THR Recovery begins-UK

Hi @Hattiecat, I had more swelling in this second surgery (Nov 16) than I did in first surgery, and I found the swelling really hindered my ability to bend my leg for awhile there. I found elevating my leg this time (LTHR), just a little more than I did RTHR in Sept last time, along with the icing of course, really helped the swelling go down, and I could gently start moving my leg around. I now can bend it to 90 degrees. It is always great to get out of the house. Slow and steady wins the race!
:flwrysmile:

Good day yesterday, walked round the superemarketime pushing the trolley. Feel rough today, very stiff in my back and none operated side, feeling sick and washed out. I feel like I have not progressed this week much at all really. Trying to keep positive but I really just want to sleep.

walked round the superemarket pushing the trolley.
Very early days to be doing something so adventurous. If you are feeling like you want to sleep you body is trying to tell you that you are doing too much. Sleep, rest, ice and elevate. The activity will follow when you are further along in this process.

Feeling quite positive this week. Hardly using my crutches at all now, although I am still limping due to the problems with my other hip. Going back to work next week for 2 days working at home. Only using paracetamol and Nurofen now. Before my Op I took naproxen, will I be ok to take this again in the run up to second THR ?

You sound like you are doing well
@Hattiecat ...I must say, just my opinion, but NSAIDS worry me.
I have seen alot of members discussing pain and inflammation medication, and I have always attributed NSAIDS to be the best for alleviating these issues Pre and Post op.
Honestly, before my surgery nothing helped so thank goodness I stopped all medication.
There are still many that insist they must take their Aleve, Ibuprofen, etc.
Josephine told me early on in my recovery Tylenol was a better choice.
I am constantly reading confirmations through research that NSAIDS are not a good choice for recovering hip patients.

FYI - an excerpt:

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0300060517732697
Postoperative drugs
Painkillers are frequently used by patients with hip osteoarthritis. In our experience, most of these drugs are represented by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). NSAIDs are the least safe of painkillers in terms of osseointegration. NSAIDs impair the osseointegration process of titanium implants by inhibiting cyclooxygenase-2. This results in decreased levels of prostaglandins, which are important in promoting inflammation and supply of bone-formation cells.

Hello, seeking some more advice. I am 6 weeks post LTHR tomorrow but because of waiting lists in the NHS don't see my OP for my post op check for another 2 weeks. I am doing well I think although struggling with the non operaged hip. Already back to working from home but next week back to the office. Can I drive when I feel able or should I wait to see the OS ? Also still sleeping on my back and using a raised toilet seat more a confidence thing really. What should I just give a good? Happy New Year to everyone for tomorrow.

Hattie, your insurance company may not cover you until you have had clearance to drive so be careful..

Thanks, really good point. Apologies for all the typos in the previous message. I think I will muddle through without the car for the first week.

@Hattiecat
I agree with @SurreyGirl about the DR's ok and the insurance but as you are at 6 weeks you should be ok to drive unless you are on strong meds which it doesn't look like you are. If you do want to drive perhaps you could give the Dr's office a call.
I see my Dr on Thursday and it will be 2 days short of 6 weeks. I expect him to clear me for driving and removing my TED's

Sometimes GPS are a bit vague and just say well, if you feel you can do an emergency stop and are not on opioids you are clear to drive. But they don’t put it in writing!

It's not really the GP who releases you. Your surgeon will formally discharge you from any restrictions at that follow up visit. @Hattiecat Were you given a timeframe for driving? Both my surgeons said 6 weeks post op.

Hi @Hattiecat
I contacted my insurance who said providing i had been advised 6wks I didnt need to see my GP to be signed off. I dont see my surgeon till mid Feb at 12wks but Royal college of orthopeadic surgeons say 6wks providing you can do emergency stop and not on sedating meds. I am therefore driving again 7wks post op.
Not going back to work though till mid Feb and given how much i sleep and take to do things plus rehab would not manage rtw yet.
Hope yours is phased and if not would request. Its exhausting working a full day at first and your gp can do you a fit note to make sure you start on reduced hours.
Wishing you a healthy new year
:gbh:

I saw my surgeon at 6 weeks - he checked the new hip and discharged me. He said very clearly that I could now drive again (as well as sleep on my side).

I have not seen a GP post op.

Nearly eight weeks post op and seeing my surgeon next week. I wasn't given much info on restrictions so self imposed what felt comfortable like back sleeping. I have carried on with this but now want to sleep on my side but I am really anxious, do I just go for it ? Left hip really hurting now so looking forward to getting the next op date in the diary.

Sorry your other hip hurts..:console2:
Back sleeping with bad hip is very uncomfortable!
You can try it.
Put a pillow between your legs when you do.
It may make it more comfortable.
I never was told I couldn't sleep on my side but after incision was good and healed...it was not as comfortable as I thought.
Takes some getting used to again.:unsure:
A Pillow really helped.
Hope you get your date for righty soon!

@Hattiecat
I had my second hip done 4 days after yours. As Mojo has said you should be able to sleep on your side so long as you have a pillow between your knees. It stops the operated hip from flopping too far over.
I can sleep on both sides (had the other hip done last July) but it does take a bit of manovering to avoid the scars and find a comfortable position.
I probably started off for just a few minutes on the latest operated side at a time but have been able to gradually increase the time. Anything to get off my back :)

It comes with time Hattiecat. Pillow between legs definitely helps. I found that when trying to sleep on my operated side I could only manage around 40 minutes at first but as the scar got better so did my ability to sleep in that side. An extra pillow between scar and bed helped too.

Thanks will give it a try. I've got some groin pain today, fairly moderate but never had this before ? Is this normal for 8 weeks ?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back