TKR Randi's In Recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question - so glad you smarties have all the answers !:thumb:

Are other folks using ankle weights for leg lifts? I started in PT and have continued on my own but I do notice the stiffness increases after I use them (pretty much after I do anything..:scratch:). I'm only lifting 2 pounds -was told the goal is to reach 5 pounds but to increase very slowly...

Today is 9 weeks post-op. I feel the need to reflect on this journey so far.

The fact that my knee is still uppermost in my mind and largely dictates what I do or don't do is somehow concerning. I thought by now I would have moved on somewhat.

On the other hand this focus is probably why I've done so well. I'm truly lucky that I am in a unique position to have very little other than my recovery to have to worry about right now. I am away from home -well, in my second home -which happens to be in sunny Florida -and here it is easy to walk, swim, etc.- at my own pace, on my own schedule. Very nice but it feels self-indulgent. However, I am alone , which is not so great. (Company coming tomorrow ..so this phase is about to end..)

I am getting itchy to get back to work and that tells me I have progressed. My work entails lots of standing, hours at a time, while teaching /training..and lots of sitting at my computer and at meetings. I will be able to ease back but the physical demands will be heavy.

I find that my best support system - family and friends -are tired of me talking about all this. They were all great early on but have had enough. Thank you Bonesmart for filling in...

And how do I feel ? Still ups and downs. I get excited when I can do something I couldn't do pre-TKR, but I often do too much and pay the price. I get frustrated when I get up from a low chair and realize it still hurts. I am trying to be patient...some days are easier than others..I am trying to be 'good'..do all my exercises, eat well, stay positive --but it's not always easy.

Overall, of course I'm happy that the surgery is behind me and I am delighted that I can walk for 30 minutes, or bike for 20, and want to do more...My "good' knee is rearing it's ugly side so I may have to do this again -and I won't hesitate when the time is right.

This has been a life changing experience. I can't wait until I am not thinking about this all the time!

Thanks for listening...:ThankYou:

Aaaah, Randi, welcome to the wonderful world of TKR recovery. Its just a paradox---so good and so bad at the same time :sigh:. And we were warned by lots of smarties here on the forum---but somehow we tend to think that we'll be the exception :snork:.

But actually, you are doing really well. And it will continue to get better and better. But it sure is a slow up and downhill march. I too felt frustrated at around 6 weeks, but finally made myself accept that it really is going to be at least 6 months before I really felt normal again, and probably a year before I can really just not think about my knees. Now at 16 weeks I really believe this.

PATIENCE :th_heehee: is the only thing that's going to get us there---and most of us just aren't. We just want it NOW. Silly us---the knee knows, and whatever the knee wants, the knee is going to get.

Hang in there---keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy

Hey Randi,

It sounds to me like overall you're doing really well! That's so cool that you can walk for 30 minutes and bike for 20! I am nowhere near that yet, and largely because of my unoperated knee.

I guess some of us got the opinion before the TKR that we'd be up and prancing about at this stage already, but it turns out that we are all different and have different rates of progress.

I know what you mean about some people who are tired of listening to all the TKR news all the time...

When do you plan on going back to work? I've been working from home but will probably go back to the office on a limited schedule next week.

Thanks Judy and Bassplayer. It is so important to know that I am not alone in this weird world of recovery. And, in case it hasn't shown yet :snork: I'm not the most patient person ! I also have the world's most optimistic OS. He thought I could manage down here on my own at 3 weeks post-op ..No way. I barely did it at 6 weeks. If I have to do this again one thing I would do differently is stay in PT for the fully allotted 8 weeks- even if I'm doing as well as this time- just because I have so many questions ...

I'm not sure about when I'll be going back to work. I work as a consultant and have lots of flexibility. I won't be back in Toronto until mid-March and then going away , to Israel actually, in mid-May .I'm hoping to continue some work I had done before and pick up a few training days just to test things out.

Meanwhile -I am living the lazy luxurious life. Tomorrow my Daughter is coming for a few days and from then on I'll have company so maybe I can focus on something other than this goofy knee for a bit !

I'm going to try this question again because I think it got lost above somewhere....

What is people's experience / knowledge about using ankle weights when doing leg lifts and other leg exercises ? I started this in physio and have been using 2 lb weights- supposed to continue up to 5 lbs...But I'm not so sure this is useful. What do you say ?

Josephine, In the link you provided about the tightness and feeling like you have a band around your knee, you said that this is caused by scar tissue. My doctor told me one of the best ways to combat the scar tissue is with deep massaging around and on the incision itself. I take vitamin E cream and really massage it hard, about four times a day. It definitely helps and I think my incision is looking pretty good for only being 5 weeks old.

ai1200.photobucket.com_albums_bb325_egulch2_knee2.jpg

[surprise]If it hurts, don't do it.[/surprise]

Funny :rolleyespink:....But what I'm really asking is, is there any proven reason to continue this or are there other ways to increase leg strength that work as well? It doesn't hurt -I just don't like it !!!

The fact that my knee is still uppermost in my mind and largely dictates what I do or don't do is somehow concerning. I thought by now I would have moved on somewhat.

Trust me on this---I felt the same way for some time about my knees after my BTKR; now, I do not think about them much, if at all. They are very much a part of me now and the only time i really think about them is if somebody asks how they are doing. Down the road, your life will not be dictated along the lines of your new knee. It will truly be "normal."

Randi---I also honestly understand your Itchiness to return to work. I believe that our work is what defines us, and I wanted to---I had to---return to the classroom at eight weeks, as my OS said I could. OUCH!!! It slowed down my recovery, but I was back to doing what I loved to do.

Those ups and downs may continue for a while; my recovery went on for about 5 1/2 months. (That was when i lost my slight limp. I finally felt normal at about eight months. You will, at nine weeks, continue to have some little bumps in the road, but the road will smooth out a little at a time.

You write about patience---while nine wekks or so seems like enough time to be recovered, you still have a way to go. I remember it too---"Hey, I have done my time!" Those TKR's set the schedule for healing by themselves, so nine weeks it about, I would say, halfway there. (Mine was closer to 20-24 weeks.)

You can gain ROM upwards to a year, and many have said that it takes a year to be "normal" again.

You are indeed correct that this is truly a life-changing experience---it makes us better in so many ways and on so many levels.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us!

I'm going to try this question again because I think it got lost above somewhere....

What is people's experience / knowledge about using ankle weights when doing leg lifts and other leg exercises ? I started this in physio and have been using 2 lb weights- supposed to continue up to 5 lbs...But I'm not so sure this is useful. What do you say ?

I used ankle weights to deal with my adhesions---that was about the only thing I used them for. I did lift weights---knee extensions and knee curls along with single and double leg presses in PT.

I never used ankle weights in doing leg lifts---just used the simple up/down fo my legs themselves.

Thanks Tim - that's a good reality check.

BTW -ROM is not a problem - I was at 130 at 6 weeks..lucky.

Thanks Tim - that's a good reality check.

BTW -ROM is not a problem - I was at 130 at 6 weeks..lucky.

That is awesome. My adhesions really put a frustrating damper on my ROM progress---but I got there!

I truly believe that rebuilding muscle strength and stamina takes quite some time, so slow and gentle is the way to go.

Yup - i'm listening ...slow and steady. And just like knowing when to give up meds, my knees are letting me know when I can do more...Yesterday my daughter who is visiting with me noted that I had a very "normal" day ..We walked 15 minutes to and from a restaurant for breakfast, I rested and iced a bit , then went on the bike for 25 minutes, then the hot tub, then the pool, another rest and ice break - shopped the mall for an hour, then out for dinner..and I was tired but not at all sore or stiff ! Yay:yes 4: ! Today, I'll take it a bit easier but just knowing I can do all this again without repercussions is oh so motivating. Long may it last...:flowerysmile:

Boy---that is a great post! I am glad that you are making excellent progress! You will have many, many more of those days---even more enjoyable!

Glad to hear you are doing so well! When you are here in Israel in May I might be having my next TKR!

Maybe I'll come visit if the timing works out...don't have exact dates now but not worrying about coming anymore - I can see so much progress every day that by May I should be dancing at my nephew's wedding !:biggrin:

Maybe I'll come visit if the timing works out...don't have exact dates now but not worrying about coming anymore - I can see so much progress every day that by May I should be dancing at my nephew's wedding !:biggrin:

You'll be dancing, and I'll probably be in the hospital or right after. Either way, I hope we can meet! :friends:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom