TKR Putting my best foot forward

"1. small avulsion fracture of the anterolateral tibial plateau, probably involving the iliotibial band and lateral capsular ligaments
2. Large left knee joint effusion and diffuse subcutaneous edema.
Ddx: septic arthritis and cellulitis versus postoperative changes."
The radiologist clearly can't tell the wood from the trees! It's highly UNlikely to be septic arthritis as you have a knee replacement! And just because it's swollen doesn't mean you have cellulitis either!
Even as my knee literally disintegrated in his hands, he did not lose his composure. The surgeon working along side him, explained that he did not ease up his determination even for a moment, and was not satisfied with anything less than perfection.
This tells me a lot. This extensive surgery would produce extensive swelling - not cellulitis. The avulsion fracture of the anterolateral tibial plateau, obviously happened during this complicated surgery. If the bone was soft, this is the kind of thing that happens.

The "probably involving the iliotibial band and lateral capsular ligaments" is logical because that's where these structures are attached to the bone.

Nothing untoward. Stop all PT and let it rest. It's only way to proceed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine, I was just taking apart the report with my husband, googling terminology. I too, came to this conclusion. My dr told us what a difficult time he had as the bone both melted and splintered during surgery. I am glad I stuck to my guns and did not allow any invasive testing.
I was on bed rest orders since yesterday. Remarkable how much the swelling went down.
Now I have to make sure to keep the pain under control.
I am having the staples/stitches removed tomorrow morning. I hope that will also help me turn a corner.
Ty you all for words of encouragement. It was a week out of a horror movie, but we are putting it behind us.
 
@simryg
While you're on bed rest, make sure that you do plenty of ankle pumps, to keep your circulation going as much as possible.
 
@Celle thanks for reminding me.
Was very diligent about it throughout hospital stay.
Today concentrated on keeping pain at bay.
Was first time I slept more than 1 consecutive hour since surgery 2 weeks ago.
Hope tonight will b easier than till now.
My ankles pumpin as I'm typin
 
Best wishes. This is hard, but you're going to get through it. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
The added element is my being so far away from home, far from family and friends. The la community is amazing beyond words, welcoming 2 strangers into their midst. They sent food to the hospital, and are constantly offering help in any way needed.
My husband is rising to the occasion and is the greatest caregiver I could have asked for.
It was a massive crushing experience for him to witness my setback. Things were really scary for a while. Pneumonia, cardiac trouble, plummeting hemoglobin.....
Thankfully he snapped out of his funk and stepped up to the plate.
We are aiming for a home run!
 
Hoping that you're though the worst now. Sending lots of very good wishes.
 
@simryg , good to see you're out of the woods. I've been apprehensive since you dropped off the radar a couple of days ago facing so many challenges. Glad LA is treating you well. I'll repeat my questions from Monday: Where are you in LA? What hospital and who's your OS? Looks as if the operation was as big an adventure for him as for you. My LTKR was done at Torrance Memorial by Dr. Todd Shrader.
 
Im in east La, i think.
My surgeon is Dr. Jay Lieberman, Keck Institute, USC.
We just removed sutures and staples. They are uber happy with progress.
Thankfully cut looks clean.
They did change my orders to activities and excersize as tolerated.
There is a fracture but it does not affect the implant.
Lets hope we have smoother sailing from here on out
 
Nurse called me earlier. My dr was away for couple of days. After my visit they updated him and sent him my ct images. His instructions were to take the next two weeks and focus on getting as much rest as possible. I haven't been Eating, he wants me to try to change that as well. Regarding pt, we will do the bare minimum, so I don't regress.
If I would not be post knee replacement, I would probably be in cast or non weight bearing at the least, for the fracture to heal.
That is not a viable option with new prosthesis. But slow and steady will win this race.
 
I've found that once my appetite started to return that I've craved healthy food - lots of salad and wholegrains and fruit and lean meat plus a little chocolate and cake of course! It's like my body knows what it needs to heal itself. Start with a little of what you really fancy and take it from there. Doc sounds like he's given you good advice, it's a tricky situation for you trying to balance what you need to do to get the new knee doing what it should be doing whilst letting the fracture heal. Slow and steady all the way, you're doing so well.
 
@Raffs, you are always so sweet, my personal cheerleader!
We are trying to stay strong, it's easier now that the trauma of our hospital stay behind us.
I think I will try to get into the car today and drive to a park or find a nice tree to sit under. To breath in the air and gather strength.
 
Sounds like a plan. Hope you're able to begin eating comfortably soon.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
wow @simryg .. since recovering from my PKR, I've fallen off the radar here and spent my spare time on FB. With some current issues going on, I've returned and wanted to not just concentrate of myself, but see how others are doing and yours is the first thread that I've actually read all the way through.
I have nothing to add in the way of recovery ideas or thoughts, but I sure do wish you healing thought and prayers! Your grace through this is just amazing and I truly applaud you! Hope you had a relaxing and restful time at a park and found a large, shady tree with lots of wind!!
 
@Dlekapj, welcome back to the fold....
Hope your knee holding up, and you are here just to visit!
It's 7:30 here in LA. I am still up, did not get any sleep. The spasms get really bad at night.
Although I take muscle relaxers before bed, it's still not enough to break through the pain.
I just took an oxycodone and hope to get some sleep. I think my body needs sleep the most to enable the healing process to begin in earnest.
 
Very happy to be your personal cheerio! Hope you managed to get some fresh air today and also really hope you get some restful sleep, it will really help.
 
I had my staples removed Wednesday. Most of the steristrips fell off already although they said wild take about 10 days.
How soon can I immerse my foot into Walter?
A woman that befriended us here in LA, offered to give me free Aqua therapy as soon as I am ready. That is what she does for a living.
She says her pool is kept under pristine conditions. Filtered, pool cleaning agency.....
 
Boy, the auto correct at it again. I def do not plan on immersing my foot or anything else for that matter into "Walter" I obviously meant water....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom