TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Puffin, in a message to Zumba girl, you mentioned that you had an adhesion at the top of your scar which was restricting movement. Does your OS think this will resolve itself given time? I ask because I am now 8 months post op and still have a tight band across my knee which restricts movement, particularly when I walk. Carol
 
@ Mutley Jaki, I wondered if Puffin's problems could shed any light on your issues. Carol

Well I got up early to go to the hospital appointment (minus 8C and freezing fog) and there was some good news that there is no fracture visible on the X-rays so I can go back to walking. The not quite so good news is that he could see an area of inflamation in the bone/bone marrow caused by the pressure of the tibial stem ending at the narrowest part of the tibia's bone marrow canal. So this inflamation is the cause of the pain and swelling. The OS said that he sees 1 or 2 cases a year where a long stemmed prothesis creates this type of pain and swelling but in most cases it resolves itself 12-18 months after surgery. The only other option is to remove the tibial section and stem and replace it with a longer or shorter stem which he doesn't recommend at this stage.

He is happy with the mobility in the knee - ROM 110+/0 - but he can see that the quad is constrained by the adhesion so he will do a scar revision - which means that the knee should lose its "hard stop" and flex more. He says it will be a quick day surgery as the knee joint is not involved at all as it formed at the site of the hematoma. Hopefully the procedure can be done in a few weeks time
 
Hi Puffin, please ignore my message re your adhesion. I read your thread and got the answer. Sorry . Carol
 
Hi puffin I'm so happy to see your date is soon. :yay: You'll feel so much better when it's done.
You want snow!!!! :yikes: There are still leaves on the trees here however, they are getting rather gold and red now. I do know what you mean though. Our winters are mostly wet and dreary and a good cold snap with a good snow fall does look much better than brown dead fields. It seems we get less snow every year.
I've been away for a while and enjoyed the get away and the change of scenery. I am doing well and I'm thinking I want to go back to work but the knees still aren't up to my job. I can't imagine having to chase a little darling down the endless hallway or restrain a kid who's kicking at me. A bit longer me thinks.
Wanda
 
Hi puffin!! Oh, my goodness, you have been through the wringer with this knee!! The scar tissue removal will make a big difference. It made a world of difference for me after I had mine done. It is not a long surgery. Mine took all of 25 minutes and I went home as soon as I woke up and they had given me some juice and graham crackers.

I'm glad to hear you don't have a fracture! I imagine having to use crutches and a wheelchair is so frustrating.
 
Hi - sorry to have been missing last week - the kids and hubby were off school/work so we had some trips and a week hanging out

patient 99 - hopefully you have seen that the OS is intending to release the adhesion surgically despite having an OK(ish) ROM over 110. Without a release I will not be able to drive again.

Titianlady and My way - thanks I am hoping that the scar revision will make a big difference to walking and other things such as driving (getting out of the bath :rotfl: ). November 22 is the big day and the OS has booked it as a day procedure so no overnight stay hopefully. Titianlady can you remember how long it took you to recover?
 
My 5 month anniversary was a few days ago :SUNsmile: - but I cannot compare my recovery to those on here as it is a lot slower owing to the nature of the surgery. So as with most things with this knee it is 2 steps forwards and one back

The steps forwards
- I walked around the small village shop and a buffet restaurant with NO walker/crutches/stick :happydance: these are not going to sound impressive for most of you 5 months out but were a new thing for me. Not up to managing IKEA without a walker yet though
- have been building up the aqua therapy and did 1½ hours yesterday - around half the time was spent deep water running and the rest stretching/strengthening

The step back
- higher pain from walking by myself - although mostly not from the knee but from my back and shinbone where the bbone marrow inflamation is still a problem :boohoo: I don't feel that I walk normally which doesn't help as my leg is too straight when it hits the ground - hopefully the scar revision will help .... The scar is looking nasty and has become a hard and shiny keloid
 
OK - I have been inspired by My way and I'm going to give the bath a try for the first time since November 2010 - if you don't hear from me for several weeks that's where I am - unable to get out :rotfl:
 
Dear Puffin,
Sorry I missed your 5 month anniversary :) I'm glad you have a date for your procedure. Now, my dear as far as
Following My Way into the tub :shocked: do be cautious. I am sending 2 of my biggest Warriors ( Sampson &
Bunzostel ) to help with your entrance & exit into your tub :yahoo: :yahoo: You are a lucky lady, because
They are also great at back massages :wink:
So, grab your rubber ducky, a long handled brush & in you go ( I am quite jealous ) :blush:
I may have to take a bath, also :rotfl: will there be bubbles ? :happydance: :happydance:
Diana....QUEEN of the Mighty, Mighty WARRIORS :bow: :martini:
 
Puffin, I am so happy for you that you are able to at least go some places without cane. Progress comes in assorted flavors, does it not. You deserve the best and I am sure you will get there. Take care. Lee :flwrysmile:
 
OMG the bath was amazing :yahoo: - first bath for 3 years :happydance:

We have a large jacuzzi type bath with massage jets that felt soooo good :yes!:

Getting in was much easier than expected. BUT - and you knew there would be a but right? :yes: - when it came to getting out I couldn't. My old method of kneeling is just too painful but the size of the bath means no handholds both sides so I was sort of stuck .....:scare: In the end my very own personal warrior - my 6'8'' husband - had to climb in with me to haul me onto my feet :rotfl:
 
Puffin,
:yay: :yay: :happydance: :happydance: So happy you enjoyed your bath :yahoo: Maybe following
My Way was not such a bad idea :heehee: You never told me you had your own Warrior :skep:
I can picture him removing you from your tub, I hope you took advantage of the moment :whistle:
Have a great day,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Personal Warriors do come in handy. Mine is 6'6" and I am 5'5" so when I need that extra support arm he is there and I know he can catch me or hold me up.

Bath sounds lovely, I no longer have a bathtub but often miss it.
 
Puffin, I lost track of when your new procedure/surgery will be but I seem to recall it is coming up soon. Just wanted to send warm and healing thoughts to you. Let us know how the procedure goes. You are important to many of us on the forum. :flwrysmile:Lee
 
Hi Puffin How wonderful that you were able to have a bath I have been thinking of trying thils lately but not sure if I will be able to get out again. I really miss having a bath also and think maybe I will have a try at it the worst problem is getting stuck but maybe worth the try Holly
 
I know what you mean about having a bath girls. I look longingly at it every time I go in but like you lavender worry about never getting out again and I wouldn't want to be responsible for my husband having a heart attack hauling me out - plus it would not be a pretty sight!
 
Dearest puffin,
I haven't been posting much, getting on with life :) I wanted to wish you the best on your up- coming
Procedure. I hope it's everything you want & more :kittykiss: I will be thinking of you & want only the best
For you. You so deserve a great out come.....
Best wishes :friends: & hugs coming your way :SUNsmile: Please keep us informed, I will look for your posts !!
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Dianna. Wanda, Puffin.
Just peeped to see how you all are. Glad you are all progressing.
I'm just plodding along. Other knee needs sorting but I'm not in a good place.
Love to you all.
Xxxx
 
I've been having a very down and depressed week wondering if I will ever recover from this and if I will every get rid of the walker :boohoo:

It is just taking so long and I am still unable to do much as I have poor balance and a lot of pain (especially shin pain) when I walk or if I do things that involve standing up from sitting and an intesive burning pain at night. I keep hitting a "pain wall" if I overdo things even moderately that leaves me drenched in sweat and needing a shower and complete change of clothes :hairpulling: So embarrasing when it happens out of the house such as in IKEA last week: I feel exhausted and still cannot sleep through the night

I am having surgery for adhesions on Friday - hoping it will help the situation - especially driving - but don't know how long recovery will take

Anyone have any suggestions of how to get over this? Any advice Josephine ?
 
Puffin, I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I am very much afraid that I am unable to answer your post right now as I am in London and don't have time to read your thread right though. But I will do it at the weekend, okay?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom