Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

Just passed my 11 month anniversary for knee #1 and am at 9.5 months for knee #2. Progress and change continues to be slow but is still happening. I've been mowing the lawn (gas powered walk behind mower) for the first time since early summer 2016 and my knees seem happy--a little stiffness in #2 but nothing significant. I'm continuing to work a bit with a PT. I'm not very diligent but even so, I'm seeing some increase in leg strength. I recently made flight reservations and at some point a few days after making them realized I'll be flying out on the 1 year anniversary of knee #1--this time last year, there would have been no chance I'd contemplate a long flight. Seems like a fitting way to celebrate that day.

The only fly in the ointment, cloud on the horizon, etc., is that my right hip is telling me it wants its turn on the op table. Discomfort there is mostly manageable (although more achy today after doing some gardening yesterday--stepping on a shovel to dig planting holes probably wasn't the smartest move). I've got a lot going on this summer so hopefully I can continue to manage the hip and stay as active as I need to be--but if not, I'll take the plunge--and I know that hips are less painful than knees.
 
It's great to hear from you again. It sounds like you're getting on with your life and enjoying it! I hope your hip will calm down and not insist on surgery!
 
Hi Lynn!
Great to hear that the knees are doing so well! Keep up the good work!!
I've moved over to the THR side! My left hip started hurting in Feb, went to PT for 3 wks and he thought it might be tendonitis. Went back to see OS and he said “You need a hip!” I was devastated! Begged for cortisone. It did no good! Because of the inj, I've had to wait 3 months for THR. On the countdown now...surgery June 12! The
pain in the hip and groin is much worse than knee pain was. There's no working through it at all. Believe me, if you need a hip, there is NO discusssion! Hop over to the THR side to follow my story, if you like....title is “Third time's a charm!” 3 joints in 3 summers! Next summer, I want a better plan!
Hugs to you!
Helen
 
Hi there! Just when you think you’ve got everything in proper order... up pops another joint! The good news is you’ll will have run out of hips and knees after this one. :heehee:

Glad to hear the knees are doing well and you’ve been able to enjoy some gardening. Seeing the result of your work will give you reason to smile all summer and through fall. Enjoy your victory flight!
 
The
pain in the hip and groin is much worse than knee pain was. There's no working through it at all. Believe me, if you need a hip, there is NO discusssion!
Oh, I know how true this is--my left hip went from troublesome but manageable (much like righty is at this point) to seriously dysfunctional practically overnight. Aaargh! I'll be thinking of you on June 12.
 
I hope your hip decides to settle down for a while to give you a break from surgeries. Have a great flight/holiday!
 
Just a word about ROM continuing to improve with time. First a disclaimer that ROM has not been the problem for me that I know it has been for a lot of people. Extension was good going into surgery and good post-op from day 1 or 2. Flexion was more of a challenge and I did have some disagreements with the in-home PT who was of the push through pain mentality. But seated measurements taken by her at the 4 week point after each of my replacements were 120ish for R knee and 125 for left, pushing slightly into a pain zone to get those numbers.

In late September I started to work with an outpatient PT who measured me on my first visit, supine and staying well within my comfort zone--no pain at all--and right knee was 108 and left was 115. This was fine with her (and with me). She measured again in November, supine, no pain, and left was now 125 and right was 118. I hadn't worked specifically on ROM in the meantime.

I saw her again today for a quick check in and asked her to check ROM out of curiosity now that the right knee is almost a year old and left not far behind--and both knees were a smidge over 130. So, at least for me, just getting on with it and using the knees has worked.
 
Awesome report, Gertie!
 
I have to agree, Lynn. Once I stopped PT and got on with living my flexion improved over many months. What a great report!
 
Once I stopped PT and got on with living my flexion improved over many months
I didn't stop PT--I have continued to work with the outpatient PT, targeting specific problem areas and have found that to be really helpful (just to put in a positive word about PT because I have found it to be beneficial more often than not). But as the PT--and Bonesmart--predicted, flexion improved as the knees healed.
 
Last edited:
how is your hip doing?
ah, the hip...thanks for asking! It's gently letting me know it's there and wanting attention. That's what I was checking in w Jen, the PT, about--how to continue to work on hip and leg strength-building (lost a lot in the months I was dealing with the other replacements) without irritating the hip. She had some ideas so we'll see how it goes. I mostly notice it limiting me in increasing distance for my walks--1 mile is OK but more than that and I risk increased pain in the hip.

On the other hand, I'm delighted to be back to doing things this summer that I haven't done in a couple of years.
 
:hi:gertie. i guess we just have to pace ourselves. my knees and hips are great, but too much shopping, especially standing around chatting to sales clerks, causes my lower and mid-back to feel weak. isn't it always something!?:groan:
 
Last edited:
I had good PTs also and although there was no pain with PT, it didn’t really help me with pain while walking or standing. Actually walking helped me more than any exercises from PT, but I loved going and loved my PTs.
 
I agree with walking is the best exercise. Add to that, bike riding for me.
 
This time last year I was in the recovery room after my RTKR. Today I'm hustling around doing errands and housework, getting ready to leave on a trip to UK tomorrow. The right knee still gets some slight soreness in the soft tissue after a busy day or long time sitting in one position but is much, much better than pre-surgery.
 
wow ~ that is wonderful to hear. enjoy your trip to the U.K.:flwrysmile:
 
Hi, Gertie!

Sounds like the knee is doing pretty well...and your hip wants in on the fun? Well, they say that hip surgery isn't as bad as knee, but gee...
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom