Guest viewing is limited

THR Postalgal's left hip recovery

Well, I found out there is life out there! lol We voted early, and did go watch Doctor Strange. It was great! I took 2 pillows and sit in the handicap chair, had a high back and cushioned seat, in with the walker, only got up once.

One thing I discovered is I am SOOOO grateful for the new hip! Driving or riding before was horrible on dirt roads, any bumps, etc. I would hold my thigh so that it wouldn't move, I usually would end up crying as husband reminded me. Well that painful hip is gone now! I have a new one! One more happy thing I have discovered and so joyous about. So happy that God gifted us with another chance, that things heal, that he loves us all so!

Happy Dance today, may go do this again tomorrow!
 
So glad you are starting to see the benefits of this great surgery. Technology is indeed on our side!
 
I only had trouble going to sleep last night, started to whine a bit, husband said I was afraid this might happen...hmmm, he said well maybe you need half a pain pill, okie dokie I said! lol! I really wasn't hurting, I think it was the emotional and energy drain??? I still cannot sleep at length, maybe the longest ever is 3-4 hours, wake up, sleep couple hours. Really ready for an all night sleep!
 
Sleeping on your back is difficult at first. I got used to it as I had spinal surgery years before my THR. In addition I found that sometimes I was so tired from the day's activity that I felt wired. Might not make sense but for me being too tired meant I couldn't sleep. Don't fight it and do take your pain meds if needed. This too shall pass!
 
@Jaycey Thanks! I was wondering about that, if I just wasn't so tired, I couldn't put it all down. In fact I said that this morning. Oh for that day, that this will all pass! Thanks so much!
 
@Postagal Woo Hoo! Out to the movies already! Good for you! At the movies the handicapped area is right where you walk in thankfully. I am impressed. I did not go out until I could walk without assistive device last hip but will go out this time. Helps your spirits to be lifted up!
 
@SwimGirl Yes ma'am, the nurses encouraged me to yes please get out. It was great, so now I know what to expect, and yes did get the handicap with 2 pillows. I am out to see Jack Reacher! Wednesday will be another outing, but to OS, that will be ALL day , ugh . Not so looking forward to that one. But have pain pills will travel!
I wanted to go to Church , but not convinced husband of that yet. So whenever safe to drive, nooo hurry, I will be going!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal You sound like you're definitely getting your energy back. Good news! I think if I went to the movies right now my companion would have to keep poking me awake!
 
@gertie I think what it is, getting out now before husband has to go back tomorrow is my big thing. Lol
Tomorrow I lone it.



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal- I'm so glad to hear you're getting out and about! And you went to see a movie! Way to go! I haven't attempted that yet because of the seats and the 90 degree rule. I know it felt good to just go so something normal.

Ahh sleep, it eludes us. Almost everyone I've talked to did not sleep well after surgery and I am no exception. I slept in 1-3 bursts, then up for a few, then slept for another 1-3 hours. Did this for 6 weeks and then my doc finally let me have my Ambien again. I have chronic insomnia. And hate sleeping on my back . I have learned to like it for now, but as soon as I can sleep on my operated side I'm doing it! I kept telling myself it was all worth just a few weeks of sparse sleep.

Emotional and energy drain are very real. I'm still experiencing them. I work hard every day on walking and some days it exhausts me. All of us have felt that way at some point on our journeys. Hang in there you are doing great!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Postalgal- I'm so glad to hear you're getting out and about! And you went to see a movie! Way to go! I haven't attempted that yet because of the seats and the 90 degree rule. I know it felt good to just go so something normal.

@jaymo My first time, I was very apprehensive as I didn't think I could either. So, since we are "regular's" lol! They let us go look first. They do have handicapped area, which consists of 2 better seats, a little higher and a high back and they have cushioned seats, with about 4 seats missing in the next row for a wheel chair even. Remember they cannot discriminate! I took 2 pillows in and the walker. And also check out the potty. I bought off Amazon the she wee, that takes some practice. But I was able to use the handicap toilet this time. Too much info? Na, we need to know these things, lol! Anyway, I was able to sit comfortably and extend my leg, and with chair arms easy to get up. I am pretty stubborn, I am experiencing some independence as well. I read my book again and boom, there is said it, you will soon do that.

It is a roller coaster isn't it of highs and lows? Main thing I am keeping on my mind is keeping the hip safe. I am today reporting using very little pain meds. This doesn't seem right??? But to have a clear head is good, I do take my Darvocet, whole one at night, to make sure I get SOME sleep. Last night was better, I think better because no nap, I intend to take my naps, as this is healing as well. Just a few weeks, I keep saying this as well. Keep on keeping on!
 
Two weeks ago today I had my Left THR! I hate saying anything, because it can always change, ugh! But feel good and hardly any pain pills, none since last night at 9pm! Could this be real? Up and about, folding clothes husband brought up. (washer and dryer downstairs, not safe yet on those stairs, to carry loads of clothes) Feel more worthful, doing some household things. Did help SO much to get out and see there is a world of humans.

Loning it now, not as scared as I thought. Probably the boredom I was worried about, but with a huge house, there is much to do that I have not been able to do! I am grateful daily of my new hip, I could just explode! I hope everyone is doing great, stay on top of your pain meds. I am still taking one at night, as I found at night as our members told me, your body is tired. Hugs to everyone!
 
Sounds like you are doing great!
I find some days better than others. At your stage, I would do a little and then go take a nap. Do a little and then lay down and ice. Now, (7 weeks post op) I'm starting to feel more normal, but have to remind myself not to overdo. I can definitely do a lot more, but if I do too much, I "hit the wall". Not pain as much as just completely and utterly exhausted. My goal is not to let myself get to that point anymore if I can help it.

Keep doing what you are doing.

P.S. I have very vivid dreams on narcotics. Doesn't seem to matter which one. They also tend to give me headaches. I find I stop taking them when the headache is more painful than the pain I am trying to treat.
 
@OUCH! That is why I stopped the percocet, wow! Really bad nightmare and that was it. I have went twice 24 hours without any Darvocet, I tried the tylenol early, was too early and went back to Darvocet. But last two days nothing until night, and not sure why I took it especially last night, only 2 1/2 hours sleep! ugh! I took a nap 1 hr, then slept another hour today. Feel like the day is wasted. I go to the OS tomorrow and ask alllll my questions. lol

@tamra I think I paid yesterday from the weekend, took a 2 hour nap, but then last night I couldn't go to sleep? I think I have election stress? lol Too many issues in my life as well, I have to let go, not to mention worrying about hip, if I am doing enough or to much. The OS is tomorrow, finally hoping he just says get up and go, haha! Ah, the energy drain is real!
 
Only two weeks out. My right quad still isn't working so no get up an go for me :-( . Hope he releases you for some stuff though. My OS is going to be explaining to me why i am broken tomorrow!
 
Only two weeks out. My right quad still isn't working so no get up an go for me :-( . Hope he releases you for some stuff though. My OS is going to be explaining to me why i am broken tomorrow!
Yes, he/she needs to tell you what is going on. So we both are going tomorrow, good luck to you! Hugs!
 
@Postalgal- sounds like you are doing really well! Still early days for you so take it slow and steady. Take care with that wonderful new hip, rest and ice as much as you need. It really is just a few short weeks of inconvenience while you adjust. Then you'll be back to doing the things you love.

It's great that you were able to get out of the house a bit. That was the worst for me. Other than PT and de visits , my first outing was to a restaurant at 5 weeks. I was scared that I would need to use the ladies room and they wouldn't have an adequate height toilet. Luckily I didn't need it but in subsequent outings I've been checking out the facilities in various places, I have to say there are not many higher toilets in handicapped restaurants any more. Bummer. I ordered a she wee which should make it here by the weekend so I should be set if I go anywhere. I'm glad you mentioned that topic as I've been wondering how to handle that.

I can understand why you would want to stop taking a narcotic that gives you nightmares. Surely there must be other options for something stronger than Tylenol. At 2 weeks I still needed my oxycodone several times a day, especially for PT. It didn't give me nightmares but it did give me a fuzzy "Percocet brain" lol.

I agree with that our new hips are just amazing! It's incredible what modern medicine can offer to us that can change our lives. I wake up every day thanking God and my surgeon that I was finally able to get one!

Take care and keep us posted on your appointment tomorrow!




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@SwimGirl a she wee is a thing for women to potty standing up lol I used it once. Practice first! Lol
@jaymo and everyone, visit went great, graduated to cane and supposedly off aids in 2 weeks! Really? Drive then.
X-rays looked good. Said I can do aleve now with baby aspirin or ibuprofen . Or if needed can do occasional pain med, still have plenty yay!

Only thing I didn't get out going or coming home, hour and half drive, goofed and probably walked more. So left knee hurting. I iced it, made it more stiff, now elevating, first time for knee to bother me this much. Hopefully stops soon. I'll lay here awhile.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom