Guest viewing is limited

THR Reclaiming my Future after THR

1. Hair loss??? As you can see, I have long hair-- thinner than before menopause for sure, but still have a lot of it. It has been coming out A LOT the last 3 times I washed my hair. :bawl:I know stress and the trauma of surgery can do a number on hair, so if this has happened to you, did it eventually slow down to a normal amount in the brush after washing?
Yup. I’ve had hair loss after previous surgeries and now these two hips 8 weeks apart. For me it starts a few weeks after surgery, lasts a few weeks and then takes a couple months to fill back in. I took some hair supplements to give it a boost but mostly it’s just time to grow back. Not much I can do but use extra product to make it look thicker. Mine has never gotten so thin that my scalp shows. I feel for you.
 
Need some reassurance again.... My PCP ordered routine bloodwork (complete metabolic panel, lipid, thyroid) after putting me on Crestor for cholesterol issues. I went this morning and the results are coming back with a few of the tests a bit wacky.... can this be coming from my THR 6 weeks ago??? My hemoglobin was low normal at 12 and a few other of the tests were outside of the range. I've never had this happen before. My pre op testing was normal and now 6 weeks later things are off??? Could the surgery still be affecting some of my bloodwork? I have a message in to my PCP but I know he probably wont call me back until tomorrow because today is his day off. I also haven't slept much in these 6 weeks, so maybe that's affecting things? I don't sleep more than an hour at a time at night because I'm having to go to the bathroom or my body doesn't feel comfortable on my back. I'm up by 5am and can't go back to sleep. This sleep deprivation is getting to me. How much longer until I feel comfortable on my side-- the unoperated side?
 
My hemoglobin was low normal
My detailed surgery report showed a blood loss of 400c during the operation and there was likely more blood loss post-op. Red blood cells take some time to recover so the low hemoglobin would not surprise me. Of course check with your PCP.
 
Yes, it's not unusual for blood loss from surgery to push us into a short term anemia, as evidenced on the CBC.
If a liver function panel has unusual numbers, that's for you to promptly follow up by phone with your PCP as statins like Crestor may affect this.
 
I was unusually anemic after my surgery.
Funny story. I had the most bizarre craving for...ketchup.
I like ketchup with fries, but that's about it, and I almost never eat it any more because it makes my legs swell.
I looked up online what a craving for ketchup was likely to be and it turns out that is often a pregnancy craving for iron. I took my preferred iron supplement for a few days, and presto, all gone.
I'm not sure how low I would have had to be to have such an unusual-for-me craving, but it was very odd to experience.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well...we haven't heard from you in a few weeks.
Is laying on your side any more comfortable these days? :fingersx: Hope to hear from you soon.
@proffrench
 
Chiming in late- anesthesia, recovery meds, healing can all impact lab results even at this point. I would request they be done after you had been off extra meds and swelling had stopped.

I have a coworker who craves ice that is anemic.

Edited- not the liver function as mentioned earlier.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Layla! I'm doing great except I still can't get a good night's rest. I can sleep comfortably on both sides now, but I have trouble falling asleep and then sleeping for more than an hour or 2 straight. Anybody else still have sleeping/insomnia issues at 2 months? Still get some achy pains in my butt on that side at night and sometimes calf cramps in the opposite side at night. But all this (except the darned sleep) is really minor. PT is going very well, ROM is coming back and most of the day I don't even notice my new hip! So glad I had it done!
 
Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us. Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!)

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
I normally sleep on my operated side but practiced on the other for a few weeks pre surgery. I’m not a restless sleeper but found sleeping on my back impossible. After a week or so, my PT showed me how to safely slip on my side, still with pillow between my knees, legs together and slightly bent. That worked! Now 7 weeks out and back on operated side.
Hair loss. Me too but not terrible. I was on aspirin for six weeks and I take a beta blocker. Try biotin supplements and a dermatologist can prescribe some topical things and perhaps another medication.
 
A friend has a pre-bedtime reminder on her phone to start her nighttime routine. Another uses the Calm app for bedtime stories. When working I like the lavender chamomile tea but even then I have to remind myself to slow down mentally. It’s not easy.
 
Sleep will come, you're not alone in struggling with uninterrupted sleep. Best advice is sleep when you're able and give all of the helpful hints throughout your thread a try. Hopefully something will aid in more restorative rest for you. Other than that...it seems you're doing well! Great news! :egypdance:Thanks for the update.
@proffrench
 
Hi all! I'll be 3 months post op on July 10. I'm doing very well-- most times I don't even notice my operated hip-- just going upstairs I still feel pulling and discomfort in a ring around my upper thigh. Still can't cross that leg, but I'm ok with that. Maybe that'll come in time. I do have a scar question though-- lately my incision scar (lateral incision) is stinging and pinching. I'm not sure how to describe the feeling. It feels a little like when I still had the staples in. I was released from PT yesterday and my therapist said that there was still a little hard swelling under it that will gradually dissipate. He didn't seem overly concerned. He talked about nerves reconnecting and inner sutures dissolving. I see the OS Monday morning for a regular post op visit, so I'll ask him about it then. There's no sign of infection underneath, nor have I done anything to provoke an infection, so that seems unlikely. Anybody else have this weird scar burning and pulling sensation this far out?
 
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

HERE is an article on wound healing phases.
Hopefully this helps? Best Wishes for your appointment on Monday. Have a great weekend!
 
You might ask your surgeon if he recommends starting very gentle fingertip massage of the incision area with a little lotion.
With my knee replacement it was recommended and I found it very helpful over time to alleviate that under-the-skin hardness.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and enjoyed the long holiday weekend.
It’s good to read you’re doing well. Have a wonderful Summer 2024!
@proffrench
 
Happy 3 months post-op! Sounds like you are doing great!
 
At over 4 months post op now. My husband and I caught covid while on a cruise to Norway mid-July to the first week in August and now we've recovered, thankfully. However, as of Saturday (today is Wednesday), my sinuses have started draining yellow gunk and I'm coughing up yellow gunk. Went to see my PCP today and he prescribed a z pack which I will start ASAP. He thinks my immunity was low due to the recent covid infection. Do I need to worry about this sinus infection spreading to my new hip? I have a lot of medical anxiety to begin with and I sure did not need this! Do I need to worry about an infection seeding to my hip each time I get a UTI or sinus infection? I'm really worried about this!
 
I think that you are probably fine, @proffrench, since you have started on antibiotics. Be sure to complete the entire cycle even if you start to notice improvement.

Since you are worried about this, though, why not call your surgeon's office and let them know what's going on. That might give you some peace of mind.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom