Guest viewing is limited

THR Reclaiming my Future after THR

My first thought was piriformis also when you mentioned the location of the pain.
Does the article, mendogal, left above describe the pain you're experiencing?
I hope it eases soon, proffrench.
@proffrench
 
@Layla @mendogal
It's possible. The sensation I get is like a deep ache right where you squeeze the glute, like if you've been sitting too long on an uncomfortable hard chair. I'll let you know what the OS says on Monday. I'm just at a loss to figure out what I might have done to trigger this.
 
@proffrench - you didn't necessarily "do" anything. It tends to occur as part of the great structural reset after surgery.

Our arthritis-affected weight bearing joint, over time, creates a lot of structural changes as the body tries to adapt to compensate. Some muscles and tendons lengthen and stretch while their counterparts contract and tighten. This can happen below our level of consciousness even as these forces start tugging at bones, skewing our pelvis, our posture, our gait.

All at once in surgery everything is essentially reset by the surgeon. Part of recovering from a hip or knee replacement, besides the actual healing, is a re-modeling of our structure to adapt to our new improved structure.
 
You sure have a lot to deal with & you are very fortunate to have a supportive husband. My partner is extremely supportive as well & has seen me through this ordeal as well as ankle surgery 5 years ago.
My partner's Mom is 87 & has dementia & between him & his two sisters provide 24/7 care & they have been able to keep her home. My partner does 2 days a week & I supply a meal on those days for everyone. Family is the core here & it's too bad you are last sibling to be the one to help your Mom when you aren't feeling great yourself.
I have nothing to add with this onset of pain you are experiencing but I know after my first year I went back to work & had a setback. So bad I could barely walk & had to use my cane again. Heating pad & ice became part of my day once again. I was so upset with myself. My hip was fine on XRays & MRI was ordered and it was determined I had spinal stenosis & that's what I had irritated by going back into restaurant work & running around like I was 20!
So there are setbacks here & there, some of us have more than others but I hope you get the answers you need.
I wish you the best & I hope your Mom will be ok, we can only do so much so don't beat yourself up.
If you aren't healthy you cannot help her.
 
@Layla @mendogal
Interesting about the performing. I read the article and I know that my PCP talked to me about this several years ago, although the pain was different then-- more like pinching and nerve pain. Last night in bed I did one of the piriformis stretches (bring the knee to the chest and holding it there) and that's EXACTLY where I feel the deep ache in my butt. It will give me a more precise way to explain the location of my ache to my OS on Monday. Thank you SO much for suggesting this as a possible source of my mystery ache. I can walk just fine with that hip and bring that bended knee almost down to the mattress when I'm laying down-- all without pain. It's mostly when I sit. Or if I lift that leg up onto the toilet seat to shave my legs, then I feel some discomfort along the outside of the hip, more like a stretch ache. I'll let you know what he says. Searching "ache in the butt" (LOL) on this site shows many, many people who have experienced the same thing. That comforts me. As the child of a German father, we call this "schadenfreude"-- feeling better knowing that others are suffering from the same thing-- a little warped, I know, but it's often true.
 
proffrench,
I think that's why we love this site so much because when we are thinking some ache pain or setback is unusual we come here & find out we are completely "normal!"
Good luck tomorrow & keep us updated.
 
Hello @proffrench
It is a common complaint here, piriformis syndrome, that is. I hope gentle stretches / exercises, along with OTC pain meds when needed, as well as ICE, brings you relief. Let's count on your surgeon providing some words of wisdom tomorrow that offer hope and reassurance. Please let us know how your visit goes and what he feels is at the root of the pain. I'm sorry you have to deal with this and hope it resolves soon.
Best Wishes for tomorrows appt. :console2:
 
Saw the OS today and he felt that the discomfort in the glute was just normal adjustments to the new hip. He said to expect this kind of thing on and off for at least the first year, as inner sutures will be absorbed and soft tissue and muscle rearrange themselves. I continue to stretch the piriformis at night in bed and I think that helps. The discomfort is truly minimal-- just feeling something is a little tender in there when I sit too long.
One question I forgot to ask, but maybe you ladies will be able to answer-- after your joint replacements, did you have to take an antibiotic before your yearly pap smear? It's kind of invasive, really. I'll email my gynie a few weeks before I go in December and see what she says, but I was wondering what your experiences were. Thanks again for all the reassurance and extremely helpful advice!
 
@proffrench Good question and the answer for me was NO! While getting a pap smear is intrusive it usually does not involve any thing that would cause bleeding so there is very little chance that any bacteria would enter the blood stream. Which is not the case with most dental procedure which is why it is usually recommended one take antibiotics before having dental work done.

I'd seen my Ob/Gyn for pap smear and routine exam just before getting referred for hip replacements and she had a very hard time doing the exam because the hips would not "assume the position". Went in for another routine exam about 6 months after getting both hips replaced and she was delighted ..... absolutely zero problems getting the exam done!
 
@proffrench I agree with @djklaugh that an antibiotic shouldn't be needed for a pap test. I've had multiple since my THR and neither the old surgeon, new surgeon or OB/GYN recommended it. It never hurts to check with your provider though.

I know my OS that did my THR did not require antibiotics before any dental work or other procedures. My Dentist was willing to prescribe them but only if the Surgeon sent them a letter stating they wanted them used. My new OS does believe that I should take antibiotics before dental procedures to include cleanings and other medical procedures. And that's for life not just two years.
 
I found it interesting that my OS waffled a bit on the whole antibiotics thing. At first he said no antibiotics needed for routine dental cleaning-- he likened it to brushing your teeth and your gums bleeding a bit (you wouldn't take antibiotics every time you brushed your teeth), but then he hesitated and said it would hurt to take a doxycycline dose 1 hour before cleaning, at least for the first year. So I was confused. As far as the pap test went, he said that it wouldn't hurt to take a doxycycline if I thought the gynie might scrape too hard??? He did say though that for all future colonoscopies and endoscopic the doctor should give me an antibiotic through the IV. I understand that. But the rest of the antibiotics.... I had C Diff 2 years ago due to a surgeon overprescribing antibiotics and I ended up in the hospital for 4 days. It took me months to cure it. I don't take antibiotics now unless I absolutely have to and then I take a whole lot of probiotics with it. So far, so good.
 
*meant to say the OS said it WOULDN'T hurt to take a doxycycline before I go for routine dental cleaning.
 
The thing about colonoscopy is that if they find and remove polyps there's a route for nastier gut normal flora to enter the bloodstream.

With Paps, cervix isn't "scraped hard" enough - leave it to a male OS to come up with that concept (pardon my eye rolling)
 
Happy to read your OS appt went well.
I think you will discover that your other body parts will adjust to the new hip. This is what I think causes us to right away think something with the hip is off.
I had so many hip X-rays first year cause I was sure I had done something to make the hip go wonky but every X-ray showed the hip to be just fine.
I did antibiotics for dental cleaning first 2 years.
 
Im really happy that your Appt went well. That’s great news .

I’m sadly laying in bed with diverticulitis. A thing that I really didn’t need right now. My stomach is rebelling because of the two strong antibiotics I have to take. I don’t think I needed the antibiotics because if the hip replacement, I’ve never seen diverticulitis mentioned to be a risk after hip replacement, but I am always in strong pain when I have diverticulitis, so therefore I have to take medicine. It really frustrated me that this had to happen right now:bawl:

To your question . I really don’t think that it should be necessary to take antibiotics because of your yearly PAP . I have never been bleeding after a PAP. I think we can overdue antibiotics. Also if we only take one or two tablets , it can ruin our stomach for quite a while. I have an appointment for my yearly PAP in three weeks. I told my Doctor that I had a hip replacement in May and she didn’t say anything about antibiotics..

I was having dentist work done last month and my dentist wanted me to take a double dose of antibiotics, because she didn’t know if it was going to bleed and she also didn’t really know how much she was going to repair etc, thatc I could unterstand . So I did take the tablets.

But I am offen thinking about how offen I bite myself accidentally inside my mouth, when I’m eating . That also bleeds , but nobody would be thinking about thanking antibiotics, when that happens .. ??
 
@Jumeirah
That makes sense about biting the inside of your cheek, etc. I'm sorry you're suffering from diverticulitis! I'm still taking medicine for gastritis and worrying about all this just makes it worse. I think you live in Germany? My father's parents came to the US from Germany in 1930. My opa was from Köln and my oma from a little village (Stein am Kocher) in Baden Württemberg. I have lots of family still there and we visit them frequently. @mendogal, I had to laugh at your comment about male obgyns! Luckily for me, mine is a female and she's wonderful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom