TKR Putting my best foot forward

Maybe you can call your home cardiologist and he can recommend someone to see where you are.
 
Soooooo,
Ended up coming into ER as my pulse was high when my pt checked it b4 our session
My blood count low, 7.4. That alone would not warrant action. I am being prepped for transfusion as they are worried from cardiology standpoint.
Plus, if all this not enough, chest X-ray positive for double pneumonia
 
Oh goodness...hope you feel a bit better after that unit of blood!

sent from my Galaxy 4
 
Oh so sorry to hear this - you really are having a rough time. Really hope things improve for you very soon .
 
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time, @simryg .

Sounds to me as if you need to stay in hospital a while, until they get on top of your heart problems and the pneumonia. You could need monitoring for a while. :elevate:
 
Whaaaat? That's just awful! I hope the Drs are able to get things under control! It's hard enough to have your body trying to heal after a TKR, add on these other problems and you are going to be exhausted. Praying for you now.
 
Yikes! Glad you got to the doctor & hope you heal quickly. :console2:
 
@Celle you are right.
I am still in the hospital.
Been really rough.
Heart rate under control.
Still being treated for pneumonia.
My hemoglobin was 7.4 Wednesday
Went up to 8.3 Thursday after transfusion.
Friday was back down to 7.8, today 7.6.
My knee grossly swollen, pain worse than should be at this stage.
They want to do a CT guided arthogram to see if I am bleeding into joint.
I don't want any invasive testing done without the consent of my surgeon (he is not affiliated w the hospital I am in)
Did not close my eyes this night, pain would not ease up.
I have bad veins, Iv line constantly needs to be replaced. Waiting for them to come place another line so can get antispasmatic meds and hopefully some relief.
They will check hemoglobin shortly, pray it stabilizes.
 
I'm sorry you're having such a bad time, @simryg
I'm glad your heart rate is under control now, though.

I think it would be safer not to let them do anything invasive in your knee. That would bring the risk of introducing infection into the joint.

Are you able to insist that they ice and elevate your leg? Do make sure that they are giving you adequate pain relief medication, too.

Is it possible to contact your surgeon, even though he is not in the same group? He should know what is going on and may be able to offer some advice as to treatment of your knee.
 
Welcome to LA. Sorry your situation has become so complicated. What's your hospital and who's your surgeon? My left TKR was done at Torrance Memorial by Todd Shrader on 2 June. Both surgery and recovery have been uneventful, although my knee was in better shape than yours. You have my complete sympathy and I wish you the best of luck.
 
I am back "home"
What a ride!
Will try to post tomorrow w details
Although there were disturbing findings on my ct scan,ie Fluids and fracture (will post terminology when have strength to get report) I stuck to my guns and did not allow invasive procedures
 
Great news. Looking forward to hearing more from you when you feel up to it. You're so strong, hope you're rightfully proud of yourself.
 
I received a bag of iron intravenously on Sunday as well as Monday. It burned it's way up my vein with every drop. It made me think how much patients undergoing chemo must suffer if I just about tolerated the iron infusion.
I have the report of my ct scan.
I will quote:
"1. small avulsion fracture of the anterolateral tibial plateau, probably involving the iliotibial band and lateral capsular ligaments
2. Large left knee joint effusion and diffuse subcutaneous edema.
Ddx: septic arthritis and cellulitis versus postoperative changes."
Can someone tag someone that can help me interpret this?
I have appointment w my surgical team tomorrow. I hope and pray it's not as bad as I feel and fear.
 
Wow! I would have a difficult time figuring that all out also. I hope someone here can give you answers. @Celle may be able to help also of @skigirl .
 
Oh my! I am so sorry you are experiencing so much! This teaches us NEVER complain, because someone else's situation is always worse than your's! Prayerfully, your surgeon will have some positive news for you! Be encouraged, and know that you are never alone in whatever situation you may find yourself in. Be blessed! and your stormy time will eventually revert to sunshine!
 
I agree that septic arthritis and cellulitis sounds very serious indeed. I would consul with an infectious disease doc and a rheumatologist on this one. I will tag @Josephine
 
Anything with the word septic used, I would consult an infectious disease dr. An infectious group was assigned to me when I entered for emergency surgery. I have been very pleased with their cautious care and diagnosis over the last year and a half.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom