experienced. One day things seem impossible and the next time you try it - :yes 4:! Don't worry about lengthing you walks. That will come. Right now focus on correct gait (heel, toe walking) without a limp.

Well done!
 
Very nice Viv. Keep it up. I'm looking forward to being able to do that as well.
 
Hello Viv
I know the early stages in recovery can be very frustrating and I do have to agree that this recovery or any major surgery recovery is quite like a marathon and we really do have to pace ourselves.

I still get frustrated with unrestful sleep and I am so cautious with my new hip that I don't think I have the flexibility of some on the board, but I really want to make sure I wait long enough to really let it heal.

The members here are the most supportive, caring group i've ever been a part of and I'm eternally grateful for each and every one.

I hope you heal quickly, keep your head up!
 
Have been to hospital PT for help in 'getting weaned off stick.' She has given me loads of exercises with latex bands, but told me not to do adductor exercises before 12 weeks. Now I'm getting lots of pain in different areas, groin, lower back, inner thigh. Worrying, in case I'm doing exercises wrong. Have decided to go back on paracetamol plus diclofenac - please can anyone advise. I don't get to see PT again for a further 3 weeks, so I have a concern that I might be hurting myself in the wrong places.
It's 9 weeks today since my op.:what:
 
Hi Viv,

Glad to hear you're doing well.

Folks with better knowledge than me can answer the question about your physio but I'm guessing that you're awakening old muscles - can be sore. Why not phone your physio - I'm sure they could put your mind at rest.
 
i, I had my op on 5th August, know exactly how you feel! It is 5 weeks today since op, all seems ok, so want to sleep on my side though! Want a bath too lol...it seems so slow to get over, but, at least I know I will. I am still achy and using a stick, but, yesterday I did walk all day wothout it around the house, now I ache like mad hahaha....but I did expect that! I am back at the Hospital next week for check, all I worry about is 'will I be left with a limp'? I hate the thought of it. I have a feeling the limp will go when the muscles are stronger so I do try to look on the positive side, but, so want to go out and walk. I have been waiting so long to walk without pain. I dt drive so do feel stuck...nice to be able to write here.
 
Have decided to go back on paracetamol plus diclofenac - please can anyone advise. I don't get to see PT again for a further 3 weeks, so I have a concern that I might be hurting myself in the wrong places.

Hi Viv, please don't worry about the aches and pains you are feeling as you get more mobile. All part of recovery!

I was on the same meds and they worked very well for me. It is important to control the pain as you build strength.

If you are experiencing major pain, hold back on the excercises for a bit and then build up again. Stop using the bands and do the excercises without for awhile. Then add the bands when you can do the exercises with no problem. Building the muscles again can seem very difficult but the results are very quick if you don't push it.

Please do update when you can!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom