Guest viewing is limited

TKR Putting my best foot forward

Good luck. See you on the other side!
 
@simryg, good luck to you today! I also joked about being out during the surgery and that being the best sleep I'd have had in ages. I hope everything goes well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hope surgery went well and you're doing ok.
 
I arrived at the hospital 5:00 a.m. I was taken upstairs to preop about 5:30. The parade of drs and nurses commenced! I got my iv line placed, got antibiotics and then some blissful sedation. My nerve block was put in as well. I was wheeled in to the OR 7:00.
Before I knew it I woke up in recovery.
Thats my side of it.
My husband's account is quite different.
He was told that the dr would come out to him anywhere between 12 and 2. Well, 12 and then 2 came and went. He was really worried at this point. We knew from the Dr that he had to assess my bones once he opened me up, to see how bad the avascular necrosis was, how much dead bone there was. He was prepared with regular replacement as well as one w stem, if needed.
As I understood from Dr when he checked up on me earlier, the lower half of knee was way more damaged than we thought and it collapsed as he was working on it.
He placed stem but needed couple extra hours to place it right.
I was in the OR over 8 hours.
 
Its 1:45 here in LA, my hubby is snoring soundly on the pull out chair next to me. The nausea is starting to subside. I am nervous how I will feel once the nerve block is removed. The pain is kept under control with iv dilauded for now.
They will get me out of bed and on my feet in the morn.
Here is hoping I get some shut-eye till then!
Thanks for listening.......
 
Just keep the pain meds coming. Once they stop the IV dilauded be sure to take the oral pain meds on schedule. The key is to stay ahead of the pain. Once it gets out of control I found it hard to contain, especially early on. Happy to hear everything went well, but eight hours is a long time.
 
Oh wow you really had one long surgery. Really hope you're feeling as good as you could possibly be today. My nerve block hasn't worn off yet so I can't do much. Looking forward to your next update when you're feeling up to it.
 
Good to hear it's done, @simryg ! :SUNsmile:

Now, rest up, make sure they keep to your schedule for pain relief.

Let us know how you're getting on, when you feel able.
 
@simryg What an ordeal for you to go through, all best wishes for a trouble free recovery. X
 
@simryg wow 8 hours.... that is a long time. I hope you have a good recovery!!
 
OT Therapist was here now
Stood up next to bed w walker. Feel like ran a marathon!
Had catheter removed.
PT coming shortly and will try to take some steps
 
Had terrible spasms that the nerve block didnt block....
Got a valium which eased it.
Trykng to stay on top of pain meds. Worried how i will do once nerve block removed, if im in pain w it!
 
Yep, know that feeling! I was dizzy the first time so had to sit down and then try again! They won't remove my cath until they know I can get myself to the bathroom so it's staying in tonight. There are lots of different pain med combos they can try so you should be ok once the block is removed. My block sounds different to yours - it wears off rather than is removed. Hope the PT was ok.
 
For the first 24-48 hours the oxycodone didn't take care of all my pain. They pushed Toradol into my IV. Let the nurses, PAs and docs know if you're having break through pain at this point.
 
They are tapering down Iv dilaudid to get me used to oral meds. Got norco after my "walk"
Pain bearable now at least
 
I am back at the apartment.
Wednesday night was a living hell. The pain in combo with spasms were unbearable. Seems like my dr not a fan of "too much" pain meds. Will simply not do.....
He's very old school in terms of therapy, in direct violation of our mantra here.
I will hopefully stick to my guns and NOT overdo it like they made me Wednesday, the price way too steep
 
Oh I wish I was in LA too so we could go through this together! They've discharged you quickly - are you ok walking a bit and looking after yourself? I'm going to be in at least one more night - four or five in total.

What did they say when you said you were in pain on Weds night? Did they refuse to give you more meds - that's rough.

What did the PT make you do? I had a tussle with mine yesterday but we kind of compromised and things were ok. She's taking me for hydro therapy shortly - could be good, could be awful!

Sending lots of pain relieving vibes your way.
 
Cannot believe that your OS is so old school. You need pain meds regularly and possibly for sometime to come. You must do things in your own time, not theirs. You're less than one week post op so don't take any nonsense from them. Unless people have had a knee replacement they really have no inkling of what we go through. Thinking of you from across the pond. x
 
Got into my room Tuesday after surgery about 7:00 p.m.
So thankfully I did not get pt that night.
Next morning Ot got me standing and we practiced putting on my socks.
Less than hr later pt arrived.
I stood up and walked about 20 feet or so. Was an ordeal on its own..... Then was placed on cpm machine for away too long. Then pt came back about 2:30 and I walked the full circle of the hallway, dying
A bit more w every step. Later in evening I was placed on cpm machine, at that point the crocodile tears started. As I mentioned, my night was so painful, when pt came next morning I couldn't even walk to the bathroom. Of crse heard "no pain no gain" to which I retorted " obviously pain gives me no gain whatsoever!!!!!"
I was not too upset to b discharged as I believe I will be able to be on top of my pain meds better on my own. I got hydrocodone 10-325 1-2 pills every 6 hrs, and oxycodone 5 mg for breakthrough pain.
 
That just sounds awful, so sorry you had to go through that. It's your knee, your body and your recovery - you should be able to say what happens. I bet you were pleased to be discharged. Are you having nursing care or OT or PT at the apartment? Hope you're now able to rest, ice and medicate in the way that you want to.
 
Back
Top Bottom