TKR Putting my best foot forward

I took my steristrips off after a couple of days. Knee was a lot happier once they were gone and scar is healing well. I don't think you need to worry about them falling off as long as the wound is behaving itself.
 
A woman that befriended us here in LA, offered to give me free Aqua therapy as soon as I am ready. That is what she does for a living.
I do water, and I think it's helpful. You might ask this lady for her opinion on when you are ready.
 
Reading your story and so glad all is finally falling into place for you. You are a strong lady.
 
I was told no baths [might include pools] until all scabs were completely gone, not just dried up. Showers were fine with scabs though.

I peeled off the strips as soon as the corners were up, the tech didn't do a very good job of gluing them down and they were a mess long before 10 days. After about half were gone I just peeled the rest off. Ugly dirty looking things, yuck.

How did you sleep last night? Nice to read that sleep is now your most pressing issue after all you have gone through!
 
@KYata yes my strips did not last. 1-2 weeks either. All my scabs are pretty much gone. Showers I can do PA said but no hot tubs, pools for 3 months. Maybe they are super worried about infection. Sleep, I miss you sooooo! But the day is good once I am up and moving. How about you? How is it after 4 months? Normal yet? Is walking back to normal?
 
@KYata, sleep is my most pressing issue as it is the fallout of all the pain I have. I feel I would be able to handle the pain better if I would get some sleep, be it at night or at least during the day!!!
After being up all night w crazy spasms, I fell asleep 11:00 this morning, only to be writhing in along 12:20.....
 
Sleep is as normal as it has been for decades. I wake up several times a night but am not concerned now. I thought I hadn't slept but an hour had passed when I thought it had been 10 minutes. I slept! I noticed this happening about week 12 and started laughing at myself. Went from anxious to relaxed about it. Getting some good exercise in helps but that is hard to do if you have a bum leg to protect. If I am tired but bum leg did too much it is just going to complain all night long!

I do think getting off the strong meds helped. I needed them to sleep early on of course but once I was waking up without pain it was time to wean off that last tablet at night. I'd much rather not sleep well than be uncomfortable and not moving well because I didn't take the meds.
 
How was yesterday? Did you have a better day, sleep issues and pain issues aside? Have you discussed the spasms with your medical team, perhaps there is something you could take for it?
 
Had a very hard night once again.
I see a direct correlation between my spasms and chest pain.
I take robaxin for spasms. It was prescribed for every 6 hours. I have been taking it only 10:30 b4 I go to bed and 4:30 when up during night with pain, which is every night.
I think I will try to take it every 6 hours as prescribed for a day or two to see if it makes a difference.
This night I thought would need to call 911 due to return of chest pain.
I was overjoyed when I heard all the thunder early morning. I always feel worse b4 rain. At least I can blame the weather and not worry that had a setback.
 
Really sorry to hear this. Keep an eye on the chest pain and make sure you seek medical help if you need to.
 
Rachel please take care of yourself. Chest pains don't sound right to me. Should you call your doctor?....
 
I am going to leave a message today and hope that someone calls me back.
My parents are coming from NY for 5 days. I am really excited about it. Glad my husband can hand over some of his responsibilities.
 
@KYata, sleep is my most pressing issue as it is the fallout of all the pain I have. I feel I would be able to handle the pain better if I would get some sleep, be it at night or at least during the day!!!
After being up all night w crazy spasms, I fell asleep 11:00 this morning, only to be writhing in along 12:20.....
I'm experiencing something very similiar! I sleep for a couple of hours then I'm woken up by the pain. I can't get comfortable and I just writhe. And then just tired all day since I'm not sleeping. I'd give anything for some relief!
 
Sleep is the hardest thing for me too! Can't seem to get in a comfortable position for very long. Seems to be a common factor with these new knees. :bawl:
 
@mimi_frog and @tigwy11 -I finally couldn't stand the lack of sleep at night and bought some over the counter sleep aid. It really is just Benadryl in a 50 mg dose. I've taken it the past 3 nights and slept like a log! I still wake up once to go to the bathroom around 4 am, but fall right back to sleep. It makes a world of difference when you can get some sleep.
 
I used Tylenol PM while recovering and sometimes even now when my left (not a TKR yet) knee is really bothering me. I typically didn't take any Tylenol during the day so I'd take a pain pill and a Tylenol pm, it was the only way I slept.
 
@mimi_frog and @tigwy11 -I finally couldn't stand the lack of sleep at night and bought some over the counter sleep aid. It really is just Benadryl in a 50 mg dose. I've taken it the past 3 nights and slept like a log! I still wake up once to go to the bathroom around 4 am, but fall right back to sleep. It makes a world of difference when you can get some sleep.

I took Benadryl last night and finally slept!! Same as you, woke up once to pee, put an ice pack on and went back to sleep. I slept around 6 hours, and it felt amazing! Hurray!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom