THR Recovery begins-UK

Tomorrow is another day. I am sure they will help you start moving around more then. Take care. We are all cheering you on.

Please try not to feel so defeated a mere two days out of a major surgery. With all due respect, this wasn't a minor tooth extraction. You were anesthetized and your leg may have been aggressively maneuvered in an effort to dislocate your hip, muscle and tendons were stretched and separated, your bone was sawed and reamed out to accommodate the metal prosthetic that was implanted. Your body is trying to heal from the assault and all of your energy is going toward that repair. You will be tired. If you're able to get through the Recovery Guidelines, please do so. Hopefully it will ease your concerns and put it all into perspective for you. Wishing you comfort :console2:

Take Jaycey's advice above and forget about PT for now. Take your meds on schedule, rest and ice, ice, ice.
@Hattiecat

Thanks for all your posts. I have been up for the last couple of days taking a few steps with the frame and it's getting easier. They seem to have sorted my pain medication out but still having periods of nausea. Catheter taken out last night but put back in as I couldn't pee. Main issue is my 'good leg' very limited mobility and hurts more than the operated leg as I'm using it to haul myself in and out of bed. BTHR not an option so will need to do this all again soon !

There are meds that help with nausea too.
Glad your now able to take steps...has anyone shown you how to get out of bed or help you too ?
I hurt myself doing this wrong and not asking for help..
Hugs :wave:

BTHR not an option so will need to do this all again soon !
Focus on this recovery for now. The next one will be totally different so don't assume anything. Get those meds sorted and do ask for anti-nausea medication. It really does help.

Well done for moving forwards. The first days are the most difficult. Soon you will be moving on to the next stage.:bicycle1:

I'm glad to hear you've gotten up and walked a little. Hopefully, that nausea will go away and you'll find everyday a little easier than the last. You just have to take it one day at a time and on the bad days, one moment at a time. :thumb:

Hi @Hattiecat I couldn't get out of bed at all the first day of my RTHR in September. Kept getting dizzy just sitting up. Had to either go to the loo on a commode, or go by commode chair to the loo....awful! I remember watching my roommate going to the bathroom on her walker and wondering if I'd ever be able to do that. Once I got up the next day, I was terrified of putting my foot down...was just toe touching! My roommate and the PT kept telling me to put my heel down...it was hard. Then I felt so uncoordinated trying to figure out the sequence of move the walker, then the op foot, then the other foot. Amazingly, slowly and steadily it starts to come along. Sounds like you are slowly on your way. Hope that the nausea is being helped with some meds.

I also had a second hip in waiting. I had my first op in mid September and my second just over a week ago, Nov 16. I tried hard not to think about the second surgery, and gave my total focus to my first surgery. It is hard when that second hip is painful. Hopefully with the pain meds for this first hip getting the surgical pain under control, you are also getting some pain relief for the second hip at the same time :).

I worried a bit about how fast first hip would heal and all that. I worked on relaxing and not thinking about that, as it was making me anxious. It helped to put second surgery at arms length, relax, get the rest (elevating and icing), doing the walking only (no PT exercises for me), to allow the soft tissues structures to heal. Although a very active person, I really took the slow and steady approach to healing, and it is amazing how it unfolds...if we just let it. Doesn't mean to say I didn't get impatient and frustrated (all normal), and thanks to everyone here, and the information given to us once on the healing side, it has been a better journey for sure.

Be kind to yourself and know that slow and steady does work!
Wishing you a restful night :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Week since the operation, still having bowel and bladder problems but I have decided to concentrate on my hip/mobility. Up today and sat in a chair for a couple of hours so feeling quite pleased with my myself. Reducing the really strong medication as well and that feels comfortable. Hope to be home soon.

:hi: Happy One Week Anniversary!
Slow and easy wins this race. I'm sorry you're still struggling with bowel and bladder issues.
I hope all resolves quickly. Home will feel wonderful! No more annoying interruptions. I hope you're discharged soon.

Consider Pumpkin Puree for Constipation, if it continues. It needs to be the only ingredient in the can, no other additives. Can be sprinkled with Cinnamon.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library on Constipation -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constipation-and-stool-softeners.4899/

Happy healing and best wishes to you!
@Hattiecat

Hope today is a better day @Hattiecat
All temporary....:console2:

Hi @Hattiecat I also hope you have a good day. You'll get there. And as you manage to get a bit more mobile it will help with the bowel and bladder problems. These do take time- and I really didn't think I was warned enough about it the first time.

Make sure you try to keep sipping or drinking lots of water/ tea anything- even though you might not feel like it.

I think you're finding movement easier- but I wondered if your PT had given to a leg lifter to try yet. Given my weakness I had real problems getting in and out of bed the first time- and this little device made it all so much easier. They didn't give it to me at first- I think they were trying to see if I really needed it 9I really did)!
When I got home it continued to be so helpful. Basically it's a wired piece of fabric that you can hook under your ankle/ leg to lift your leg(s) across your bed and lower them up and down. Some people use dressing gown belts- but they aren't quite as effective.

Still using it this time- though not as necessary- and this time the PT gave me an extra immediately too.

Good luck.

I hope today is full of pleasant surprises for you :loveshwr:

Thanks for all your helpful replies and support. Much better today, up and about on crutches, leg lifter thingy promised by PT. Finally went to the loo☺, although bladder 'sleepy' despite drinuking gallons of water, promise of home tomorrow yay!!

Things are getting better :loveshwr:I hope all continues on course and you get home tomorrow.

Walking on crutches and going to the loo- what a successful day! And how funny the things we learn the value of.

Also wishing you a good night of sleep- my ward was full of noise and excitement- hope your night is more peaceful. Perhaps (hopefully) followed by the journey home.

Hi glad you had a better day . Just take it easy and you will get there. I felt better in myself when I got home I’m not the best patient. Relax and let everybody run around for you x

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom