Guest viewing is limited

THR Reclaiming my Future after THR

I'm picking up the z pack now. I did call the surgeon's office and he said he's usually more concerned about antibiotics for colonoscopies and dental work. He said I should be fine, but I am a TOTAL worrywart about anything medical related!
 
@proffrench If it helps at all, I actually got a UTI a week after my THR. No one was worried as long as I received and took my course of antibiotics. Any invasive dental work, cardiac work can introduce bacteria directly into the blood stream which nourishes your joints. That’s why some OSs want you to wait on those procedures or take antibiotics beforehand. Our bodies are great at fighting off the myriad infections we get in various places but need a little help from time to time. As long as they are taken care of before they get out of control, you shouldn’t have to worry. The caveat here is, whether you’ve had joint surgery or no, is to let your care practitioner know if the antibiotic doesn’t improve how you’re feeling in a couple or so days. Sending healing blessings and hoping you feel much better soon.
 
@Hip4life Thank you so much for those reassuring words! Just took day 1 of z pack (and now, as a former C Diff person:gaah:) I wait to see if the C Diff is triggered by the antibiotic. It's silly to think that any of us can go the rest of our lives without an infection of some sort and there are a gazillion people who have had joint replacement, so I'm guessing that most of us survive okay. Shoot, my 85 yr old mom was hospitalized with a horrendous UTI and mild sepsis in June, and she's
had both hips and knees done many years ago. She told me to stop worrying so much, LOL.
 
Hi proffrench! I hope you enjoyed your Norwegian cruise. If you have any travel tips for those following behind, please do share.

I am sorry you're dealing with a sinus infection and some anxiety over it. :console2:

As the non medical professional that I am :curtsey:I believe in a good daily probiotic in an effort to strengthen immune system in fighting off the bad guys. :fingersx: If you're not already taking one, you may want to research it a bit and see what you think.


Feel better soon!
@proffrench
 
@Layla I totally agree about the probiotics. I'm on a board for former and current C Diff patients and just about all of us take or have taken Florastor or other probiotics daily. When we have to take an antibiotic, we literally tremble in fear hoping and praying the dreaded C Diff doesn't return. I take Florastor daily and while on antibiotics, I'll up the dose to 4 a day instead of 2, and add a refrigerated probiotic. I also try to eat yogurt or drink kefir. Thanks for caring! As far as the Norwegian cruise and travel tips for hippies, really just listen to your body. You'll know if you're overdoing it. I had a few days-- mostly airport days-- where I had to tell my husband to just slow down. My PT told me (and I didn't listen to him, unfortunately) to take the collapsible cane with and ask for transportation in the airport. O'Hare in Chicago wasn't too awful, but the Schiphol airport in Amsterdam is laid out so that you walk for miles to get anywhere! I had to stop and rest several times there. It was fun, though, going through the metal detectors and saying "Surprise!" When I warned the airport security lady in Amsterdam that I have an artificial joint, the lovely lady said "we're a judgement free zone here" and we laughed together.
 
When I warned the airport security lady in Amsterdam that I have an artificial joint, the lovely lady said "we're a judgement free zone here" and we laughed together.
Cute! :wink:
I love encountering happy people working their job with a sense of humor.

Thanks for the tip on the collapsable cane. Great idea and one many won't think of.
Have a wonderful day, proffrench!
 
Well...... the OTHER hip just went out on me! What the heck is going on???? I had an xray in January that showed a healthy left hip, follow up xrays of the operated hip always include the left one too and I've mentioned to the OS that the left one has been a little twingey in the groin area. He thought he saw some minor changes from January to mid May, but nothing too awful. Starting yesterday, I'm having trouble just putting any weight on it! I'm limping again and I'm thoroughly disgusted. The pain is on the outside (trochanter area?). What the heck??? I thought I'd have just a LITTLE time between surgeries, but if this goes on, I'm looking at another replacement within 1 yr of the first one. I'm temporarily off my Diclofenac because I developed gastritis while on the cruise (I've had it before, endoscopies always show irritation and erosion of the stomach lining), and I've been trying everything I can to heal my stomach. So along with Pepcid twice a day, I'm subbing out the Diclofenac with Tylenol arthritis, but it's not the same. It's just one thing after another. I feel like I'm rotting from within, one body part at a time. Can the "good" hip fall apart that fast??? Sinus infection, gastritis, hip suddenly painful.... I don't have time for this! I have to take my mom to 3 different doctors in 3 days and face a serious surgery for her within weeks, my MIL is in hospice after her stroke. I don't have TIME to get sick over and over!!!
 
I'm so sorry you're back from your lovely trip with a raft of personal and family issues.

I hope there are other family members or trusted friends who you can reach out to for specific practical support as well as emotional support, giving you a bit of space for dealing with your health challenges.
 
@proffrench Oh, my. It’s a well-known “fact” that things seem to happen in bunches. I’m so sorry it is occurring for you that way. It can be so overwhelming. I once had a friend who became so down because of these circumstances that she exclaimed, “I know they say that God doesn’t give you more than you can handle but I think this is more than I can!” I quickly said (and I’m sure it wasn’t coming just from me) “But He never said you had to do it all by yourself!” I agree with @mendogal that you will need to have some help with all of this right now. It’s not just the specific issues but you still have to deal with the day to day things of life. It is exhausting!

We tend to be global thinkers which allows us to get overwhelmed. Figure out what is most important and deal with the immediate next steps of that. Then the next thing, etc. It’s cliché but true: one day at a time. Don’t put yourself last, either.

To your hip issue: I had something similar happen with my L hip (non-THR side.) I went into the OS all prepared to set up for another THR. There were a few symptoms but the most troublesome was it hurt on the outside of the hip and when I walked any distance, I hurt and started to limp. The X-rays were basically unchanged (mild hip arthritis.) Then we started working on soft tissue issues. Bursitis? Something else irritated? I took Meloxicam and started PT. I had to stop the Meloxicam for the same reason you did. The PT helped some but didn’t resolve the issue. It was torn tendons found on MRI a few months later. Still, it was up to me what to do with that info. The takeaway here is that the best thing is to check in with your OS to get some re-assurance: what it is or isn’t and what the next steps might be. With a very few exceptions, remember, joint issues are non-emergent. That is in your favor. The OS will start simply and work to a more complex diagnosis/treatment plan. You choose what, when, and how. At least, then you will know what you’re dealing with and can put it on the back burner for now, if need be.

Just know you’re not alone. Take care of yourself so you can care for others. That was a hard learned lesson for me under the same circumstances. Keep us in the loop. Sending you prayers and hugs. :console2:
 
Thank you @Hip4life . Wise words indeed and well said. I'm just overwhelmed right now. I need a break. I always say "one catastrophy at a time," and I need to actually believe that and follow through on those words.
 
@mendogal
On my husband's side, he has siblings to help him navigate the hospice situation (and I'm actually a hospice chaplain at our community hospital, so I'm doing what I can to help him out too.) On my side, I'm the only surviving sibling,, so my mom's care is on me. My husband is a Godsend to me too. He acts like a son to her, so I guess we hold up one another. Thank you for being so supportive!
 
I am so sorry that you have stress/concerns all around you. My hips escalated from nothing to seizing up unable to walk. Unfortunately it is possible and your X-rays are showing it. Lean into Bone Smart for guidance and support. Make sure you are prioritizing your needs at this time too. Print out some vacation photos to have around your home to cheer you up! It sounds like you and your husband are a great team! Take care!
 
I'm sorry you are having so much family stress on top of your body needing to heal in so many directions.
I hope it is something else, but it is entirely possible for a joint to go from 'some arthritis' to 'oh dear' very quickly.
 
@sistersinhim, hi there! I noticed in a previous post that you switched from Diclofenac to Celebrex for your arthritis pain. I'm currently dealing with gastritis due to the Diclofenac, taking Carafate 4x a day to try and heal my stomach. I'm off the Diclofenac and just relying on Tylenol Arthritis strength and topical Voltaren on my right foot. I have arthritis from my neck to my foot and all points in between. My hip replacement is terrific! No pain there, but now the other hip is acting up and the bones in my foot are excruciatingly painful. I'm seeing my PCP on Wednesday and I'm going to ask about going on Celebrex because of GI issues that I've had with Diclofenac. However... many, many years ago I was prescribed a sulfa drug for a UTI and I remember my face flushing and itching after I took it. I see that Celebrex contains sulfa. Have you ever had a reaction to it? I'm looking for a safer alternative to Diclofenac. Thanks for listening!

I had been on Diclofenac for many years, and I developed several ulcers. My gastro told me to get off of it, so I did some research and found Celebrex to be recommended for those of us with stomach problems. Since taking it, my tummy has been better. It doesn't work as well as Diclofenac for my arthritis, but does take the edge off. I take one 200mg daily and make sure it's with food. I recommend you discuss this with your doctor. Along with food, I also take a Prilosec beforehand.

I have none of the side effects that you listed. But, then again, it's something to discuss with your doctor. Please let me know how it goes.
 
@sistersinhim
How did you heal your ulcers? You understand then, the gnawing hunger feeling in your stomach when it's empty. I took carafate for an eroded stomach lining 4 years ago and I remember it taking about 6 weeks to feel better. I'm only 1 week into it.
 
I changed to Celebrex, that helped me more than anything. I don't eat really spicy foods anyway, so that wasn't a problem. I certainly do know that gnawing pain. Do you have Tums or something like them to help those pains?

I've had 3 colonoscopies in 4 years. The gastro doctor wanted to make sure I was improving. I still have some discomfort occasionally, but keep wheat rolls and Tums around just in case I get that tummy ache.
 
Hi all. I'll be 5 months post THR on Sept. 10. I've noticed lately that the area directly below the bottom of my lateral incision (from bottom of scar to about 2" below that) is lumpy and a little tender. The scar itself still burns a little at times and has some tender spots. Now my glute on that side is a little sore. I'm worried about an infection of the joint. I had a sinus infection about 2.5 weeks ago and went on a Z Pack for it. The worst of it cleared up and I still have a little residual post nasal drip. How common is a joint infection from a sinus infection? I called my OS's office and spoke with his assistant who told me a sinus infection wouldn't cause a joint infection-- not to worry about it. They'd be more concerned with dental work or skin infections. I'm going to call his office on Tuesday, with tomorrow being a holiday, and get in to see him. Can you still get lumpy bumps below the scar and tenderness in the scar/glute 5 months post op? Exactly how common are infections 4+ months post op? Do I have to spend the rest of my life fearing an infection from an operation that gave me so much relief from pain?
 
I think my scar was lumpy as well & always new & different "feelings" coming from surgery spot. After awhile it becomes somewhat normal & you stop worrying over all these new sensations.
I doubt you have an infection in your hip from sinus issue. Many OS want you to use an antibiotic for dental work because so much bacteria is released from your mouth especially with a cleaning or other procedure. My OS said to use the antibiotics when going to dentist for 2 years which I did. I've only needed cleanings.
 
I posted on Sunday night about the big lump below my scar on my thigh and the sore glute. I'm seeing the OS on Monday, but he did call me at home a few days ago to try and reassure me that infections do not look or feel like this. He's 73 but in great shape and he's seen an awful lot in his decades of doing hip replacements, plus he's the kindest surgeon I've ever met. He says that in all his years of doing replacements, he's only had 1 patient who had an infection post op (about 2 weeks post op). He's seen plenty of infections, but none of them have been related to a joint replacement or bacteria seeding to the joint. That said....... I'm still getting a sore glute area-- like when you do a glute squeeze, and some discomfort directly on the hip joint when I bend down to get something off the floor. I didn't have this even as late as last week. Have any of you experienced a new soreness deep in the glute or a pinch-like pain on the outside of the hip 5+ months post op? I don't recall doing anything to bring this on. It just appeared out of the blue. It would sure go a long way towards reassuring me if you told me that this happened to you months post op and that it resolved itself. I keep asking myself if I did something wrong or overdid something, but I'm drawing a blank. The only thing I can think of is that I had to go off my oral Diclofenac (for arthritis in my right foot) for a week and a half while my stomach recovered from gastritis irritation. During that time, my foot and unoperated hip roared back to life and the pain-- mostly from the foot--- was a 9 out of 10. I hobbled around during that time, so maybe I compensated with my now healthy hip??? I don't know. I'm confused. That hip felt so good as of a week ago-- so good I didn't even notice it anymore-- and now I've got this deep ache in my butt. And I'm sure that by now my husband is feeling that I'm a pain in his a#$ too. :chinstroke:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom