Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

Lay back and enjoy being waited on! Now, your new life begins with two new knees!
 
Day 4 for knee #2 (counting op day as zero):
Pluses:
-Thigh muscles are strong, as they were last time, so I was able to ditch the immobilizer brace I wore home from the hospital.
-Friends are dropping by and bringing food, etc.
-Without the immobilizer I'm able to easily get up and down from beds and the day bed on the porch (had a hard time with the immobilizer on) so I can enjoy the gorgeous summer day today.
-Poop fairy visited last night.
-I more or less know what to expect and how to cope.
-Rental recliner is a nice retreat spot and since it's a lift chair, easy to get out of when my leg/knee is tired--I tend to go there first thing in the morning when my knee is really stiff after a night in one position.
-Knee #1 seems to be holding up well under stress of being the "good" knee.

Harder stuff:
-Feeling a bit grumpier about this whole process this time around, which shouldn't be a surprise--a friend just reminded me of the amount of time in the past year I've spent recovering from ortho surgery (1 hip and 2 knees).
-This knee seems more painful (but there might be some selective memory going on)--it's certainly more ouchy in the transition from sitting with leg elevated and iced to foot on the floor getting ready to stand up. Once I"m up and moving it's about the same. But I am taking more pain meds with this recovery--taking something every 4 hours rather than every 6 as I did last time.
-More night time pain than last time--have got to remember to bring an ice pack to bed with me. Didn't do so last night, knee hurt enough to keep me awake in spite of max dose of pain meds, but couldn't face getting out of bed again (one downside of living alone--no one to fetch things for me). I finally did get up and get the ice and that did help me fall asleep--so lesson learned.
-I have more thigh muscle pain with this knee--think he did more realigning.
-Feel like I have a bit less stamina--also not a surprise given the # of surgeries in a short time.
-I think this knee will be a clunker/clicker unlike knee 1.

The PA I saw for one of knee #1's checkups cautioned me that while I was having a smooth and relatively easy recovery with #1, I might have a harder time with this recovery because of the 2 surgeries in a short time frame--and he may be right. Patience, I tell myself, patience!
 
Sounds like you're doing relatively well Gertie. And glad you have helpful friends to bring you dinner - particularly since you are on your own. Patience for sure -- one week, one day, one hour at a time.
 
Kathleen @kmak81230 --I think it's one hour at a time chez Lynn! I did remind myself that even though I can lift my leg onto and off of the bed without assistance, I don't need to do so--and I just got the leg lifter gadget to carry around with me and aid in that getting up transition.
 
Well at least you are an expert at knowing not to do too much -- you are right, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should or need to. Take care of that baby knee -- the toddler will appreciate that you did so.:flwrysmile:
 
I suspect that part of why #2 is hurting slightly more today is because I've been using it a bit to get up and down from bed and daybed--but it's a trade-off. If I don't use #2 at all (and I couldn't with the immobilizer on), all the stress goes to #1 and she was beginning to complain loudly. So, I'll need to find a balance, maybe limiting my time on the porch since the daybed is the hardest to get up from (even though it's up on risers), and primarily using #1 with #2 mostly helping with balance and a slight boost up. Rain in the forecast for tomorrow so I'll mostly be inside anyway tucked up in the recliner.
 
gertie ~ i am impressed at how well you are doing, being able to think clearly and post here just 4 days post op. reading your earlier post where you didn't really feel like getting out of bed to replace your ice pack (but you eventually did), i thought of a tip i learned on here and wished i had thought of it earlier in my recovery: maybe you could leave an extra ice pack in a thermal bag beside your bed so you don't have to get up just for that. continue to find that balance.
 
Welcome to recovery for the second time, Gertie,

As a reminder, here is another copy of the recovery guidelines and reading list:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Bertie, I just read through your thread. I had my left tkr March 20 and my right tkr is scheduled for Tuesday. It sounds to me like you had a great recovery after your 1st surgery, and I hope you have a good recovery this time as well. Here's to 2 good knees!:cheers:
 
Overall, it was pretty good. I started with about 70 flex and we at 20 by my 6 week check. I started driving at 4 weeks, when I was off the narcotics. Some days were rough, but overall more goid than bad. I sure am happy to have the arthritis pain gone, and looking forward to it being gone in my right soon.
 
Gertie, I just looked at all of your surgery dates and that sure is a lot of ortho surgery in less than a year; yikes! So, if you're a bit more tired, crankier, or slower, I'd say you've earned it!

Since the daybed is a bit difficult right now, do you any comfortable chairs out on your porch so that you can enjoy it before things get colder soon? If not, perhaps a friend could lend you one? I found my outdoor, anti-gravity chair to be spectacular for elevating and icing. I'd hate to see you forfeit the porch right now, because it's so relaxing and restorative to be outdoors for a bit, especially during the first few weeks.

I ditto what Liam said about a bedside cooler! If you don't have one, see if you can borrow one for now.

I'm sure you'll work out the parameters for how much activity each knee needs right now, but I can certainly appreciate the challenges of that situation.

I'm very impressed with your clarity in thinking and posting at just 4 days post-op; brava! You might feel *fuzzy* but we can't detect, lol.

Hang in there, one hour at a time if need be. :SUNsmile:
 
@Pheebs52 The daybed is the best option on the porch so I'll just balance my time out there with time in the recliner--I'm not going to give up outdoor time! And I know this will all improve over the next few weeks. I have a zero gravity recliner but I think it's not sized properly for me and not very comfortable--stowed in the garage right now.

An indoor day today because of cool, rainy weather. Recliner is fine although my lower back is starting to protest sitting so much. A friend brought lunch and it was nice to catch up with her. The in-home PT came for a brief visit. She's mostly focused on the new knee, which seems to be retaining its good ROM that it had in the hospital, much to my surprise. She was much more laid back about any possible regression in #s in the new knee than she had been with the first knee--she said she saw that I progressed well with the first one, even though the #s regressed when I came home, so she wasn't concerned about this one.

She also measured my "old" knee--I hadn't done anything for that knee other than living my life and occasional gentle flexing exercises when I thought of it in the 2 weeks without PT before the 2nd surgery--and I've gained a few degrees of ROM in that knee. More validation for the BS approach!

Overall doing OK although tired and a bit antsy.
 
Yeah for you Gertie!!!! Such good news about the "old" new knee. Glad you have a good PT who you can work with. Sounds like you are on your way to a great recovery :loveshwr:
 
@gertie, the excessive sitting we do initially really does get to the back, doesn't it? I also found the walker bothered my back quite a bit. At least both of those are relatively short-lived in the larger scheme of recovery, eh?

We got your rain tonight, but it looks like the sun will be shining tomorrow. I'll take it! And when I'm out on my back deck, I'll envision you enjoying your porch. :SUNsmile:

That's too bad on your zero-gravity chair, but if they are too large, then you definitely don't get the right effect. I'm glad nothing will keep you indoors for long. It does us so much good just see some sunshine and greenery; very restorative! You were a real trooper last time and I'm sure you will be this time as well. :SUNsmile:
 
@Pheebs52 No sun for us until Wednesday--at least that's what the forecast says. So glad I rented this recliner since the porch has not been a warm and wonderful place the past few days.

I'm curious what folks have done to keep the poop fairy a regular visitor instead of an occasional drop-by. Helpful hints? For the initial getting things going I've been using Dulcolax, Miralax, and Senna plus trying to stay well hydrated and eat fiber rich food. I had one visit Saturday night and she was clearly reluctant to come calling at that point. Second visit was last night at 2:30 a.m. I'm now feeling some mild crampiness, as though things might head the other direction. Last time I did OK with twice a day Dulcolax and Miralax every other day or so but I'm taking more pain meds this time around and really don't want to get bound up again.
 
Hi Gertie, like you, we're having a gloomy morning here; pffft! *They* promised some sun, but I think *they* were mistaken.

Getting the bowels regular really is a bit tricky initially. I used Senekot 1x per day, Dulcolax, 1x per day, and added bran flakes to my already fiber-filled diet. I also drank even more water and bought some Prune Juice, *just in case.* As it turned out, I didn't need the prune juice, but I did need to wait about a week before things became more of a regular *ahem* event. That said, the timing of events was not always convenient, as you remarked on with a 2:30 A.M. visit; ugh! I purposefully chose to not overdo with the Senekot/Dulcolax, because I didn't want to end up with the opposite problem.....rushing to the bathroom was definitely not an option! So, things normalized during Week2, with an event about every other day. This remained so for the first 4 weeks when I was taking 10mg of Oxy every 4 hours.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom