TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that I have not posted for a while - so just a quick update

I started working again part time a few weeks ago - it was not the way I wanted to do it with a walker, not driving and in pain but I felt I needed to try and get back. It is going OK but there is a lot more pain and swelling than I had before as I really cannot sit for more than 1-2 hours and reduced time for the PT and walking training. A big problem has been giving up the Tramadol which I was still taking as a small dose - but it affects my concentration too much to take it and work

I tried to attend a departmental seminar event last week - it sounded OK 2 x 1½ hour seminars with afternoon tea and a gala dinner - but it did not go too well the first seminar was OK but I hit a pain wall during the second (conference chairs can be so uncomfortable) and had to call my husband to drive 2 hours to collect me before dinner

I am not quite sure how this is going to pan out - my work is flexible and a lot can be done from home - but there are also required conferences where the travelling and conference days can be very long. I am supposed to attend conferences in the frozen North in November. In October I am supposed to give lectures and chair seminars

I am due at the pool - I am trying to workout there 3-4 hours per week - although last week the heating system broke and I suffered several days from being in colder water
 
Hi @puffin so so sorry that thing aren't going well with your knee - have you seen your / a different OS lately? Do you know why things aren't good?

Shortie x
 
@Shortie - I saw my OS in August - he thinks that this is possibly normal because of my operation being extra invasive with the sinking of long stems into my tibia/femur and the subsequent bone marrow inflammation. Also stability was always going to be tricky as I suffered an unusual quadruple knee ligament rupture and the lack of an LCL is problematic. There is also an issue that some of my injuries from the accident may be permanent such as nerve damage and quad damage

The problem is that he is not happy to say what is permanent yet - some issues may improve during the next year- MY problem however is that 4 year after my accident I am stuck in a grey zone between disability and sickness - Sweden does not recognize temporary disability
 
Hi @puffin It is so nice to hear from you again missed you and nice you are back. I am sorry you are having stuff with you knee and wish they could help you deserve a break and such a long process this type of surgery can end up being. Be careful nice to be back at work but not easy if you are dealing with mobility issues and pain and hope someone can come up with a way to make it easier you have been through so much and still hanging in there . It is good you are still going to spend time in the pool but cold water would not feel so good on your knee and travelling not so easy if you have to sit for extended periods of time found that sitting with my legs down was lot more uncomfortable at first still like putting my leg stretched out on couch just more comfortable.

Once again it is really nice to see your post and looking forward to writing you again. I have managed fine my bend is still around 90 degrees but doing great with that amount even so. My right knee has been swelling a little bit more lately as my left knee has been very creaky and right is trying to take care of it thinking it will possibly bend more when my left knee replacement is taken care of.

I had my first year appointment checkup on my replaced knee in April and at that time decided to wait for a little longer for my left knee both equally damaged when my first surgery was done but so much happened in my family over the past year that just needed time for family matters and helping to get my Mom out and to her appointments and shopping wanted to make sure she was taken care of things have changed and she no longer wants this time so now making time for my left knee.

I went to see the surgeon in July just can't wait any longer affecting the way I can get around and so he placed me on a waiting list in the meantime he said to help with the waiting time he thought a cortisone shot would help so that happened in September 4 to 6 months waiting period for surgery and so excited to receive a call yesterday giving me a date for my replacement. December 18 is the day and although I think I might be crazy going through it again know that it needs to be done and afraid all along if not soon the knee may just give out totally.

I have forgotten the way it will feel not looking forward to that again but just want it all over with and then looking forward to better movement and hopefully maybe even a better bend for both knees and promises from surgeon that this time around no pt pushing actually he did not even mention pt for this one just massages. We have an easier time communicating about this knee as he knows what I went through with the first no pushing at all and promises of better pain medication. You helped me along so much last time around @puffin and I really value your friendship found on bone smart so lucky to have met you. Looking forward to see more posts and hoping you keep writing you and I along with others that had their surgery when we did made a big difference in my recovery and thanking you for coming back please stay a while. Excited to hear from you again and wishing you a great day hope your have a chance to relax and hope you are not having pain. Holly
 
@puffin
It's so good to hear from you :friends:I am sorry you are still in pain :console2:You certainly
Are trying to get back to your normal life :) Could you possibly set up a "Skype" for
Conference calls ? That way you could work more from home. Could you also ask for a med.
that doesn't cloud your thinking ? I hope you find a " Happy Medium" & things work out for you.
Sending all my Love,
Diana :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Puffin, I would carry an ice chest with me and slap on a gel pack every chance you get. i carried a really small one after the surgery and I could keep two gel packs cold enough to work for me.

I understand the return to work---sometimes we just have to move on with our lives. Take it easy when you are there and if you have to miss a conference it cannot be the end of the world---who has been going while you were out? However, if you are at a conference make friends with the conceriege or the kitchen staff and get some bags of ice on that knee while you are sitting---don't worry about your neighbors!! I always sit in the last row---left over from being an underachiever in high school!!! Sit in the back row and there are fewer people to watch you and judge your actions. Have a large bag to throw the ice packs into if necessary!! You will be surprised---make some privisio for icing and elevating and the swelling will become more manageable. You can bring in a box and elevate your leg on it---at least to level.

I would bit the bullet with tramadol---I have ADHD think of how little I concentrate in the best of times!!! Keep lists, have a daily diary with you at all times and help yourself to a little pain med!! Also, don't forget Tylenol--although I think it is better as a "booster" drug---Tylenol and Tramadol for instance---called Ultracet --is more powerful in pain relieving.

It sounds like you are going to end up with some permanent disability. Do they do it like the states? $10 for one leg amputation, $15 for two? I think I got $300 for my permanent disability of one fake knee. Or do they have a more enlightened system?

Frankly, as an Art Historian, if you told me that you were giving the seminar and needed to sit, I would be okay with that. If you need to ice, that would be okay too. Even young students understand surgery and disability.

If you are going to work, (and I totally get a return to your career and field of interest), then you are going to need some accomadations. Like: wheel chairs in airports. Ice on location, missing a few words of wisdom here and there---just do what you can do and leave the rest for someone else to help. You can get the notes of another woman---woman understand disability----or have someone tape a lecture---actually I think they all do a lot of that now. You can listen to one or two of the seminars afterwards. Don't let the small stuff deter you from doing what you want.

And, . . . if what you want is to retire, then pursue that disability claim.
 
:console2:Sorry you're still struggling.
 
Puffin,
Good to hear from you!
You have been so supportive of others, I know they appreciate your posts.
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble, I understand your wanting to go back to work. Lots of great ideas in the other posts, I hope they work for you.
 
Skigirl offered some great advice. I have a couple of suggestions to add. Since you are back at work and it's a bit challenging, I suggest skipping any additional workouts or therapy. Your daily living schedule now offers all the activity (and more) that you need right now. When you're not working, give yourself permission to rest, ice and recoup for the next day.

Think about using Extra Strength Tylenol for pain relief. You take 1000mg doses up to 4 times in a 24 hour period. You need to count all other potential sources of acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol) in the daily maximum allowed of 4000mg. When taken this way, it can offer good pain relief. It can be even better if used with Tramadol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom