THR Rainbow Recovery for Great Aunt Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great idea with the cupcakes! I must tell our baker about that one. I'll be thinking of you having a wonderful family get-together on Monday, celebrating the newby-to-come!
 
I've missed BoneSmart and reading wonderfully entertaining friends like you all -- I had not been able to ride my bike for several years and was so excited last year round about now when I tried little short rides and was able to do it! I honestly tried on a stationary bike
 
Just thought I'd check in and see how you're going @Great Aunt Janet ... and it would seem "all good" would cover it; which is great!!:yes!:

I just read the "cupcake" post. We did that when my Daughter In Law "told" her work what her baby was going to be; I made a cake (which is one of my Crafts hinted at in the "Craft"Dee appellation) with white decoration. They didn't know what gender bub was until they bit into it... of course you can imagine the confusion when they bit in and found pink AND blue - only a close few of her colleagues even knew she was expecting twins!! My DIL was so sweet, she forwarded me all the emails she received about the cake, really made me feel involved :)

I hope everything goes well for your daughter @sunbunny ... I'm sure it will, but I know it is a stressful time, even for the grandparents, a "high risk" pregnancy :rolleyes: We have two little darlings now, well worth the stress - even though they've just turned two and are, well, TWO. Hell hath no fury like two year old twins :rotfl: We looked after them (again) for the day on Friday, my operated hip held up well; my it-would-appear-soon-to-be-operated-on hip not quite as well... and my back, feet, legs, shoulders, arms, head.... name it! ... not well at all :groan: Man, I's gettin' OLD:loll:

My hubby refers to them as the "Tag Team Terrorists", they DO seem to have worked out the divide and conquer aspect of grandparent (and parent, come to that!) management. I swear Emily (Twin 1, always bigger and more outgoing than her brother) comes up with the plots, directs Nathan to distract us then executes her evil plan :egypdance: Of course any of you with grandchildren know that as soon as she climbs on your lap, holds your face and goes "mwah, wuv you Nanna" ALL is forgiven... even the marker on the wall/floortiles/carpet/blinds incident :shocked:

Now all this talk of banana cake has got me thinking... I've only got one banana, might just have to do banana and choc chip muffins instead - are choc chips another of the food groups?? Thought not!!

Well I'd better go, rainy Sunday notwithstanding some things HAVE to get done - at seven months out the excuses are long gone. That said, I'm going to a physio/chiro centre this week... my back and bum issues are still with me, sigh, I'm DETERMINED to be rid of them before going for Hip 2 :yes:

Happy Healing
Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet
Hope you are keeping well. Your recovery has been really good and getting back to work too. Well done hippy. I picture you in the outback - what is everyday life to you, sounds romantic to me when you are on the other side of the world!!

Hi @craftdee I love your posts nearly always make me laugh. re grandchildren - the only time my hip protests now adays is when I look after my grandson. I try not to kneel down which I think is the culprit but i keep forgetting. What do I do when he drops his coin in the supermarket or needs help getting dry after the bath. It is such a great pleasure so make it worth while. Big vibes for your muscle/inflammation (?) issues to be resolved soon
 
are choc chips another of the food groups??
OF COURSE they are, well known anti-cholesterol thingy, if they are dark and good ones anyway. I always have piles of bananas in their skins in the freezer - fruit costs a lot out here - in QLD where they grown the darn things - and I never waste a skerrick! and those frozen ones are the best ones for banana cake. And a good excuse.
:eyebrows:

You need all the energy they give @craftdee to deal with your darling twins, what a brave woman you are! I hope your chiro helps - I did love mine, pre-op, very practical and just fixed stuff (not the hip, but he never said he could). Enjoy the rain too (lucky darn)! How is your big sis going? She is all quiet, so I hope that means she is out and about and blowdrying the roos?

Outback IS romantic @copsham - especially at night when the stars are just incredible. And sunsets. And the quietness. But fruit (and lots of other stuff) costs dearly. We don't have your lovely old pubs or green, green, green, green either... when we see UK tv shows, we sigh over the softness of it (and the thought of wearing bonnets, a la Pride and Prej). Our pubs (where I live) are more tiled walls, washable places - but saying that, full of extremely good looking folks of course! :cool:

@Me2 - are you all ready for your next surgery? Sheesh, you really have had a few to cope with, I suppose you are fluent in hospital by now, but I would find it tough to be confronting another bout. I hope you are OK? Let's hope this is the final cracker and the one that gets you back on your bike with ease. Will be thinking of you.
:flwrysmile:
 
@craftdee yes grandchildren are a joy. When we keep the four year old there is no whining or fussing. But let mom and dad walk in and another child takes possession. Also when 1 1/2 year old brother is there too. The brother is like a mini tornado. You don't really known you have been hit until the aftermath. I really try to protect my hip and other than a direct hit from a thrown basketball I have done ok. Unless I have a grabber pretty much everything stays on the floor. Only time I wish I had a dog instead of a cat to clean up their food droppings, another sleepless night...only three hours here. Hope you are doing well. Hugs
 
Outback IS romantic
...... keep that kind of talk up and I will be heading downunder to do this recovery thing! You are absolutely living my dream!

Even tho I may have this hospital thing down -- we'll see if my experience with my little private hospital with barely 24 beds transfers to BIG hospital with a gazillion. I know the surgery stay is only a day -- I am quite concerned with the 6 month or more recovery thing with some restrictions going on. Thanks for the encouragement!

:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for your reply re romantic outback! We are going to Oz in Sept/Oct this year. I have wanted to go since I was a six year old influenced by Australian teacher who gave us kangaroo stickers! Now I could say under the influence of great aunt Janet to see the stars!

My hip pre op hindered me so so much I have been doing things post op that I have put off for so long. The pay off from dealing with my phobia's has been great!

Did I tell you that I have looked up the estuary that you mentioned - looks good! x
 
@Great Aunt Janet and @Granny Di we had a lovely time at my daughter's cupcake reveal. She will be having her third son. We are so happy especially for the good report from the high risk DR. Slept a little bit better but feel a good sleep is elusive. Wouldn't it be grand if one day we could all get together. I have enjoyed meeting and getting to know my hippee buddies. PT today so I better get going. Having a lazy morning. cheers
 
Another grandson @sunbunny! So exciting for all. We won't be having anymore but I am very thankful for the 5 we have.
It is snowing here today! The kids were in swimming on the weekend and it was almost 80F/24C and today it is snowing. Crazy Canada!
 
Just catching up to see how everyone is moving forward. I actually have a bit of a routine now. I am pretty much painfree. The PT has been great. All the stiff feelings are gone. On one crutch.
Congrats @Great Aunt Janet on getting back to work and being so active. As the weeks roll by i'm surprised at how quickly things are improving. It is good to see how well you are doing.
@sunbunny I love the cupcake idea. My granbabies are 8, two 10 year olds, and 12. I loved the baby stages and now they come to visit Nana for a week each in the summer and it is soooo much fun. I did take care of one every Monday for a year when he was 2 -- i was exhilarated, exhausted & starving when he left and it was the best fun ever -- that little Toot! :heehee:
Best wishes @Me2 -- wheres the hippy convention being held? :happydance:
 
With the aftermath of my kids I think fire is the only final solution for my house :scaredycat:

Our next big project will be rip out every inch of carpet and replace it all with hardwood. I don't think paint will save the walls so they will probably have to be replaced after that.
 
Ahhh, you blokes are funny with your rampaging kids and grandkids! I am unwise in these matters mostly (great nephews being UK bound for now, their mother is convinced a spider will get her if she comes to Oz) but I bow down in awe at your fortitude. Mind you, I could do with the excuse for the horrendous state my house gets into sometimes... but yeah, no banana up the walls (that I know of).
:bolt:
Mostly all good on the hip front, I'm doing normal work at work and lots of walking. However, did lug loads of groceries yesterday and then blitzed said horrendous house in prep for unplanned in-laws visit later today - and this morning I am sore and tired. Foolish woman, believed it was all done and dusted! Never mind, learn by experience - pass the duster back to the long suffering spouse!

Gotta go, find something to make me feel pretty for work (ha ha ha ha) and for later!
:cool:
 
I have to admit that I had a cleaning woman come in once a week for two months and I lowered my standards -a lot! I didn't make my bed every day which I have always done. I only washed my sheets every second week (horrors! my mom would be ashamed) and I quit picking up and putting away after my husband. It was a good learning experience for him but I fear he is backsliding now. What to do? :arrow:
Cheers!
Diane
 
@Granny Di and @Great Aunt Janet lol over housekeeping woes. Both grandkids were here last night and house looks much like a tornado. The only problem is my husband's sister and her husband are coming this weekend. And his sister is a cleaning perfection. You could eat dinner off her heating vents..lol. Hmmm.PT and cleaning today. Some things I will just have to let go. I shudder to think what my refrigerator looks like beyond what I can reach. Well if she gets too snipipity I might just hand her cleaning supplies. The horror of it all. By the way I about killed my hippee yesterday. Went for a scooter ride at Costco...not strong enough to walk that mega warehouse...and the scooter was from $&@? And back. I had to prop my leg over the wheel cap to not break 90 degrees. And I paid for it. Hugs Barb
 
With my first hip I learned to let go (for the most part) of housekeeping that is not getting done. This time around I have a housekeeper who comes in every 2 weeks. Only problem was the very heavy pollen season. Hubby likes fresh air so while I was in rehab he opened the windows and sliding door to the porch. Oh what a mess. My hardwood floors were covered and slippery. I had to get the microfiber mop and walk around the family room pushing the mop with my walker just to get some of the pollen off. I have lived the last week looking at the heavy pollen cover furniture. Today is housekeeper day!!

@sunbunny, hand the in-law a dust rag! Seriously, I understand not having the house the way we like it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom