Guest viewing is limited

THR Rainbow Recovery for Great Aunt Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Great Aunt Janet - I see you haven't posted here for a while so I am just checking to make sure that you are okay -just being your lazy self.... walking, working, riding and whatnot. I miss reading your funny posts but i can see that when we are getting better we get too busy to spend time on Bonesmart.
Cheers!
Diane
 
Hi Di @Granny Di! Am definitely still being lazy in every best way, quite right. Having fun reading everyone's posts and just catching up - yes, as I can do more, I am on line a bit less, so I have missed out on lots.

I am working again this weekend - it is the Queen's Birthday holiday weekend here in Queensland - and we have heaps of visitors in town for all sorts of sporting competitions (not me) - golf, lawn bowls, rugby and horse racing! So I am hoping to capitalise on the extra people about, sell a bit more icecream and hear and tell some more long stories.

Hip is doing fine with it all - how about yours now? Getting lots of miles under your belt? Has summer come with nice weather for you? We are in winter now, but that means 7 degrees at night and a sunny 24 in the day. NOT BAD EH?

rightio, time to get some respectable clothes on and pedal off down the road (literally 2.5 minutes) and feed the ducks, raise the flags and polish the till in readiness. Au revoir mes amis! (don't know why the bad French, but it is Sunday and I am talking with Canada too!) xxx
 
Lovely to hear you are doing so well, hope your ice creams sold well! Do you stand up all day at work? I'm still uncomfortable standing still for any time - I go very stiff and sore. Hey, your winter sounds hell! Much better than our summer so far! x
 
Hi @isolde - yes, I stand quite a bit - but a lot of moving between one place and another as well - that is all fine mainly, although tired at the end of full day weekends. It is the sitting that gets me - I do most of our data input (which is not really a lot) and am trying to use one of those kneeling chairs (remember from the 80s :)). Still not that comfortable but I do hop up and down a lot as people come in and out.

I suppose you have to sit when driving the train (a-mazing!) - how do you find it? Have you been signed on to go back to work yet?
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet, I just saw your post on my thread and as you saw, I'll be back at work on Monday 15th after my medical. Yes we have to sit when driving trains - on older ones it was possible to stand, and a lot of drivers did that, but not on the ones we have now. I got very stiff with the arthritis, and got in the habit of standing up every time I was stopped at a station, which helped. Also I go for walks on my breaks which helps - some of our breaks are at Brighton, which is lovely, or at Blackfriars where you can walk along the Thames footpath or around the old streets around St Pauls Cathedral - and we get paid for that!!!
 
Nice workplaces @isolde! Sort of sightseeing with pay - and wonderful to have the variety for your walks. You could double up and do guided tours. I think that is a good habit (standing up regularly) anyway, and it definitely works for me - sitting for ages is a real no-no (pre and post hip). It'll make you look like a nicely alert train driver - v reassuring!

Thanks @Poppet, good advice about the rests, and I am being my newly-normal selfish self when it comes to looking after myself these days, could join bed-lovers anonymous! :)
 
Jolly good -- but I think I beat you to it, I love bed.. lol. It is so easy to just keep going, we feel well, full of energy etc. etc. just that last load of washing! Then the next day, it's like 'hang on, why am I feeling washed out....' So easy to do x
 
Bed lovers anonymous? Sign me up! Here is a picture of the bug killer racket. It has batteries and a button on the side that gives the wire their electric current and if you get the little critters just right there is a zap and a flash. Oh so satisfying at times.:wink:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Rainbow Recovery for Great Aunt Janet
    skeeter killer.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 180
I'm going to look for a skeeter killer online right now! They sound brilliant (especially for us folks with quite small noses @Legin!) - can't understand why we don't have them to use with the 'great australian wave' on flies as well. :)
 
What fun a zapper for the bugs in our life...hmmm how does it work for a hubby bug...just a little zap. I went to the Broadway show today, Dirty Dancing ( like the movie with Patrick). I have been worried about all the sitting and came in with a pillow for my bum and one for my back. I was good for the first hour but then I was one squirmy gal. Very sore tonight. Show was good and I love the songs. I can't wait until sitting endurance happens. Hugs
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sunbunny - Sitting endurance? :heehee: I can identify with that. At least biking I can stand up every once in a while. I find I have to change position frequently - darn stiffening! Dirty Dancing must have been wonderful live. Were people looking at you funny with all your pillows?
Have a good night!
 
Can totally relate to the sitting endurance issue - would have also gone to see Dirty Dancing - well worth the squirms - but here I sit, not at the cinema watching the new Mad Max (not keen enough) as I know the double deckchair seats would kill me. Definitely bum down low and knees in the air. I might have to take my own chair from home if there is something on I really want to see! :bored:
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet - I was just curious and reading the latest news on your recovery thread. It looks as if things are working out great for you. Whereabouts in Queensland is the closest town from where you live and work. My husband's and my favourate place in Australia is Cairns. We also like Whitsunday Island, and the Daintree Forest (rain forest). I walked there last year - 4 km and didn't feel too hot.

I understand you work in the Outback. Must be a nice place to work. My work as a translator involves sitting, too. I'm surprised it doesn't present any problems for me - n hip and backache. Your winter is as warm as our summer. It's 24°C here now. I'm going swimming in the lake after work again today. The lake is only 2 kms from my work. It's the lake were the swimming of the Ironman Germany takes place, and both professional and amateur triathletes use it to train for the Ironman.

So you know French as well. Where did you learn all these languages (how many?). That interests me because I'm a language person. But the only languages I can write and speak fluently in are German and English. I don't use the others enough (what a pity).
 
Hi @Constanze - lake swimming, lovely (but would prefer well over 24 degrees before I do it) - you are so energetic! Sounds like you are having a problem free recovery like me, we are so lucky - but we have done it quite differently and still had the same result. Maybe it is all about getting a slick surgeon after all - or just luck really!

I, er, don't really KNOW French, but some strange connections in my brain often merge English, French, German or invented geological terms into phrases. Is this what they mean by harking back to your childhood as you get older? Not like your own skill and experience with translating - and how many other languages do you know?
he only languages I can write and speak fluently in are German and English
- very clever! My best translating comes with menus, I am pretty spot on when deciding on dishes, ha!:cheers2:

The closest town to mine that you might find on a map would be Longreach - if you look at Brisbane, go up the coast till you hit Rockhampton, then due west for a day. I agree, Cairns is lovely for visiting and for getting out to the reef, but I like going further south where the crocodiles and box jellyfish are not! Walking in the Daintree would be magical in our winter - too too sweaty in the summer though! Now you have your new hip you can really make the most of your trips - are you planning one soon?
 
You have the right idea by keeping so busy physically and moving. My PT told me that sitting is not good for recovery. I'm slowly realizing that, yes, I can actually take a walk and more than just up and down the street. I used to walk everyday. I have to remind myself that I can do that again. PT 2x a week is not going to cut it!
Having a late night tonite -- it was margaritas & fajitas tonite with friends. Alcohol keeps me awake, but I feel no pain! :yawn:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Great Aunt Janet - This idea of languages and menus sounds good. If you are good at reading menus, you can probably read the menues of Italian pizzerias in Italian :). If we go to our local pizzerias, we can always learn some Italian from the waiters. By harking back to your childhood, do you mean, you have German and French-speaking family members? That would be nice. The strange thing is I have absolutely no English-speaking ancesters but I've been taking an interest in the language since I was 11, married an English husband and have 4 bilingual daughters. The other language I studies was French. I also learned Spanish when my daughters learned it at school because I liked it. 4 years ago I also started an evening class in Russian, because we went to Moscow and St Petersburg and were illiterate then - so I thought I'd learn the language, go again and enjoy it more - crazy idea - we haven't been back there ever since.

Yes, it's true about the jelly fish and crocodiles. We were told to take care. The reason why my husband chose that part of Australia is because it's different - so totally different from anywhere in Europe - landscapewise. In fact, we're going to Cairns in July. He bought a little holiday house there. We want to let it. We are going over to look at it and get some organisational stuff done. Someone said that's a lot of courage so soon, but if my hip can go to work, cycle and swim like that, it can go on a long-distance flight. It's actually still getting even better day by day. In week 6, I still experienced slight soreness on the left leg from time to time - that seems to subside now. Also working on my ROM. I have found some good yoga videos on the internet and practice yoga in my office in the lunch break to get warm and stay flexible, because my office is cold, dark and stuffy. Yoga obviously works better now than it did last winter. Best wishes from Langen near Frankfurt - that's where I work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom