THR Rainbow Recovery for Great Aunt Janet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a brilliant night's sleep - and feeling very lucky (@torment, thoughts are with you) today. I only woke once before 6am, and then when I did get up found it was mighty chilly! The temp had dropped to 9 degrees C, first cold day of our autumn/fall which we are already half way through. I think the cold encouraged snuggling down and not waking!

I am about to go out for my first walk of the day and it is already nearly 9am - lazy morning, but feeling good. I am expecting to see that penguins have replaced the roos down the street!
:chuckmarch:
 
@Great Aunt Janet

So glad you are getting into doing some fun stuff with those precious goats, would have loved seeing those goats dressed up...oh my how do they allow it :sad: Lol I remember trying to dress up my kitty, but....:catdance: she wouldn't have anything of it :)

You asked about steri strips, you received...you can let them fall off vs. removing. When mine was put on for second time, since surgery and when I had my staples taken out, my OS asst. told me 7-10 days on steri-strips & just let them fall off or remove if some remaining by 10th day.

You are doing great :dancy: and will be surrendering those crutches :yes!: :loveshwr:
 
Yes sweetie-pies, I have decided to follow consensus of your collective wisdoms and let the steristrips fall off - hope they don't fall off and down my trouser leg when I go for my public walks, or at least not when I am yakking to someone ... will have to think up some exciting story for them (umm, I am setting a trail so that I can find my way home? pet mouse in pocket, sends me little messages on strips of old knickers when it wants to home? ... and I haven't taken anything stronger than paracetamol this morning!).:spider:

Slept really well last night and am comfortable this morning. So lucky. Yesterday I did one crutch walks, not very far just half a block, but included fartlekking 15 steps on new hip without using crutch and without rocking and rolling. Concentrating on quality rather than quantity. I was really stiff last night, but with icing and usual paracetamol, managed to rest and feel much less stiff this morning. Will just do ordinary crutch walks today and then re-do the fartlekking tomorrow.

Am off to the library when Florence comes home at lunchtime (another benefit of living in small place, comes home for lunchbreak!) as I have finished all the murder books I gathered before surgery. I didn't think I would be able to concentrate on reading, but that has actually been the best thing for distracting from discomfort etc. Joy!
 
Great Aunt Janet, you are keeping me amused as I wait for the next 5 days to go by! I can jpg tire you talking with a neighbor and one little stristrip making it's way down your pant leg and out to freedom! LOLA

My experience with steristrips was they hung on for about 10 days. They began curling up at the ends before they fell off. I think they must have put extra glue on them LOL
 
naughty @wcgirl... fartlekking is kind of interval training (swedish?), well, it was back in the 90s, when I could run!:running:

And @webbie73 - I will definitely let you know about first appearance! :xmark:that neighbour thing is exactly what I was worried about! Five days will fly by for you - wishing you a stress-free weekend and much laughter. xxx
 
@Great Aunt Janet I am so proud of you. I imagined fartlekking as something caused by a stool softener. :rotfl::rotfl: You are so funny. The humor is uplifting. I really need to figure out this sleeping thing. Not much sleep at all the last two nights and no quickees either. Naps or anything. Actually I am going to drop quick from my vocabulary. I have a waterproof bandage and had a lovely shower today. By the end of it I was pretty much done for. Hope you have a restful night.
 
So right @sunbunny, sleep is so good when it comes - last night not bad sleep till 3am and then up and reading. However, I did go to bed at 9pm!! It has got easier as the time is passing, I think I couldn't relax at first as I was so worried about violating the restrictions inadvertently... and since I just got so tired and passed out sometime last week, and nothing bad happened, I think I have managed to convince myself it is all OK.
:sleep:

I went out to a friend's last night for a bit of a party and sat down for far too long in a not very suitable chair. Silly. By the time I got home I had swelling again (and haven't had any for ages) and was sore too. Iced and elevated overnight and better this morning. Have lost 3 steristrips so far, nobody noticed. Ha!

It's Anzac Day here tomorrow, and I was thinking of going to at least one of the ceremonies, but I think not - I will have my own dawn service with the radio and the birdies on the verandah - and just save myself for next year.
:walking:
 
@Great Aunt Janet - What is Anzac Day about? I made the mistake of sitting too long 6 days after my op and my leg and foot swelled up like an elephant's -could hardly see my toes! Lesson learned and I change position frequently. I FINALLY have quit worrying about violating the 90 degree rule during sleep -only one more week to go and I will be free! Well Dr post op visit is May 5th but I am finding it much easier to move and bend already.
I have had a beer or a glass of wine most days but I must be the only one. I just take tylenol so I hope I am not ruining my liver. :scare:
Love reading your posts!
Diane
P.S. My daughter-in-law has brothers living in Sydney -Oz is on my bucket list.
 
@Great Aunt Janet you are totally cracking me up. What fun you have. My idea of fun is maybe I can figure out how to take a half step down to my screened porch and watch all that spring has to offer. Pollen not being one of those things. My porch has taken on a soft yellow hue and my type A personality would involve Windex and paper towels and an angry hubby. Better save him for important things like flushing the toilet. Do you use your grabber to pull the handle down? Inquiring minds want to know. Happy Friday to you.:egypdance::friends::roseshwr:
 
. Better save him for important things like flushing the toilet. Do you use your grabber to pull the handle down? Inquiring minds want to know. Happy Friday to you.:egypdance::friends:

OH MY GOODNESS! Cracking up here. I needed that!
 
Do they inject a bit of funny in those spinals? You guys are making me laugh!

I have had a beer or a glass of wine most days but I must be the only one
NOT the only one :) :) :) :cheers: (hurrah for naughty people!)

nvolve Windex and paper towels and an angry hubby. Better save him for important things like flushing the toilet. Do you use your grabber to pull the handle down?
Yes! My windows are filthy and I was just thinking the other day, could do one at a time, couldn't I?
Now then, you better explain North Carolinan flushers to me ... we have a couple of easypress little buttons over here in Oz, so haven't needed that kind of intimate assistance... please explain!!!

In the end, I actually had my Anzac dawn service in bed, with the curtains open and watching the dawn come through on a lovely cool quiet morning, listening to a very well done local radio broadcast of the service from Longreach live, almost felt as though I was there (but comfortable :) ). Today is the 100th anniversary of the Australian and New Zealand landings at Gallipoli in WW1 so it is a big deal indeed, and I would love to have been down town in person, if I wasn't a bit clonky and unreliable still. Me and Florence are both ex service, and he is the main parade commander today, making me very proud. He has such a loud voice that when he barks those commands the whole main street can hear.
:roseshwr: Mind you, he is sporting a goatee (for the upcoming goat expo of course) and that does add a little extra rakishness to his outfit. Hope he comes home without any groupies.

I have done two lots of washing and (gingerly) hung them out on the hills hoist today. Normality, just a teeny bit! :snork:
 
@Great Aunt Janet well about the toilets...some of the new ones have the little button, some higher up ones have sensors and flush automatically after sensing you have completed your donation. Heck some are heated and self cleaning. Well we don't have that kind..just your run of the mill with a handle you pull down to flush. So after maneuvering myself on the toilet riser which makes me feel like truly I am on the throne and getting essentials completed, you must stand and without breaking 90 degrees pull your undies and drawers back using the lovely grabber. So if you turn around to flush you must bend a no no. So using my womanly wiles hubby comes to the rescue. I won't even go into how to use toilet paper and praying for a clean drop. Lol. Now the riser which makes the toilet taller is just not all that comfy either. No the whole experience is looked upon with trepidation. I know this too shall pass. But inquiring minds need to know! Lol :wowspring::):wowspring:
 
@Great Aunt Janet Chairs become so important. When I go into a restaurant I look for firm hard looking chairs, do not sit on low chairs etc.

At week three at my brothers I made a statement that "I am better' by sitting on his soft sofa oh boy did I suffer the next day. I think after a couple of weeks we all are on a see saw one minute very very careful about the restrictions and the next minute forget them inadvertently.

I constantly remind my self of the research done by Guy's and St Thomas Hospital re restrictions which followed a large group of hip patients over a long period of time. Half followed restrictions and half didn't and the dislocation rate was the same! So although we all follow the advice given by our OS we do not need to be paranoid.

I hijacked your information in another thread re 1770 as we are going to Australia in the autumn. When you wrote about your Anzac day at dawn in bed, it reminded me of me about 2 weeks post op , on the internet planning for our trip to Australia, I felt as if I had been there. I had a virtual holiday across the miles!!

All the best! x
 
So although we all follow the advice given by our OS we do not need to be paranoid.
Just listen to that hip. It will tell you when you have gone too far and when you need to slow down and rest. I didn't find the restrictions too difficult to follow (post LTHR) as my hip just didn't want to bend or twist let alone move past 90 degrees.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom