Guest viewing is limited

THR Postalgal's left hip recovery

Holy smokes! Knee pain at its finest, so this is when you overdo? Gotcha! Hurts!!!!!!! One hydro, 2 hydro, doc said I could have aleve, took 1, finallyyyy getting relief . Tomorrow I'm dreading . Hope this doesn't linger. So I count hours today, wayyyy too long on it, thought body told you before to stop . Gradual knee pain to full blown. No swelling. Just telling so people and me remember get off your feet. Lesson learned.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal Thanks for clearing that up. She wee. Hmm... looks like a good report at follow up appointment. Good deal, I need to gradually increase my distance walking. It is around house or a long walk to appointments.
Sorry you had such a long drive. Bummer! Hope knee improves!
 
Sounds like you had a great appointment and are doing well, except for that dreaded knee pain-ouch! I have been getting some knee pain as well towards the end of my walks. It's not so bad that I take an extra med but I do elevate and ice when I get home. My OS says some of his patients get knee pain as the new hip is getting aligned and that it should go away.

Sometimes, when I overdo it, I don't feel it till the next day. I've read others stories here to the same effect so youre not alone. On those days that I overdo it I make the next day a rest day. Usually that takes care of it.

Hang in there and keep up the good work in recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Everyone! It is a brrrrr, cold morning, finally dropped in the 20's last night. I haven't posted in awhile. Getting a bit better each day, finding my limits, wanting to do, trying to not overdo. So I have to remember the word RECOVERY, that is why I am not working, to heal.

I received a package in the mail from a co-worker, chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate homemade pops, decorated as a nurse, doctor and a doctor bag, so cute! Chocolate cures everything!!! lol Very well happily received and thanked my friend/co-worker.

Yesterday, my daughter and her kids came and spent a few hours, loved it, was so happy and excited to see them! As my 10 yo granddaughter and almost 5 yo grandson always comes running when they leave the car! Oh, love all my grands to pieces! Made for a great day! Energy drain zap, immediately after they left, lol! I had cooked easy spaghetti, sit outside on the porch and yakked, and went out in the yard with them, and lots of pictures, checkers, Daughter and granddaughter made up my bed, where hubby didn't have to, its huge and all the comforter and everything is heavy, I see why they told me not to make the bed yet. ugh!

Anyway, I can do simple things, I am not out to conquer the world just yet, as I want to heal and conquer it later! lol I cook some, clean some, lots of walking in the house, and do some outside. I learned that hard lesson going to the doc, up too long, not doing that pain thing in knee again if I can help it!

I got to talk to @tamra the other day, it was great! She plans on trying to work a few hours next week and see how it goes. I hope she doesn't care me speaking a little for her, still working on her quad muscle, praying it hurries up and does its thing. She is a go getter. Her like me, our work calls us. lol! What will they do without us, oh well?

I think Hubby and I are about to take a trip to retrieve a log splitter, he was given tons and tons of wood for our outside furnace and lots way to big, he splits wood, but this is the mother load of wood, enough for a few winters, lol! Hoping I keep in check of time and get to visit brother, all without overdoing.

Everyone have a fantastic day and heal that hip! Love to all!
 
@Tweetybrd that's fine, remember all is different. Yesterday marked 3 weeks post op! I woke full of energy and cleaned off hubby's nightstand lol Wait for it... 2 hours worth lol! I felt bad I haven't done it, well who wants to do anything pre op in pain? It's HIS area, another by his chair in the living room ugh! He had $14.80 seriously in change! Lol I gathered it, stuck the money jar there and all clean. He felt bad , noooo ! It's ok, we work , he has been doing so much the last 2 years and half of my stuff too!

I even baked a cake! Whoa! Not done that for awhile either. Not kidding my days were get up, shower, work, dread walking to car at lunch or anytime, climb stairs, couch, TRY to sleep comfortably . Those days are gone! I'm still slow , sometimes I forget my cane walking. But doing good. Another thing I have to remember is it isn't healed yet. Yep, the body will tell you with your big intentions , but it's ok. You have to heal..

Today, I really wanted my popcorn. I discussed with hubby I might drive to the dollar store. Just 10 minutes away. I can go to my Terrain just fine, it's high up sitting, I maneuvered in from backside turning with good hip as instructed with seat back, lifted leg and in! Woohoo! Yes I did it, easy does it. In the dollar store you would think I had never been anywhere before ! Ha! So, yes I messed up, went down every aisle, I wanted popcorn right? Ugh, so probably on my feet in there close to an hour. A little knee throbbing tonight, but not like before. Knocked it with a trusty pain pill . So I must pay attention to time. Phooie! Another lesson learned. Well this is why they tell me 3 months I guess, because I want to go go go. So, take care of you so we can take care of family.
Nite nite!!!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal I don't mind at all! Between working 4 hours a day and then trying to rest up from it haven't really had time or energy to get on here.

I work a desk job and really have no problem sitting if I get up and move a little every hour. Getting caught up at work and they are glad I am back. If you get bored in the afternoon again just text me! Be glad to talk. Looking at going back to work 6-8 hours a day the week after Thanksgiving so my vacay is almost over lol.

Still on the pesky walker because of the knee issue but hey .. I got out of bed this morning , took two tylenol and went to work so I am doing great!
 
@tamra I will! Wasn't for sure about when to try. Congratulations and I know you are sooo happy! I am not ready to go back to the dungeon and be attacked just yet, lol! I guess you see that I drove yesterday. I totally forget my cane sometimes. Protecting Mabel, lol And great on this morning, I do think time will take care of that knee, keep after the OS too. Take care, I will be calling! lol!
 
I am driving too. Apparently, my OS says if I think I can do it to do it. He doesn't have a lot of rules. Just don't cross my legs and watch the 90 degree thing. I drove a stick shift for eight years and just sold it last spring so used to using my left foot on the brake which is what I do since the right leg doesn't move as well as it should. Small town though with everything close so don't have to drive too much. But oh the feeling of FREEDOM it gives you!
 
Sounds like you're doing great and moving right along! I love to read happy recovery stories. I laughed when you said you forgot your cane- I do that all the time! I've decided to just leave it in the front seat of the car- figure I can't forget it there.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo lol! Well last night, I forgot the walker taking a shower! Ha! I use it just to stabilize once out, not to grab... so I'm thinking oops, lol But I didn't need it! More sure on my feet. My thing since day 1 is scared of anything new, so when I do something not done either before or after surgery it's a celebration! Lol

I drove to meet hubby for lunch, got gas and did well. Everyday is better!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal sounds like you are doing fabulous! So much energy. I was doing the same thing on my walker. Just having it outside shower to help stabilize. Amazing how steady you become on your feet after a while. In fact as you get stronger you do walk off and leave the cane behind wondering where you left it. A good sign! I love the dollar store too! I would have been in there an hour as well! Ha! ha!

@tamra Congrats on driving and returning to work. Lots going on. Use walker whenever you need it. Sometimes I use it middle of nite just for stability even though I use cane mostly during day. Let's get our money's worth out of it! Enjoy your new found freedom of driving!
 
But it varies you see. From person to person it varies. In my chart I've quite clearly said that it is just "to give you a general idea" how the risk factor works.

It is the varying that scares and worries me. Yes I am a big girl, lol! But at the same time, just wondering where my limits are. Varying does depend on what you did before and how active you were I think. However, with that said, I don't think because you were active your immune to dislocation. I am just sitting here right now wondering because the books say you can't break the 90 degree rule after 6 weeks, should I? (2 weeks to go) I will be very afraid.. Also the PA told me that I can, not that I must cross my ankles, that I can, not must, start itching my operative leg up with my toes gradually as comfortable to my knee on non operative leg, in that I might be able to put on socks and shoes. your thoughts on this @Josephine ?
 
I am just sitting here right now wondering because the books say you can't break the 90 degree rule after 6 weeks, should I? (2 weeks to go) I will be very afraid..
Everyone hip is different. I found it quite hard to stick to the 90 degrees with my second hip because it just felt more flexible and able than when I had the first one done. My surgeon lifted all my restrictions at five weeks but told me to be sensible - no sudden moves, test any new movement very gently and stop anything that felt in any way uncomfortable. I think that advice is probably the best. You don't go from having restrictions to being "normal" in one step.
 
I had a long plastic shoehorn and applied hair removal cream with it rather than shaving. It wasn't perfect but it mostly worked.
:heehee:
 
Nearing 4 weeks post op. Still taking 1/2 tab of Darvo, not so much pain, just jittery under the knee, or sometimes a little pain, but still right at 9pm! Definitely clock work, lol! So I fell asleep last night thinking got this, nope, 1130pm it said you fool! ha! Ok then 1/2 tab again, thinking, it is OK, I walked a bunch outside and the usual inside.

Doing more and more cleanup chores, it is been awhile that just things like drawers have not been cleaned out in years! I have this sense of (I think since a new hip) I need this house cleaned up as well, like a starting over thing and before I go back to work? Not ready for the post office thing, as I work the window, way too much lifting, standing, walking involved. When I do go back, it will be half days. Hip first. Unless they offer me a sit down job somewhere. I most likely will keep the stool as I had one before and no way could stand all day then.

Ahh, Thanksgiving approaches, hubby just would rather skip it as most holidays, he wants to appear as Mr. Humbug, but he really likes the company, lol! I don't know if I managed to miss the order dates, but really don't care. Youngest son made me so happy (finally, lol) and said Mom, I don't care if we have KFC or cheeseburgers! Oh, that made me feel so good as it is about family and we don't have to do the traditional! However!!! Me being me, and love the traditions, who says you can't do new???? So with that, I have grandkids excited, some people do this, we have never, we will decorate the tree as a family once again, as when little only on Thanksgiving Day! One granddaughter wants to make a new ornament each year, fantastic, it is a hit! What they don't know is we might take it down on Christmas Day as well! lol! Hey I am now the Matriarch of this family, since I lost both parents a year apart 2014. I had to create something to hold it together! Plus my marbles. Holidays can be rough on all of us. Do the best you can do or just go on a trip! Hubby still pushing for this at Christmas, how can I leave my babies? lol

Well this is the plans, not for sure on the food as yet, but this Momma/grandma isn't doing it all, hip first! Not putting it on husband either. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Hopefully more posts this week, as I hit I am thinking that plateau everyone is talking about, it does get better each day!!!!!
 
Varying does depend on what you did before and how active you were I think.
Actually, no it doesn't. Not in the least.
However, with that said, I don't think because you were active you are immune to dislocation.
Exactly so!
I am just sitting here right now wondering because the books say you can't break the 90 degree rule after 6 weeks, should I?
This 90 degree restriction rule isn't the holy grail. I know heaps of hip surgeons who don't impose these on their patients and never have and their dislocation stats are no more or less than those surgeons who do. So do the restrictions prevent dislocations? Who knows? :shrug: I tend to think not.
Also the PA told me that I can, not that I must cross my ankles, that I can, not must, start itching my operative leg up with my toes gradually as comfortable to my knee on non operative leg, in that I might be able to put on socks and shoes. your thoughts on this, Josephine?
'itching'? I think you mean scratching! And what do I really think of the advice? In a word it's "stooopid"! You can achieve the extra reach without that.
 
'itching'? I think you mean scratching! And what do I really think of the advice? In a word it's "stooopid"! You can achieve the extra reach without that.

@Josephine Ok I meant inching......lol!!!!!!!!!!!!! I watched the PA and I was thinking right! No..but she insists this is how you put your shoes on? No, no , no, not doing that. So do you have a link on doing so, I have the blasted shoe horn, doesn't work, I know, now isn't the time to worry about later, but this is how it is...the plateau thing, how will I do it??? Right now I have sketcher slip on's and a sock thing to use of course. Ok, thank you much, I will let you be and answer more IMPORTANT questions, thanks muches!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom