TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi@:friends::flwrysmile: Puffin I am so sorry to read that you are going through all of this and so hard to have so much happening to you. It is really difficult for you to have to do the waiting you are and going through all of this discomfort. I am surprised that they can't fit you in as this is something that you should not have to wait to have taken care. Wishing you the best and hoping that someone will find a way to help get you through this and want to let you know that you are in my thoughts. Hoping things get better for you Holly
 
Dear Puffin,
Thinking of you :console2: I hope your leg is getting the attention you deserve.
Hugs & best wishes,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Thinking of you. I hope the pain is decreasing with no weight bearing. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Puffin! Trying to get caught up with your thread and your issues with your leg.. I hope you are getting things resolved. When will OS do surgery to correct issue? Keeping you in my prayers... Joan.
 
Thank you everyone for the messages of support

This non-weight bearing thing is driving me nuts :hairpulling: - even gentle non-essential walking is a complete no-no so the whole thing is very frustrating. I am only allowed to leave the house for 2 short aqua-therapy sessions each week or if I sit in the wheelchair :gaah:

I have an appointment for the OS and x-rays on Monday so I'm hoping to get some answers. I think I am going to need scar tissue surgery however a lot will depend on whether I have a tibia fracture or not
 
Well I got up early to go to the hospital appointment (minus 8C and freezing fog) and there was some good news that there is no fracture visible on the X-rays so I can go back to walking. The not quite so good news is that he could see an area of inflamation in the bone/bone marrow caused by the pressure of the tibial stem ending at the narrowest part of the tibia's bone marrow canal. So this inflamation is the cause of the pain and swelling. The OS said that he sees 1 or 2 cases a year where a long stemmed prothesis creates this type of pain and swelling but in most cases it resolves itself 12-18 months after surgery. The only other option is to remove the tibial section and stem and replace it with a longer or shorter stem which he doesn't recommend at this stage.

He is happy with the mobility in the knee - ROM 110+/0 - but he can see that the quad is constrained by the adhesion so he will do a scar revision - which means that the knee should lose its "hard stop" and flex more. He says it will be a quick day surgery as the knee joint is not involved at all as it formed at the site of the hematoma. Hopefully the procedure can be done in a few weeks time
 
Hi puffin I'm so happy you got some answers. The news isn't too bad but it still must be frustrating. At least you can weight bear again. We all hope once the surgery is over recovery will be a smooth slow climb to the day we forget about our knees.
Time and patience.
Thinking of you always
Wanda
 
Dear Puffin,
So good to hear from you :) I'm glad your bone wasn't broken,but resting never hurt anyone. When you do
Start walking please go gently. Is this the same scar removal Toni had ? I am glad your O.S found the problem
& it can be fixed. So many times a doctor will say all is fine, I see no problem.
This has been a long painful journey for you. Please keep us updated as to when you will have the scar
Removal....We Care about you :console2: Hang in there...
Puppy update....Koda is such a good puppy....he is friendly & loves to sit on everybody's lap. He is very
Mello & not hyper. My :kittykiss: just look at him, & stay away :heehee:
It is getting cold here to 30 degrees....but I like it, keeps me awake :whistle:
Talk Soon,
Diana :friends:
 
What good news that there is no break :dancy::) and that the inflammation should settle down though not as fast as you deserve after having gone through so much. I read somewhere that you have been doing some exercises laying down which is wonderful to get those muscles in shape. Please remember not to overdo now that you can weight bear again, no matter how tempting. I hope your return to work issues have been dealt with for the bureaucrat's satisfaction. Silly people who think everyone recovers on some sort of schedule - if only.

It is not that cold in my part of the world yet -going into the 40s though and the leaves are coming down fast. To me it is a restful time of the year.

Take care and let us know how you are doing. :flwrysmile: :console2:
 
Hi Puffin such good news to hear that the ex-rays taken showed no break in the bone. I hope you are feeling better and I am sure that the news that you can walk again was really nice to get. The weather here is getting cooler still have a few days that it is warm enough for shorts but the nights are cooling down quite cold in the morning. The leaves arre really falling quick and the colours on the water at our pak are beautiful the leaves reflect so beautifully some of the trees ane now bear and seemes to be so hard to believe that it is almost November. Hope all just keeps getting better for you and sounds like your doctor is trying to make you comfortable. Have a wonderful week and nice to hear from you Holly:spin:
 
Thank you so much My way new knee in June leejaa and lavender - it was good news that there was no break as being non-weightbearing was driving me nuts :hairpulling: - although I did manage to watch all 7 seasons of the West Wing and all 9 seasons of Bergerac and season 5 of Castle while confined :heehee: . The bone and bone marrow inflammation is still painful and swollen but at least I know it is not dangerous for the TKR. I completed my pre-op forms today for the scar revision. The OS seemed to think it would be a quick procedure done as a day patient as I don't need an MUA and the adhesion is not near the knee but on th site of the post-op hematoma - in fact if I had not insisted the OS would not do it as my ROM is OK - but after 3 years of not driving because of my knee I am determined to do it :happydance: . I feel a bit ODIC today as after almost a month of not walking it feels very strange - in addition my gait has worsened again and I am getting back pain again. Also the sleet and drizzle is not helping .....
 
Do you have a date for the procedure yet? Grey and drizzle is not cheery - for me I would rather have some white snow, at least it all looks sparkly then especially with some sun. I am sure your gait will improve now that you can work on it again, just take it easy so you do not have too much pain from the inflammation. :flwrysmile:
 
The letter with the date for the new procedure arrived today - November 22nd - so not too long to wait

leejaa - I know exactly what you mean by snow being better. I always say that November is the worst month in this part of Sweden as everything is either grey or brown (ploughed fields, fallen leaves) - once the snow comes it all looks lighter and brighter. Even when the snow is late December is better as although it is darker people put up a lot of Christmas lights
 
Wishing you a great day even if the sun refuses to shine. Here is some virtual sun :SUNsmile: . I am glad you have a date so you are not in date limbo. Take care. Lee :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Puffin,
So happy you have a date for your procedure :) I hope it is everything you expect & more. Not to much of
A wait...you can do it, you are the queen of patience :heehee: Glad to see things moving ahead for you,
Please keep us posted, we care about you :friends:
Thinking of you Always,
Diana...."June Sunbeams" :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Puffin,
I posted some pictures of Koda :puppysmooze: on my thread, just for you :)
Have a nice weekend,
Diana :kittykiss:
 
Hi Diana - loved the puppy pictures - he seems to have HUGE paws for a baby - will he be a big dog? :puppysmooze:

I am doing OK - although having to schlep the walker around with me everywhere is getting old and frustrating :gaah: but I am hoping that things will improve after my next surgery in 4 weeks

I am looking forward to next week as it is autumn school holiday here in Sweden and the kids are home and my husband has taken some days off :happydance:
 
I hope you get some sunshine and/or snow next week to brighten up your week with your kids and husband even more. Have a good week end. Lee :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom