Guest viewing is limited

THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

Just catching up on my reading, we’ve been away for 4 days and just getting back to my daily routine.
@hipcycle
You are really doing fantastic. I’m so happy you’ve taken time to document your recovery here so that down the road it might help another person’s recovery.
Was nice to read your post.
Stay well!
 
@myglasshalffull

Great to hear from you MGHF. My little missives are a good opportunity for me to sit down and sort of review what I have been doing, gain perspective as it were, but also, I hope of some use to others, with the proviso of course that we and our recoveries are all different in so many ways.

Hope you are well by the way, and hope you had an enjoyable 4-day-away-trip!
 
@hipcycle
Yes, we were up in Saratoga at the horse races. We love it up there. About a three hour ride from our house.
I walked the entire area several times to get my steps in! First day I did close to 3 miles! I was amazed cause didn’t feel like I had done that much.
Walking is my favorite form of exercise. I even park as far away from stores to get steps in.
Stay well!
 
Congratulations @hipcycle you've done really well and by putting your experiences down in words on here will hopefully encourage others. Yes meditation is very powerful, and healing in its own right. I’m seriously impressed you avoided the ODIC too!
Keep up the great work.
 
@myglasshalffull

Glad you had a nice break on all counts at the races MGHF, including the walking - hope you didn't feel tempted to break into a canter with the horses :running:
 
@Legseleven

Thank you very much L11, and yes, the meditation is key for me - this post surgery stuff is pretty taxing mentally as well.
I have been following your progress on the QT, and glad to see that you are getting over the worst of the post op hump - great when we have those little milestones. Another minor one for me is being able to carry a full cup of tea to the living room without spilling it. Sounds trivial, but it took many weeks post op to achieve this, and more importantly, I can enjoy a cuppa at my sofa!
Also great to hear you are sorting through your possessions etc- something I need to do as well, and easier to schedule now that the weather has turned.
Onwards and upwards for both of us, and thank you again :wave:
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I can't believe it's four months to date already since your revision. I hope you've enjoyed the past couple of weeks since we last heard from you. Wishing you a beautiful Autumn 2026!
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Hi Layla

Yes, the last few weeks have gone well - both hips continuing to improve, even the left hip after its more complex revision, now nearly 11 months post op. My daily pattern at the moment is say 1.75 hours of indoor cycling, or a 7 mile hilly walk, paired with an hour of relatively demanding calisthenics/weights, followed by a day off, and rinse/repeat. This day on/day off pattern seems to work well for me, and I like the challenge/consolidate aspect. It goes without saying that continuing to see both hips improving, especially the left even now, gives me great joy still.

Looking back at the last year, I think my whole approach can be summarised by a Welsh idiom "Dyfal donc a dyr y garreg" - tapping persistently and consistently, even with small taps, eventually breaks the stone, no matter how big!

Hope you are doing well by the way, and hope you enjoy the autumn too - I did notice your kind Fall translation to British English :happydance:
 
Morning @hipcycle
Boy you are really killing it! You have found the perfect combo of day on day off to maximize your recovery.
Autumn is just about my favorite season here.
We just returned from a week in California & on drive back to the house I could see tree tops already turning color.
Stay well!
 
@myglasshalffull

Hi MGHF,

Great to hear from you, and hope you had a wonderful trip. And yes, I enjoy the autumn too, but for me it also always brings with it a sense of sadness, of an ending, and a tendency towards melancholic memento mori - such is life!

And yes, my current regime is working OK I think - hard enough to satisfy me, whilst enjoying the alternate days off, but still firmly skirting the clutches of ODIC, and long may that continue!

:thankyou:
 
Last edited:
You're amazing. It's wonderful to read how well you're doing.
At only four months post op, it's going to get even better. Keep doing what you're doing because it's obviously working.
Take care!
@hipcycle
 
@hipcycle
Yes, we had a great trip. My son moved there last year for his job after 20 plus years in Texas. Same company, different project.
With this nice crisp weather here my walking shoes are getting a good workout! Plus little dog I babysit keeps me on my toes! He loves walking so adds to my enjoyment. Walking is my favorite exercise now that I’m older.
I used to run 5k’s in my 50’s. And I did kickboxing which I also really enjoyed.
But now my exercise is cleaning and walking! lol!
Stay well my friend.!
 
@myglasshalffull

Great to hear that you had a good trip MGHF. And that your son is going against the trend and moving FROM Texas to California!

As to the walking etc, having your little dog around I'm sure is a great motivator for walking.

And you stay well too - the clocks will be turning back an hour before we know it :bignono:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom