THR Recovery begins-UK

Hi @Hattiecat Congratulations on being up on crutches...and going to the loo!!!

Hope your bladder sorts itself out soon. Sitting on the loo for long periods of time is NOT the most comfortable place for hippies :sad: .

Going home tomorrow (today for you!) such great news :happydance:!
 
Finally home yesterday, all in all not too bad. I was worried about getting in and out of bed but that's fine, sofa feels low even with an ortho cushion but I think that I need to build up my confidence to bend my leg more. Mixed messages from the hospital about whether I needed to continue to wear ted stockings so I have ditched them but giving myself blood thinning injections. Do you all think this will be ok ? I need to get back to work goes the NY, feels a long way to go yet.
 
Congrats on getting home! There is no place like in your own bed :)
 
Some surgeons don’t use Teds. Mine didn’t. Congrats on being home. One day at a time.
 
Congratulations on being home and good luck with recovery. Hated the thigh high stockings but also did the blood thinning injections. Keep up the good work.
 
Thanks for all the encouragement. Soreness on ankles woke me up last night, rub from sheets in bed I think, any advice ?
 
I remember the sore ankles! I put them up on a small cushion to stop the heels rubbing in the bedsheet. It was amazing how quickly they became sore otherwise!
 
A small cushion or just a folded towel under your ankles will keep your heels from touching the bed and getting sore. Welcome home!
 
Yay home!
Everything seemed hyper sensitive ..and my heels were super sore in bed.
I had a little sheepskin to put under my ankles.
First days can be a bit tough...hard to get comfortable.
But all temporary.
You will be glad for getting rid of that bad hip.
 
2 weeks post op today, don't feel I am progressing much, trying to increase exercise but very tired, thigh quite swollen now as well. Having wound checked at the doctor's later. When should I try to bend my leg a bit more ?
 
I am a bit but trying to keep it straight, confidence thing really.
 
No need to keep your leg straight. Start very gently as your muscles may be very tight from lack of movement.
 
Happy Tuesday to you :wave:
Two weeks post op is so very early into recovery. Consider looking at the progress you've made from weekend to weekend. Try not to look for daily progress as you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I chose weekends to reflect back to what I was, or wasn't, able to do the weekend before. I found weekends were easier to think back on because I usually had visitors then, hubby was home etc. The other days of the week all kind of rolled into one another and I didn't notice much change. Try it, see if it works for you.

I hope you have a nice day and a great rest of the week!
@Hattiecat
 
@Hattiecat Hi I hope your wound check appointment went well yesterday? I could really see a difference at mine yesterday compared to last week.

I saw you'd been worried about bending your operated leg. Did you mean at the knee or at the hip? It might feel stiff especially if it's swollen, and I can understand you're worried- but don't worry too much about bending it and using it gently. It will help with some of the stiffness and swelling (unless you start pumping weights immediately I guess)! Plus it's important for circulation. If you're lying and elevating it- you can vary the position to help- bending and straightening- and use some ice for the swelling.

I bought some furniture risers (called elephants feet) via amazon this time- for my sofa- although the occ health at the hospital can also arrange these- just in case this helps as I saw you've been finding the sofa a bit low. They don't look very stylish- but since they allow me to use the sofa I can cope- it has allowed me to realise how uncomfortable the wing chair and foot rest were that I used during the first surgery-I had no idea at the time- but it definitely made me more achy.

You're only 2 weeks out of major surgery- so don't worry about progression- it will come. Be kind to yourself. Mind you it's easier to say than do for me this time around. First time around. although it was all very slow, it was so amazing not to have the arthritis pain I was happy to give myself the time to recover. Hope you're feeling a bit more confident about this. If not- hope you do soon- and find some good ways to distract and treat yourself in the meantime.
 
Hi Hattiecat,
Please don't be discouraged if your progress is not what you had predicted. I sort of felt like it was a competition to see how fast I could recover--especially because I'm younger like you--but I now see the error of my ways. If my hip heals properly with no limp, infections or dislocations, then I will be thrilled--no matter how long it takes. You've actually made great progress in the last two weeks, so celebrate your emergence from that yicky initial period!! You're doing so well!!:hugzz:
 
Thanks for all your kind replies, they are really encouraging. I guess that I need to be realistic that until I have the other hip done my progress is going to be limited. I really want to try and get out this weekend even if only for an hour or two.
 
:hi:Yes, while you're sitting...bend your leg up and down.
That hip socket is in there but good!
I would do some stretching bending legs while lying in bed before I got up and about in the morning.
Don't be anxious...it's going to do well!:yes:
 
Happy Thursday, Hattiecat
Getting out for an hour or two this weekend may be a great idea.
It feels good to be part of the world again. Just be careful not to overdo.
I hope you're having a good day and wishing you a relaxing evening!
@Hattiecat
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom