Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready Sounds like you are having a fantastic recovery. Obviously, you learned how to do it correctly the first time!! Glad you are progressing and each day is getting both your knees closer to "normal". Summer is winding down and being a retired school teacher, I always get a little nostalgic this time of the year when everyone is hustling and bustling to get the new school year started. Keep taking care of those knees and don't over do!!
 
:angel: :) Ready

It is so good to hear of the wonderful things you have been doing! I am so happy for you and your knees! Biking, shopping, chauffeuring, gardening. But no swimming? I must say, out of the three at our gym (therapy, regular and spa) I like the regular old cold pool best. It feels great after you get over the initial shock and seems to work the same magic as ice. Do try it in the lake, I think you will like it a lot!

So, are you ready to start the school year? Have you been to your room? I am out of time and we go back on Monday, ready or not. In many ways, I feel as though I haven't had much of a summer. I guess it has been a big staycation. :hairpulling: Normally, I am pretty relaxed and energized at the beginning of the year, now I am just nervous. :yikes:

What are your big plans this weekend? Hope it is a great one, whatever you do.

We have company this weekend, so I will update on my thread tomorrow evening when things are back to normal! The knee has held up very well these last family filled (and oh, so slightly stressful) days. :)

Talk to you soon
Becca
 
Hi, Ready; I've just read all 12 pages of your thread because I saw that you're a schoolteacher! I'm a schoolteacher, too, 3 wks 3 days post-surg LTKR, and was sifting through the forum looking for other teachers talking about their experiences. I'm trying to decide what to do about the beginning of the year. I've been well advised that it will be way too soon for me to go back full-time at the beginning of the year, so I've been thinking about ways I could ease in. We have three workshop days T-W-Th 8/27-29 all in my building which is small with no stairs in the parts of the building I will need to be in, so I'm thinking of just starting the day and seeing how I do, with the option of going home if it's too much. (18-minute commute) Then the kids come the day after Labor Day. Half-days really won't work because I'm a high school teacher and we have a block schedule. I'm thinking maybe Wednesdays off to get a break midweek. And I'm resigning from two district committees which are a source of long days. By a fluke of the schedule, about three-quarters of my students will be kids I had last year and already know, which is enormously helpful.

So sorry to read the story of Brandon's death. It sounds like your community has done its utmost to surround his family with love and caring.

Best wishes to you for a great start to the school year on your two new knees!
 
Good Morning (or afternoon by now). Thank you Cathy, Maria, and Becca for your continued support and cheerleading:dancy: . Yesterday was an ODIC day: my own therapy in the morning followed by baking 20 dozen cookies to serve at church, shopped for 3 hours while waiting for my daughter, and went to a party last night--home at 11:30. This morning, I finished my baking and played multiple games of Catan (anyone else play that?) with my family. Nephews wedding late afternoon with reception and dance...I will be ready for a good sleep (which by the way, has been OK lately).

I am going to commit to going in to school for 2 or 3 hours each day this week. My daughter has 2 swimming practices each day (oh, to be young), so I will work while I wait. That should get me ready. I spent about 10 hours last week working on preparing Wellness events for our staff. I am the coordinator for the district, and it becomes such a burden to do the work during the year. Now, I am 90% ready to launch our challenges/events--new ideas and paperwork complete!

I know I should get into the lake. Maybe I need a wet suit. The temps for the past few weeks have only been in the high 60s and low 70s, which is OK, but not with the wind and cold water. At least not for me. Perhaps one day this week....

Hope you all have a nice weekend. Becca, enjoy your guests.
 
DWhit We must have been typing at the time. Thanks for stopping by. So how is it going? You are still so early in the game! I hope you are feeling well and your recovery going well. I will try to pop over to your thread catch up.

We have the same start date. I would never have made it returning to work full time at 5 1/2 weeks like you are planning. I would maybe have made some workshop time. But remember, you are also tacking on your getting ready and your drive time, plus mental engagement energy (if you are like me, the early weeks were all about rest and mindless activities). Maybe you could go on a dry run, like a regular school day, and see how it goes. Are you able to sit while you teach? Our contract says we need to work 3 days of the new school year to be considered employed (insurance and our allotted sick days). Do you have to be concerned about that? If you don't start back full time, will you need to prep much for a sub? I think taking Wed off would be really nice if you do go back full time. Oh, decisions, decisions. Keep us posted on how you are doing and what you are thinking. There are so many teachers here who will chime in.

Have a good weekend.
PJ
 
Hi Ready,

You sure have done quite a bit recently yourself. I am glad that you are getting out and doing things. Doesn't it make you feel good to get back into the swing of things? Take it slow and easy. Try not to over do it tonight. Weddings are always fun.

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
daughter stalker
Yes, weddings are fun, but I sure was ready to get home! It was a lovely day for an outdoor ceremony and a great time to be with family. I left my dancing shoes at home.

Tomorrow, I will be 9 weeks out, 2 weeks to go before I go back to work. I should be ready! Today, I started the day spending 2 hours in the kitchen after church serving for coffee hour (which at our church usually turns into way longer than that). I took my first "swim," which consisted of just some kicking and exercises. I was just basking in the sun on my wonderful lawn chair when my daughter talked me into yet another shopping trip for some back to school clothes. So, off we went. Too many stores. I am now resting my very weary feet. Note to self: better shoes!!

So, that makes 3 straight days in the ODIC. Maybe I should go back to work so I can rest!
 
Ready

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time at the wedding and understand that they can be taxing especially with having another shiny knee. Glad to hear that you left your dancing shoes at home. :) It sounds like you are beginning to build your stamina for your return to work.

Swimming is awesome! I love my swimming pool. :kittykiss: I was in my pool yesterday for about an hour and a half. I didn't swim. I only did some exercises and stretches and lots of rest and relaxation. :SUNsmile: I am glad that you got to swim and enjoy the sun yesterday.

School clothes shopping??? :groan: Yuck! That is a necessary evil, I guess. We love our girls, right? I think I would rather be clothes shopping with my daughter instead of going to work.:heehee: I know it can be quite ODIC. :sos:

It is wonderful that you have 2 weeks before you go back to work. :) Congratulations on being 9 weeks on this side!!! :happydance: You seem to be doing awesome! :dancy:

Have a wonderful day! Time to make the doughnuts! :rotfl:

Take care :flwrysmile:
 
daughter stalker
Thanks for the sunny morning greeting. Looks like you were up bright and early. I am more sore today than I have been in a long time, so I think it will be an easy day today.

Have you done the BTS shopping? Girls are so different than boys. My 16 year old son is just fine with me just bringing things home and couldn't care less which store they came from. I can get a lot of stuff his size at thrift stores! Not so with the female. However, she does know that "less is more." The less things cost the more she can get.

Have a good day today. Hope you don't work too hard.
 
Ready

I'm sorry to hear that you are sore. I guess we all have those days. I am glad to know that you are going to take it easy today. Yes ma'am...I am up with the chickens and the roosters! :heehee:

BTS shopping is quite easy for me. My daughter is not one for fashion. Polo shirts, T-shirts, blue jeans and athletic shoes are what she wants to wear. The only thing that costs me $$$bunches$$$ are the athletic shoes. :groan:OUCH! :hairpulling: My Alabamian is gonna come out...Them there big feeties costs me monies! :loll: How is it that a 13 year old female can have size 8 feet and her shoes cost so much? I know there are more expensive athletic shoes out there on the market, but REALLY?

Have a great evening and take it easy! :flwrysmile:
 
daughter stalker Your daughter sounds very level headed (must be all that stalking you do :heehee:) . I don't get the price of athletic shoes either. All I know is that cheap shoes usually hurt my feet, knees, back, hips....

I took it pretty easy today. I did some exercises, about 1/2 hour of yard work, and a short swim. How was your day?
 
Ready

Sounds like you had a quite relaxing day. :SUNsmile: Oh how I miss those days. The hustle and bustle of work! :hairpulling: It was okay today. The only problem is not getting enough sleep. :tantrum: When will I be able to sleep at least two days in a row and be rested when I wake? I got 4.5 hours of sleep last night. :groan:I got my interviews completed for the first time since I returned. I only had 4 but the times I am able to have them to talk to isn't always convenient. I did get an opportunity to get through all my paperwork and even verified 10 out of 30 inmate claimed Special Education students for services. Sent 2 out to Special Education sites today. I guess I can say that I had a successful day. I wish I could get back up to speed and get the rest of the knuckleheads verified. It is kind of difficult with the school districts now coming back to work and trying to get the school year started. I can't imagine being off like I was for 6 1/2 weeks and having to begin a school year.

It is hard for me to be away because the inmates keep coming in every day. Corrections doesn't get summer vacation, spring break, Thanksgiving break (the schools here in Orlando area take the whole week of Thanksgiving off), or winter break. We are open 24/7. :rolleyes:

I guess I should have placed this extra info on my thread, OOPS! :sorry:

Have a wonderful evening! Take care :flwrysmile:
 
Ready
Hope all is well and you are busy out enjoying your two new knees! I hope you have finished back-to-school clothes shopping with your kids!:heehee: Are you swimming more? I imagine you are out tooling around on your :bicycle1: .
Let us know what is going on! You are getting closer to launch time!

Becca
 
Becca daughter stalker Hope you had good days at work. It's so nice of you to check in. Yes, I have been in the lake. It is so cold, but once I am in, it's OK. It takes my feet hours to warm up, though. I don't feel any pain at all no matter what kick I use. Today, I rode my biked for about 35 minutes. It was so gorgeous, light wind, low 70s. I didn't even hurt when I was done!:dancy:

I have been spending some time working at school, mostly trying to remove clutter. Tomorrow, there is a group of us from school going to "Let's Dish". It's a place where you can assemble a bunch of meals to throw them in your freezer. I did it once before, and although it is more expensive than doing it at home, it is way less than eating out, plus it is a social time with friends. I will have some nice meals ready to go once school starts. We need to travel an hour, doing some shopping, having lunch, so it will be a long but fun day.

Hope everyone is doing well. September is sneaking up on us!
 
Ready

Sounds like you are doing quite well. :dancy: I would love to have a place like "Let's Dish" around my house. Have fun with your friends making meals, lunch and shopping.

Can't wait to find out how much fun you have today. :)
 
daughter stalker Just got home after a full day. We left at 9:30, shopped and had lunch, then went to make our meals. They do all the prep and clean up, you just assemble and take it home. It is so great to know I now have 9 meals in the freezer--and good meals, too. No frozen pizza. Once the school year starts, I end up waiting at school until my daughter is done with practice, which is 6:30. We just live too far away to go home and come back. By the time we get home, it is almost 7. No one wants to cook at 7:00 when everyone is starving. Anyway, my knee survived the day brilliantly.

Did you enjoy your day off? Back at it tomorrow. Sleep well tonight.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom