Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

Well, it's official--I just had my preop appt and we're good to go with the LTKR next week (8/2). Yikes!
 
You'll do great. You know exactly what to do and what not to do!
 
@gertie, for some reason I pictured you out in the Stockbridge area, so, you're right about that trip to Tanglewood being too lengthy from Amherst right now; pffft! That's ok, you'll be enjoying next summer with two solid knees! Congratulations on setting that date! I know you struggled with the timing decision a bit, (who wouldn't?) but I honestly think you made the best decision for your circumstances.

Here's to Knee#2 doing just as well as Knee#1! :cheers:
 
Yeah for having a date. I hope you can enjoy the next several days without too much worry. We'll be here cheering you on :friends:
 
Crossing my fingers for you Gertie! I can't imagine going in next week to have it all done again!
 
Lynn - you go girl! We will be waiting for you on the other side. Next summer it will all be behind you and you can enjoy Tanglewood and anywhere else you want to go!
 
Thank you for all the supportive replies! First, @Celle, could you please change my thread title to: Put the right knee in...and then the left.

I've been off the forum for a few days in a valiant effort to put my focus on something other than my knees! Mixed results but I have been enjoying some beautiful weather--drove to a nearby orchard to buy some peaches (Yay! Peaches this year!), coffee with a friend, lunch with another friend, chats with neighbors, reminding myself that life is about more than recovery before I plunge into recovery land again.

Today I'm doing last minute things--paying bills, tidying up. I go down to the hospital tonight and then have surgery at 9 tomorrow.

Right knee is holding up fairly well. I'm mostly walking without any aids at this point--carry a cane with me if I'm walking on uneven ground or going for a longer walk but otherwise I'm cane free. Have been off daytime pain meds for 2 weeks and for the past 2 or 3 days, no pain meds at all. Right knee gets sore at times but nothing severe and responds well to rest and ice. I did rent a recliner for this next recovery--I realized that mornings and evenings are going to get cooler and I'll be spending more time inside and my couch is soft and might be hard to stand up from with 2 compromised knees (it's up on risers but still can be difficult). The daybed on the porch and the bed in my bedroom are high enough that I should be fine getting up from them.

So, deep breath and here I go again!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Praying all will go well for you. You know the drill. I used these affirmations and even took them with me to the hospital. We'll see you on the other side!

Affirmations for surgery

God will take care of me
I am relaxed and calm as I prepare for this surgery
My surgery will be successful
I will wake up easily and feel refreshed after surgery
When I wake up after surgery I will have little or no pain
When I wake up after surgery I will not feel nauseous
My body will work quickly to heal after my surgery
My blood loss will be minimal and my body will quickly replace any blood or fluids
I am a strong person and will adapt to the lessons my body may be teaching me through this process
I trust in my body's ability to welcome in and use what is helpful and healing to me. I also trust my body to reject what is unhealthy and not needed in my healing journey
I trust my doctors to use their skills for my good and to promote healing
 
@gertie, you will be in all our thoughts tomorrow and we'll all be here to hold your hand as needed. My wish for you is that this TKR will go just as smoothly as Knee#One!

I'm so glad you were able to get out and about and really enjoy a taste of normalcy that isn't so knee-centric! You'll carry those special memories with you into your second recovery and they will provide much strength and hope!

Great idea on renting the recliner! I so wish I had bought my new one before I had my knee done; live and learn, eh? Recliner sleeping is so much easier and for me, resulted in much *happier* wake-ups even though I was using my husband's old beat up chair. The elevation pillows stayed in place and my back was much more comfortable than when I tried to back sleep in bed.

@jaschembra, those are wonderful affirmations and sure to be a great help to anyone facing this surgery!
 
@Pheebs52 The recliner was a last minute decision and I was so lucky that the first place I called had one available and could deliver yesterday--and it looks fairly new and well maintained! I rented one for my hip surgery last fall, from a different place, and it smelled like stale cigarettes, was made for someone much bigger than I am, and had a really uncomfortable lumbar support that hit in just the wrong place--hence my slowness in renting again! But good fortune strikes this time.
 
I also will be thinking of you tomorrow. Such a great idea to rent the recliner. Mine was my downstairs nest, and a wonderful aid to my recovery. Much easier to get up from than my low, soft sofa. I seldom use it anymore, but am forever grateful for its services.

Just think of how well-prepared you are this time, and that you will, for the most part, know what is happening and what to do (or not do). Plus you already have lots of friends who will listen to your triumphs and gripes! :friends:
 
@SusieShoes I wish being a pro at this made me less anxious but there is still that knot in the stomach. But yes, I am as prepared as I can be--and BoneSmarty friends sure do make it all easier.
 
Will be thinking of you tomorrow, hoping that all goes well and we'll look forward to hearing from you in recovery. Sounds like you have made all the preparations and even had some non-knee obsession time this weekend. Glad you found a good recliner to help you through the first couple of weeks.
 
Great idea to rent a recliner! I didn't use one for this surgery because ours are two flights of stairs down in our basement recreation room. However when it comes to knee # 2 I plan on having one in my main floor family room. Good luck and look forward to hearing from you on the other side.
 
See you soon with bionic knee #2!
 
Your new knee is coming and then it will be all done but the recovery! You know what to do and how to do it. You'll do great. And we will be here lifting you up with our prayers! And, you know, prayers work!
 
@gertie, good luck! You are a brave soul for jumping back into the crazy so quickly. We will be waiting for you here on the other side.
:thumb:
 
Good morning all. A quick check in. Surgery went well according to the doc. In spite of going the spinal and sedation route I had a rough day yesterday feelin woozy and nauseated post op--would have thrown up if I had any food in my stomach--instead just dry heaves. Yuck. Zofran didn't help so next up was something w a long name that I don't remember which did help. No food and lots of dozing. Pt came by and I sat on the edge of the bed but nothing else.

Feel better today. Normal appetite. ROM numbers are good w minimal effort. More quad pain than w other knee--really sore muscles! I think this knee needed more realignment.

More on Friday from home.

Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another recovery heard from! Glad you're past the nausea and moving forward.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom