Guest viewing is limited

THR Rainbow Recovery for Great Aunt Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that we need to bottle that humor!

Funny thing about weight, I was weighed the day of surgery. Post surgery I had gained 10 pounds!!! Didn't even get to enjoy yummy treats that would have caused the weight gain.
 
I gained ten pounds too. All retained fluids as I didn't eat much. Unfortunately I have gained 6 pounds in the last three weeks. Yikes! Gotta get moving.
 
Oh @JanetLynn - it is your surgery date today! All the very best for a superb surgical team on top form and a great recovery! :happydance:We'll be looking out for you in the recovery thread and hope you are saving us up some great tales - keep smiling!

Hubby on the other hands could procrastinate and does everything at the last minute. The only thing he ever is on time for is a golf game. But that is probably why we get along do well, opposites and all. So thinking of taping a razor unto a ruler to shave the forest on my legs. Good idea?
We ARE married to the same man @sunbunny! A truly lovely, delightful bloke who just needs pretty constant, um, managing!
:gaah:Mind you, he has been a lot better than usual since my op and has been having all these spurts of doing stuff when he suddenly remembers he is the duty house fairy. He has really been good. I had to (and I quake at telling others this, seems like too much info, but...) get him to cut my toenails last weekend. Arggh, romance is dead. But no other option, unusual autumn heat made them grow quicker. He did OK, but I am still mortified.:oyvey:

This razor idea is a little bit worrying, I picture Sunbunny blood everywhere. I am lucky, we are close enough to winter to have no need of bare legs in public, so am wearing full length pants to cover the fur. For now. Maybe we should both get ourselves out to the beautician! :)

better after crying — all that stuff that used to make you sad has literally been removed."
How wonderful @JulieJF - and don't those different reasons for tears make different results in the photos? I can see the laughs in that last one! Teary folk of the world unite! I shall remember that.:boohoo:

However, I think post op blues @Constanze is quite different to a good cry - there is a good article in the forum library about it - I have been looking out for the problem, but so far have been very lucky and haven't noticed anything like that. But I can imagine it happening to all/any of us - big operation, lots of fear and ups and downs, away from home - all adds into a very stressful time. That is why this forum is so good for de-fusing things for me anyway. And it sounds like Bienenstich is the ideal antidepressant (for limited periods only, ha!), sounds delicious - I remember that Germany is the best place for really good bread and cakes - that would test the most determined of weight-watchers. I am gearing myself up to start being a bit more disciplined again next week as me and he are both comforting ourselves with the biccies a little too often at the moment.
 
@Granny Di & @webbie73 - yes, I can feel the extra weight around my middle although haven't been brave enough to get on the scales yet, unlike you two. Next week, next week, next week (if I keep saying that, I will have to do it!). I don't want to wear out my shiny new hip too quickly. :eyebrows:
 
My your posts are fun to read Janet. I think the longterm chronic pain has destroyed my grey matter as I have difficulty remembering which poster has had what when and what they have said. Can I blame it on meds too?
 
I had lost 30 lbs pre-op and gained some of it back but as I get more active and the weather gets nicer, I'm losing again.

Re hubby grocery-shopping. Not only did I have to make a comprehensive list, I had to draw a diagram of the store and mark where every item was located. Serious.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Laughing out loud @beachgal
I googled shopping lists and checked off what we needed. Really my husband has become the domestic I wish he had been for the last 45 years of our marriage. This hip job has been great for our marriage so there's a silver lining in every cloud. In fact it is tempting to pretend I am not as "fit" as I really am. He waits on me! Love it.
 
I've lost about 15 pounds since my OP. The plague I had the week before surgery caused me to not eat much for a few days and I've been eating smaller portions ever since. For some reason I fill up faster so I stop eating long before I used to. Dunno why but I'm not going to complain.

I broke the news to my wife that I'm gonna need her to cut my toenails soon. I'm more concerned about losing toes (I've seen her cut the dog's nails :shocked:) than any impact on intimacy.
 
my husband has become the domestic I wish he had been
YES! absolutely, it has been great training for the future - and very reassuring that the place wouldn't fall to rack and ruin just because I couldn't sort it out. These boys, we don't credit them with enough sometimes :) :) ;)
:horseriding: (I'm on a horse...)

had to draw a diagram of the store and mark where every item was
Classic! Would love to have seen him going round with his trolley and map, muttering. :heehee:

ost about 15 pounds since my OP
Man! It must be all your blokey muscles, burning away better than my girly ones. Are you actually eating biscuits at all? This is just your revenge for all the (mildly disparaging to menfolk) domestic arrangements comments, and by golly it is good revenge! Very envious, although I wouldn't have wanted your plague either. Good luck with the toes, we don't want any other injury pics resulting! :scaredycat:
 
Very envious, although I wouldn't have wanted your plague either. Good luck with the toes, we don't want any other injury pics resulting!

You definitely don't want anything to do with that plague.

No revenge sought. I was rather surprised when I weighed myself to be honest.

We'll attempt the toe nails this weekend. I told my wife I don't want any more injuries. I have my fair share!
 
@torment, find a good nail salon and treat yourself (and your wife!) to a nice pedicure. You'll both thank me!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ooh do go for it @torment ... you get your legs all massaged and rubbed, moisturized and nice looking toenails! and "my" place has a chair that gives a back massage as you sit as a bonus (make sure they switch off the seat part... that "gentle pressure" is anything BUT gentle to a new hip!) I never had a pedicure until after my THR, only then because I couldn't reach my toenails (restrictions, I could reach them prior to the THR by doing my own contortionist act :heehee: so they never looked great) and I figured hubby was picking up enough of the slack, now I'm a convert! Make sure you use a reputable salon that uses sterile instruments and fresh water etc - or go to a chiropodist.

Taking your wife will be lovely, for you both :SUNsmile:
 
I am gonna do it - you have converted me @beachgal & @craftdee & @torment!

That will be when I finish my NORMAL (only 4hrs, I won't boast) shift at work each day next week! I did an hour every day and a bit extra to cover a coach-load of people last week and it all went very well, so I have got officially signed off the 'sick list' and from Monday I'm properly back. I don't have any kind of a commute of course, and have got one of those X chairs (that you half kneel on) for when I need to use the PC - keeps a great angle for my hip, about 125 degrees! I will still take it easy on the running about, and won't be lifting anything - but I am so pleased to be able to start back - our visitor season is just starting to get busy at last, and we all have a great time meeting everyone (as you can imagine, I don't stop talking much) on their travels, so would hate to miss it.

I'm sleeping really well, walking a teeny bit better every day, and just came in from walking around the showground (eating hot chips, um) as it is show weekend here. I got a first in the bread making comp with my cottage loaf - third year in a row. I will confess, there were only two entries in the bread ... and the other one was my husband's rosemary rolls. He did get second! Ha. :cheers2:

It is just sitting I still find uncomfortable after a little while, so my bed is where I stretch out and relax in between all the activity. Haven't done any proper PT at all (they only visit the town once a week anyway) but am doing my own exercise program based on hospital sheet and bonesmart. Side leg raises are the hardest and the ones I think I need to really crack to help with my gait. The man says I walk like the alien off Mars Attacks... nice. Focus!!!

:chuckmarch:
 
So you talk and bake too! You are doing so well getting back to work and all. Be prepared to feel exhausted as it can really hit hard. You gave me my morning giggles so thanks for that. I was going to do the pedicure thing but I lost several toenails on my Patagonia trek so there isn't much to pedicure and they are taking a long time to grow back.
Major milestone achieved: I can cross my legs! Am I allowed to do that? :heehee:
 
Ah, the weekend has arrived! If I sound smug and self-satisfied, it is because I am - after a whole week at work! OK, well, I am lucky enough to only work part-time and it isn't very tough work at all - but still, it is under my belt and no problems at all. I could do flights of stairs, up and down, using both legs normally by the end of the week; an improvement from Monday, when I just couldn't comfortably go up like that. No sticks etc. No lifting either, I think that will be a while.

Wound is all healed nicely and quite flat now all the underneath stitches must be dissolving, and the only place I find uncomfortable is our sofa - too low, too squishy - I get kind of crampy and twitchy if I sit or lie on it, unlike my wonderful bed. I took an hour's rest stretched out each day getting home from work, and that was great and enough.
:sleep:
I have re-started my daily walks with my dog + friend's dog from today. Slightly nervous in case anyone thought they were Johnny Depp's pooches (they do look similar) and rushed me, but all good. :) I don't walk as smoothly with them in tow though, hanging onto the leashes means I can't do my balancing arm swinging properly and it makes me a bit jerky. A good goal to improve on by next weekend.

Another thing I want to do is ride my bike to work - it means I can go and do a bit of grocery shopping and put stuff in my bike basket - carrying it when walking is not comfortable, and otherwise have to take my car (boring, and feels silly for four blocks). Has anyone got any advice about when it's ok to start riding again? I never got organised with an exercise bike, so haven't practiced.
:bicycle2: (hope not)
 
@Great Aunt Janet drums, trumpets, and tambourines! My you are doing so well. Walking your dogs...not husband, wow..very brave. Back to work. Awesome. I had lost a good deal of weight prior to surgery but I have gained ten since home. I have to stop thinking about food. Bad habits. Trying to help hubby cook now...hmm I need to order a dose of patience. He has been absolutely wonderful. But my type a personality tends to rise sometimes. Anyways so proud of you. I have a recumbent bike that I need to dust off. Have a great weekend.
 
Nice to hear you're doing so well! Our recoveries both seem to be reasonably smooth with only minor annoyances here and there. I'm waiting for Dr clearance before I start doing stairs normally. I'm sure I could do them without issue, but better safe than sorry so it's baby stepping till then. I've been looking forward to riding my bike again, but I've really been leaning toward getting a recumbant. Regular bikes are kinda hard on my neck, and well, laid back is more my style anyway! I just wish riding near my house was practical. I pretty much have to load up and drive about 30 miles to a bike trail to do any decent distance riding without risking my life too much.
 
Hey @torment - 7 April must have been a good day for bone doctors eh? I think we have both recovered amazingly quickly (although you are definitely up for the what-next-award, what with bugs,backs etc) - I feel very lucky indeed.

I hope you get your recumbent bike like @sunbunny, I don't think I've seen one in real life (and here, in our little bush town, my husband on his US style 'beach bike' gets teased mercilessly, so goodness knows what the boys would say about a lying-down bike parked outside the pub!), but I imagine they are really comfortable. Shame you don't have anywhere nearby for cycling though, it is always annoying when you have to travel to do something so in tune with nature, isn't it? Or is that just me?

Get back in the kitchen @sunbunny! I have a banana cake in the oven right now, and must not be the only one of us to get fatter.
:curtsey:
 
@Great Aunt Janet I can see you outside the pub now. Maybe you could charge for rides! Hehe! Hmmm. Hot banana cake. You go girl. Today it was hotdogs and coconut cream pie. Thank god for stretchy capris! Lol! I start out with good intentions but when the stuff is in the house. Ok one last party on Monday night. I bet this celebration may be unique too. Our daughter finds out what our new grandchild is on Monday but the nurse will put the details in an envelope. They will take the envelope to a bakery who will fill the cupcake with either pink or blue. Then when the family gets together Monday night. We will bite into the cupcake for our surprise. Of course the ultrasound is not really just for gender but to make sure all is ok. She is a high risk case and has a cerclage. But we hope and pray all is ok. Hugs to you..have a great weekend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom