Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ready To Move On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ready, take it easy over the next month. I know you need to build stamina but you also need to rest.
I think you are very brave to be going back to work full time in a month. From what I remember your colleagues were quite supportive last time so hopefully they will be again.
Your 15 minutes of walking is not measly. It is excellent for five weeks post 2nd TKR since March!
You are doing so well. I am finding the prospect of knee two much harder now that I have got my life back. I am a strange mixture of longing to get on with it and dreading it. I will be much better once I have a date.
Have a great day,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :bicycle2:
 
Ready Hey Ready! Time is passing quickly and I am sure you are continuing to progress. Just had to share something with you. I remember reading from your post that you had two places on your scar that were sort of like pimples and very sensitive to touch. I have had the same thing for several weeks. Yesterday as I was putting oil on my scar, the pimple felt very scratchy. As I looked at it I saw a piece of plastic twine sticking out. Apparently one of my internal stitches had worked its way to the top of my skin instead of dissolving. I pulled it out, put some antiseptic ointment on it and now it is completely gone. May not be what yours are but might be.

My knee is doing great right now. Not even having to take Tylenol. Just hope it continues to do this. Increasing my walking every day but continuing to have those dreaded flashes. Go to doctor next week so hopefully we will finally get to the bottom of this.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend--taking care of those knees!!!
 
Toothfairy Hi, I know I shouldn't complain about 15 minutes, but compared to the good old days...I am grateful to be this far along. I think this recovery has been easier because I knew what to expect. It would be hard to regain your activity level and then go back into surgery. That is one of the main reasons I wanted to do my 2nd right away. Good timing for me and not regrets (other than that I wish I would have done both at once).

maddoxsmama Thanks for the info about the scar. That is what the OS and PT told me to watch for. One day I took a bath, the next day my scar felt fine. I am just on Tylenol now as well, which makes my body happy! Everything seems to be returning to normal (digestion, sleep, appetite) without those strange substances floating around. I truly have no worse pain than before surgery, mostly less. I hope you can get to the bottom of the flashes. I understand totally how disruptive they are and am thankful I don't have many any more. Last night the temp dropped into the 50s with a nice breeze. It was glorious curling up under the covers.

Have a great weekend everyone!
 
Ready Hello! Just checking in to see how you are doing? I am doing great. Actually walking without giving a thought to my knee--and that hasn't happened in over two years! Are you behaving and staying away from the ODIC? Beautiful weather here in KY--in low 80's and no humidity--a nice change from our usual weather. I imagine it is very difficult to not overdo since your one knee is doing well now and you have been side lined for so long with that recovery. Hang in there. As we know, each day gets us closer to where we want to be. Later....
 
maddoxsmama Thanks for checking in on me. I am so glad to hear how well you have done and you are able to be active again! You are a TKR superstar! Today is 7 weeks and I am so happy with how things have progressed. I take very little for pain, usually 500 mg Tylenol midday after I bike or walk and so my exercises and maybe one if I wake up in the middle of the night. I can do most yard chores and house chores without much trouble. I haven't tried getting the weed whip out yet, but I could probably even do that in small doses. It's just heavy and after 5 months I'm not as strong as I used to be.

Our weather broke here, too. The past 3 days were highs in the 60s. Even dipped into the 40s one night. I felt like I was camping as I bundled up to go to bed--but NO HOT FLASHES in the middle of the night on those nights. How goes that problem for you? In a month, I will be heading back to school. I think I will be ready. With my sleep pattern slowly returning to normal, so has my stamina, energy, and enthusiasm. I just talked to a 54 year old guy last night who's hobbling on a bum knee. I may have ignited an interest in TKR in him as I couldn't contain my joy (of course, mixed in with the reality of pain and all the other issues). I even said that if I had a bad 3rd knee, I would tell the surgeon "let's roll." God has been good to me!

Mondays can bring with them a sense of renewal and hope or a sense of dread. I hope you all find the former!Have a great day.
 
Sounds like you are doing great--hope it continues. Still flashing here but not quite as much since we have had a break in the weather. Go to doctor in a couple days so will hopefully get some answers. Heading out to work in my roses since this weather is so comfortable. Later . . .
 
Ready

Hi,

Just checking in and hoping your absence is a very good sign! Let us know what is up when you get a chance! I am sure you are out conquering the world and your garden! :flwrysmile:

Becca
 
Becca and maddoxsmama
Thanks for checking in on me! I have a new milestone to report: this morning I decided to try to ride my regular bike--no problem! I took about a 10 minute ride and even had to climb some rolling hills. I didn't even think to try it earlier because last time I couldn't ride until about 11 weeks. I wanted to keep going, but had already been on my ex bike and gone for a walk and thought I better proceed with caution. I was so excited I thought I would bust! However, my garden has not been conquered. Also, I have been spending a few hours at school each day as I wait for my daughter while she takes a class. I can barely get through with all of the stuff that has been stashed while floors get varnished and carpets cleaned.

I will pop over to your thread to catch up. Hope you are doing well.
PJ
 
Ready

Yea! I am so glad to hear you are well and active! How wonderful you were able to bike! I've only been on my Spinner bike a couple of times a day going no where very slowly! :snork: Do you have a nice weekend planned?

Becca
 
No plans for the weekend. Just enjoying hanging out and having a few friends over. Hubby back in the fields with hay and harvesting oats and straw. My kids will help, so I will hang out at home. I wouldn't try to throw hay bales at this point and can't drive the tractor on the hills--holding the clutch would be too much of a workout. How about you? You should be living it up before school starts.
 
Great to hear from you, Ready! Nice job on the progress, especially the bike. I can't wait to get there, and I think I'm close. I'll find out on Monday. Enjoy this last month before getting back to work! Make the best of it! And, yes, God is good!
 
Oh, biking is so much fun...too much fun! I looked at a few hills that I had not planned on taking and decided to tackle them. I had the strength and no pain! Got home to see that I had been gone 30 minutes. I am poor at knowing when to say 'when', so I am a bit sore, but no horrid pain. I really want to try getting in the water soon. I am feeling very human again!
 
Weekly check-in at 8 weeks: After my bike rides last week, I realized I am not ready to hit the road full throttle. When will I learn? I took it a little easier after that and felt better for it. I don't have much pain, and there are days when I forget to take even a Tylenol and manage pretty well. I spent some time gardening this weekend, spend all day Sunday out and about, and today hit the mall with my daughter for some back to school shopping. I can last a fairly long time before I get tired and stiff. My flexion basically matches the other knee now, I would estimate about 125ish (released from therapy a few weeks back, so no official measurement). I still can't get it perfectly flat. Improving, but not there yet. I am continuing to do strength and stretching at home. I have been very disciplined in not trying a Jillian Michael's workout yet. Soon enough. My left knee is now 5 months old and I am so pleased with it's strength and stability. The right one got off to an even better start, so I am anxious to see what it will be like in 3 months' time.

Summer is fleeting by, the sun setting sooner and the nights cool and comfortable. There is a lot of life to live yet this summer, and I am so glad I get to have some normalcy before diving into another school year. Have a good week, all.
 
That's the spirit, Ready! I like your style!
 
Ready
You sound great! I take comfort in reading your progress and positive outlook! When I think of the fact that you had a 2nd TKR only 3 months after your 1st, I am indeed impressed. I had originally thought to have my left knee done this November. Hahahahahahahahahaha! :rotfl: There is NO way I would do it this year now. My hat is off to you!

I agree with you, our natural tendency is to want to overdo because we want to get back into things after being hindered first by sore, arthritic knees, then by recuperating, sensitive knees. :shocked: I won't hijack you telling you what I did yesterday but :yikes: I am putting it on my thread when I leave here.

Hope you have a great day today!
Becca
 
Hi Ready - thanks for stopping to say hi and I just had to come and check on you, and wow!! is all I can say, riding your bike and doing yard work etc. after just 8 weeks! I am so happy for you and it gives me hope that I will get there, I can't really complain. While my daughter was in the hospital, I did so much walking, and have to admit I never thought about my knee, just going down stairs, I still have to take them one at a time, and it would hit me, that I'm flitting back and forth, long hallways, parking decks, and I could not have done this last year! So we have much to be grateful for, and we surely are blessed to have this option of new knees, if we want them.

I wish you a wonderful week, and please don't over do, but I did feel the joy you felt while riding your real bike, even if its inadvertent for now!

Best wishes for continued fabulous recovery! :friends:
 
Thank you my friends, for stopping by, and for your kind words. I truly have had a wonderful recovery and am so glad I took the plunge and had them both done close together. I hope I never take this blessing for granted! My hope is that eventually every one of you finds satisfaction in your recovery--maybe your not there yet, but hang in there. Make it a great day!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom