TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puffin, you have gone through so much and even your surgery was more complex than most of ours. You are progressing which is the best. It must be hard to have continued patience-- you are remarkable. Give yourself more time and you will get there--I know you realize this mentally but emotionally it is the hardest thing when it is you. I am not good with patience when it is me either. Again, you are a most impressive person to have gone through all that and still have a sense of humor and working so hard to gain your life back.

Good luck with the OS-- take the time you need so you have success in the end--It will take whatever time it takes to get a good recovery.
 
Hi puffin,
Read your story my heart goes out to you. I hope that now you are home things will be all up hill now! Everyone in this forum knows what you are going threw maybe not as much as you went threw. Just wanted to say hi and it can only get better now.
Just me, Linda
 
Wow! I am very impressed. I had some extra work and seem down . I have full brace and walker . Bandage comes off in the morning . I can not wait to hear further progress reports from you .
 
Oh, Puffin, I droped by to see how you were doing. I do see that you have improved but some battles are still being fought. In time when its ready you will be the winner. It takes time and patience and surprises aways around the corner. I too have sweets attacks too but not as often. Remember to go slow and easy gal and you will make it. Take care and do remember you have come far. Tashia
 
Hi new knee in June Redbird leejaa Pjmc & tashia - thanks for all of your good wishes and words of wisdom - I guess I am finding life a little frustrating at the moment as there are so many things I have not been able to do for almost 3 years such as driving, shopping alone or even going to PT and hospital appoinments. I guess I thought that 3 months after surgery I would be getting back to these things - but it looks as though it will take a little longer .... :headbang:
 
It always takes longer than we want -no matter what. You will get there - again you are remarkable to have gotten through all you have been through for so long and have such a great attitude. I think of you when I am low on patience with myself. Thank you for posting your journey and sharing so much with all of us.
 
Hi Puffin. How are you feeling today? As the others say, you are making progress and that is the main thing. I know how you feel at the 3 months stage, I guess I was expecting to have made better progress too. Never mind, I am with you on your journey all the way and guess what, we will get there in the end :yay:
 
Dear puffin,
Hang in there, we are all on this journey with you :) we will be with you until the end, as you will be with us.
:angel: that you are feeling much better as the days go by. In the mean time...I am sending you 2 cabana boys,
To rub your shoulders & back :dancy:, feed you grapes, & fix you a fruity :martini:
They will stay as long as you need them.please don't tire them out, I think Alison & my way could use them after you :heehee:
Thinking of you always,
Chin-up.....Diana.....June sunbeams :SUNsmile:
 
Dear puffin,
I hope you are doing well :) I just wanted you to know, I have been thinking of you :friends: &
Hope to hear from you, when you are up to posting again.
Take care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Thinking of you. I hope your work situation and the need for more time to rehab. I hope your knee is feeling better and let you enjoy life a bit. Lee
 
Hi Puffin! I just caught up on your thread and can completely understand your frustrations! I had the muscle tear setback and it was so so depressing indeed! I can relate to the "hit the wall" feeling, although my sweating isnt quite as severe. I was always easy to get hot, so Im quite used to that feeling, always dressing for hotter weather than everyone else. Now with my menopause kicking in, it is alittle worse. Air conditioning is my friend and I only recently shut it off once the weather proved to freeze up the unit. I went shopiing this past weekend with freind and was walking around the clothing store about an hour, trying on some items that required more maneuvering (bathing suits and pants). I was getting ready to go on line when they told us the credit system wasnt working. We had to walk down the end of the shopping center to use an ATM. Honestly, I hit the wall...I had to run (or should I say hobble) the the car to take a break. I was in some pain, but just felt like I couldnt stnad for another second! My friend ended up driving to the ATM for me and driving back the 100 or so yards back to the store. Only saved me a few steps, but it helped. I found it quite odd that I hit this wall. I took a break then stopped at at a store for doggie treats on the way home. I barely made it into the house...I felt totally and utterly wiped out and spent the rest of the evening icing. YET, this weel I have gone in to spend a few hours 2 days to familiarize myself with the new job I am starting on MOnday and I felt fine coming home. I often wonder if I will be able to make the 8 hr stretch, 5 days, but then push it out of my mind. Ill take some disposable ice bags with me and ice during my lunch break and elevate.

Dont feel so bad about not driving...I just started short trips last weeks. I think I will be cabbing it to work for the first month to avoid walking from the parking lot and conserve my energy for actual working. I work in a college as well, as a Lab tech, so I will be walking and standing for at least 50% of the day. worries worries...SIGH Showering independently made me nervous as well. Hubby helped me up until 4 weeks ago, but he was skeptical leaving me when I said it was OK. I made my showers quick. If I needed to wash my hair as well, he would come in to just watch me and help me in and out. Showering felt like a JOB, but its getting easier! I guess Im kind of behind some others I read posts about...going back to work at 6 or 8 weeks just sounds impossible. I know feeling "behind" is frustrating, but it does and will get better for you. I know how hard it is to remain patient for this long :( Your aqua exercises sounds much harder than mine. If you can do all that, it wonderful! I do only slow walking, no jogging at all. Leg lifts in al directions, gentle squats, toe and heel raises, knee bends and just began some gentle lunge stretches to help with my achilles tightness on left side. I continue to have less than perfect extensionbut my OS and PT are not worried at all that it will come. My flexion is about 110-120 depending on the day and the knee, and it is slowly improving as well. I dont push it...its all fucntional, and feel less anxious about it appearing NOW. My muscle tear was probably due to, in part, working too hard, so I am determined to take my time to get completely better.

I do worry about endurance, but I think going back to work will help that along. I will use my enrgy for working, and come home and rest as much as possible. Luckily, hubby helps me quite a bit, so if I cant cook, he will. Same with laundry and cleaning. I just gotta get through my first few weeks of work and that will be a HUGE accomplishment for me.

Hope you are feeling better and the swelling has gone down a bit!

Luisa
 
Hi puffin can I join you on the frustration train? I also feel that this recovery has gone on long enough and I want to do everything I've been unable to do for soooo long. I know that's not the way it works but, hey, we're human. It seems like when I improve I want to improve more.:whistle:
We have come a long way girl and we will get there. My back has been very bothersome this last few weeks and it may be a good thing as it made me slow down and rest.
Time and patience............
Wanda
 
Puffin, how are you doing, have not seen anything from you for a while. I hope this means you are just busy recovering and healing.
 
Hi Puffin. Hope you are ok, I've been wondering how you are getting on. I am on the frustration train with you, you know that. I am in increasing pain and VERY clunky and am now terrified my knee is loose :yikes: I seem to be going backwards. Do let us know how you are doing :)
 
frustration train

Great term. Good that you all have each other for company although it would be better if you all were celebrating together. Is discouragement also a big problem? It was for me.
 
My spunk is returning and hope to get ahead of this swelling , pain and nausea soon. I was never one to stay down . Just seems like I had family that tried to kick me when times were rough. I am ready to fight . You ought to see me try to get up I use cane under my foot pull it to where I can comfortably get moving . Ready to move !
 
Dear puffin,
Thinking of you, hope everything is o.k :console2: this recovery sure does take a long time.
Diana :friends:
 
Hi - I have been offline for the past week as my knee has got significantly worse and I am just so depressed about it that I do not know what to say anymore. I have had to stop the walks I was taking a couple of weeks ago because of the dramatic increase pain and swelling and loss of stability. I spent 5 days icing and elevating last week but there was no real improvement.

I made an appointment and saw the PT yesterday and she is very concerned. My pre-op valgus deformity is back and my knee itself is twisted (the kneecap points to around 10 o´clock). There is significant swelling on the outside of the knee - so I have been trying to walk on a leg that is no longer straight, sometimes gives way and does not feel stable. What is not clear is whether this problem is related to the adhesion problem or if it is a separate problem with the prothesis itslef. The adhesion situation is definitely worse and has extended further - the whole scar is now pulling to the outside of the knee so may be pulling the knee around with it (aided and abetted by the weak muscles from the valgus deformity in recent years).

The PT is not happy to do anything until it has been assessed by my OS. I have tried to get the OS since last week but the OS has no gaps at all in his schedule this week and the best they could do is a telephone appointment this coming friday or an emergency appointment with another OS but one who has never done the type of operation that I had. So this did not seem very worthwhile.

So not very good news and very hard to know what to do for the best. Added to which work want to know when I will be back and the social insurance agency cannot understand why it is taking so long ......

Edited to add - I am also having issues with the shin pain still - not sure how long this should take to settle
 
Oh puffin, you really do not deserve this kind of set back. I do not understand that your OS does not have emergency appointments for post op complications such as yours so you can get some guidance and possible answers. Many hugs for you. My thoughts are with you.
 
Dear puffin,
I am so sorry to here about your knee problems. Could you possibly " tag" Josephine or rest assured ( Sonja)
I don't know how to tag. I don't know about care in Sweden...could you go to the emergency room ?
Thinking of you always :console2:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom