TKR Putting my best foot forward

Hope to
My pulse over 120 bpm
Does anyone know if it's caused by my pain or the pain meds?
 
Hi @simryg... so sorry to hear of your ordeal! Just know that every day t :) at goes by you get closer to that beautiful outcome of having a pain free knee! . An increase in your pulse can indicate you are in pain. Take your temperature, too. . Sometimes when you run a temp your pulse can go up.
 
So sorry to hear of the painful ordeal. I believe I got the Toradol IV push because my best friend (a surgery veteran) demanded it. Keep taking the pain meds on schedule. Do not worry about how they're effecting you right now. They'll make you sleepy, groggy, fuzzy, but mask the pain which is exactly what you need. Around week 4 I needed less pain management and gad no trouble paring down the oxy. Hope you had a good night.
 
Maybe dozed half hour combined. Will call dr office to upgrade my regimen so can breath easier and get some crucial rest. I think not having pt today:yay:. Will do cpm machine as tolerated.
 
I am so sorry to hear that you're going through this. Hope the Dr office were helpful.
 
Nurse changed how soon I can take drug
Taking norco 1-2 pills every 4 hrs like clockwork, and can take one oxycodone for breakthrough pain.
Besides that. Taking Coumadin and Celebrex once a day.
I can at least breath now.
Going to try cpm machine, not more than 15 min though! Not planning on being a martyr!!
 
Hi I am angel. I so know what you mean about pain. Ohhhh so miserable. I am having bad problems right know. But I know it all will pass. Very best of luck to you. Cpm I like it with 1st knee second did not get it. Know they don't let you have it. Xxxx to you.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Hope this new meds regime helps control the pain.
 
I guess if I put things in perspective, having that day of misery, makes me appreciate my status now.
The new medicine schedule makes a world of a difference.
Of course I am less than week post surgery, so yes, at times I am in agonizing pain. But nothing compared to the hell I was in. I am thankful to be where I am at, and hope I continue to keep my chin up.
 
That's great to hear. I've read on here a lot that we shouldn't have to suffer agonising pain, some discomfort is to be expected but not agony. Perhaps your meds still need a little more tweaking? But your surgery was pretty complicated and difficult so I'm guessing your pain is in a different league from mine. You sound like your chin is up despite everything. How are you spending your days? Are you still seeing a home PT?
 
Besides for the cpm machine, they gave me holiday weekend off!
Home pt beginning Monday. Glad worked out this way as my leg really grossly swollen.
My surgery was very complicated to put it very mildly, so I guess my recovery will be at my own pace. It was miraculous actually, and I am lucky that I decided to travel the distance and be operated by one of the top surgeons in this field. Even as my knee literally disintegrated in his hands, he did not lose his composure. The surgeon working along side him, explained that he did not ease up his determination even for a moment, and was not satisfied with anything less than perfection. He tried one mechanism after another, taking time to take multiple X-Rays, building up my knee "like mosaic tiles" until he was satisfied that it was straight and is b able to walk g-d willing without slightest limp. He used a stem on bottom half
 
Yep, totally different league to my routine partial! Wonderful that you managed to find such a brilliant surgeon. Your recovery may well be a little slower but you'll get there. What you looking forward to most once your mobile and pain free?? I'm going to re-book a trip to Disney and Universal in Florida that I had to cancel because of pain in February.
 
@Raffs, sorry did not respond, was Mia for bit. Had difficult day yesterday. My heart palpitations are both bothersome and worrisome. It's pounding away in my ears right now. Causing quite heavy dose chest pain as well.
I am at the stage, that although I am in pain, which thankfully I am trying to deal w as gracefully as possible (cue curtsy- owwwww) little improvements are creeping up on me unexpectedly.
Realized b4 that while trying to get out of bed, my knee was bent at angle that would have me screaming in pain yesterday. Such little gift wrapped goodies keep coming my way. We have to look out for them, makes the rest of it easier to handle
 
Hope you feel better soon @simryg And yes be thankful for each little accomplishment!!
 
No need to apologise - totally understand! Have you spoken to anyone about the palpitations? Could be a reaction to the meds?

I'm sure you are dealing with all of this with better grace than I am!

Yep, think we have to celebrate every little win when they come along. So much of this feels tough that the good bits are really worth enjoying, however small. I am able to bend my knee a bit more today when doing heel slides so I'm happy about that.
 
Had first home pt visit.
She was really nice, def not pushy.
She was really happy with my progression, makes the pain easier to bear.
I told nurse at dr office that I feel cpm machine doing more harm than good. Therapist confirmed machine was actually defective
Every time after it flexed my knee the track would shift, so on its way down it would pull at my ankle while extending.
She called company and they will exchange tomorrow.
 
My heart palpitations are both bothersome and worrisome. It's pounding away in my ears right now. Causing quite heavy dose chest pain as well.
I'm concerned about this. It shouldn't be happening.
Please consult your regular doctor.

I told nurse at dr office that I feel cpm machine doing more harm than good. Therapist confirmed machine was actually defective
Every time after it flexed my knee the track would shift, so on its way down it would pull at my ankle while extending.
While some surgeons recommend the CPM machine and some people like it, it actually contributes nothing to the long term result of your recovery.
 
@Celle, you are absolutely right. The nurse that came today wanted to call an ambulance and send me to ER.
I have history of heart palpitations. I cannot treat with medication as my blood pressure on the low side as is. When I take anything to slow pulse, my bp drops dangerously low.
I will try to reach my cardiologist from ny. That's the downside of doing surgery so far from home, all my Drs not here to consult with. All the pain and additional stress, too much for my heart. The only real choice to heal this issue is by undergoing ablation to stop the arithmia. I am not quite ready to undergo surgery now, so close after such major surgery I just had.
I definitely can't let the situation continue as is either.
 
I will try to reach my cardiologist from ny. That's the downside of doing surgery so far from home, all my Drs not here to consult with. All the pain and additional stress, too much for my heart. The only real choice to heal this issue is by undergoing ablation to stop the arithmia. I am not quite ready to undergo surgery now, so close after such major surgery I just had.
I hope you can get hold of your cardiologist. If not, I do think you need to see a cardiologist where you are.

Since you mention that cardiac ablation is on the cards, I assume you have atrial fibrillation. My husband had that and had to have it stopped by cardioversion (electric shock therapy). He's now on a drug regime to control it, but ablation is probably in his future, too.
I hope you are taking anticoagulants? As you probably know, there is a risk of blood clots while you are fibrillating.

Please let us know how you are getting on.
 
I am on Coumadin and being closely monitored that my rates are fine.
I know have to address the cardiac issue, during the day it's under control, but each night it rears its head again.
I am just about holding it together, don't have strength to deal w it, although what choice do I really have
 
Back
Top Bottom