THR Postalgal's left hip recovery

@Postalgal glad you are doing so well! I had pain on the top and bottom of my thigh too. Still tender but only if i touch it lol.

Got two bags of blood in me today so the soonest i will home is tomorrow. As long as my hemoglobin holds up! Sure made a difference in how i feel!:cheers:
 
I call this Day 4. We knew that would be the key for you @tamra so happy for you they checked all that. :dancy:
Today is better again, on percocet at night and narvocet during the day. Starting to go a tiny bit past the time limit of pain meds, but must stay on top of pain:scare:only talking about 10 minutes, lol but better than waiting on them. Today we began our outside adventure, out the door 2 steps, a landing then 7 more steps down, around the truck and back up. We live in the country, so lots of oak trees with acorns on the ground and squirrels and mole holes to watch for. Now I get to see if I pay for this with also walking in the house with as ordered (walker and leg pumps, for 2 weeks) So I think we have to see what our tolerance level is? I am excited for each day, and hope each day is good for all as well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't have to pay to bad today, was expecting some, had a little throbbing but left pretty quick. Oh , slight fever, but that's normal. It's gone as well.
Today finally my shower chair came in, it's a tight squeeze with the molded seat that is too low. BUT first real shower since Monday am! It feels like another step of recovery, nothing so refreshing, now wore out, night all. Sweet dreams to everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I sent Hubby to bed last night, lol! Seriously, I said nurses work usually 12 and do get off work. That I can do my meds, he has a notebook, which was advised from here, great idea! I have my cane to get out of bed in case the left leg doesn't want to move. So he gave me my meds, notebook, got me set and slept from 10pm to nearly 8am! Woohoo! We have to take care of our caregivers too,:roseshwr: Or I feel I have to. He had dedicated himself to me for the first week. So I was up twice, did my pills, recorded on time. Used the cane to pull the leg up, getting easier to move, maybe the muscles are healing? But doing exercises too. I reached for my water, and kerplunk, all over me, lol! COLD! Ahh, nothing, I can't fix, moved the towel under me, thank goodness, caught most of it, and got a new one, up and got more water and new ice packs, that wasn't in the plan, lol But I did it fine.
So he keeps sleeping, great, he won't be cranky, yeah! I get up again and maneuver the coffee pot, success only i need to put that in the Rtic cup and stick in the bag with a walker, all this gear has to travel with me, lol! He rose! He said breakfast too? LOL! No, not quite yet. Little great big things, he was very proud of me, I am happy, I think that this is great, Yes? No telling where we will be next week! I have to vote! LOL! Oh granddaughter comes next week, I have to get the shower down by then, but then again if i need man power, (I have a big guy) he will be home at night. Is setting goals wrong? Probably, but I do it, not to get myself upset, but hopefully to be able to be more independent each day without throwing out the hip! Love to all! Have a great day!
 
@Tweetybrd That is what mine did, take off one week. He is constantly busy, with his quad copter stuff, right now anyway, working on his tractor during the day. I had bought lots of the little frozen dinners and he likes his soup or cooks burgers, he even cooks a little bit of breakfast. But this will stop, :( and then granddaughter comes Monday I think. But hopefully, I am able to do more.

Suffered a bit today, but no pain no gain I guess. Walked outside again and did our porch stairs, very easy with pain meds. But it comes after you, ugh.. I learned quickly for me, take my pill, on hour 2 go, and then by the time 2 more hours, time for a pain pill. Didn't suffer long, seems that pain goes quicker too. So tomorrow, will only do the same as I did today, no more.

Getting a bit easier each day. Happy the dead leg is moving more and more on exercises and getting into the bed, out of bed is way easier now.

The hospital called today to see how I was doing, that was great, said I could take off the leg pumps next Thursday, since I move and doing exercises. Just want to be safe. I have compression socks though, I will put those on anyway, just cause. They also asked if the pain med scandal was resolved! Wooh! Yes, received the shortage on Wednesday.

Going to call it a night soon, hope everyone is doing great!
 
Day 6, I finally took out the sock thingamajig and it works lovely! I raised my "dead leg" perfect last night, think the muscles are much better. Oh, I went an hour and a half without pain meds! I slept! Just getting ready to make sure I can do more myself Monday when hubby goes back to work so Granddaughter and I can have more quality time, even though she is 18 I still want to spoil her however that maybe? lol
Have a wonderful day everyone! It's 60 degrees here, and door open in Arkansas, lol But will close it about noon, still having to run AC in October, up to 85 each day, hottest they said in 50 years, wow!
 
Wow sounds wonderful we are 14 degrees here and it's dull. Good old British weather saying that can't knock it been quite good for October! Sounds like your recovery is going very well and your positivity is beaming through on your posts. Have a wonderful time with your grand daughter :friends:
 
I am sure u want to spoil your granddaughter but maybe she wants to spoil u for a change :-)

Don't overdo!
 
@Postalgal Sounds like you are doing better and better! I think that is really sweet your granddaughter is coming to help, and I agree with Tamra, let her doing the spoiling this time. :)
I am glad they got your meds situation figured out. That was crazy! But I now will be telling my hubby to count mine after my surgery!
We were 100 degrees here yesterday, and it is almost Nov!!! I am sooooooo tired of the hot. :hissy:
 
Hope all continues well with you! I'm off to rehab today for a couple of days then home.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hope you have a wonderful visit and had a good night. My Recovery+ cooling (for icing) and dvt compression took a dump last night so the are bringing me another this morning. I kept smelling something hot .. it was the plugin. Almost melted the part where it plugs into the machine.

So up to get a bag of real ice from freezer. Be looking for progress report from you!
 
@gertie Good luck with rehab, will be watching for you! And thank you bunches!

@tamra Granddaughter comes today, will miss hubby going back to work, but someone's gotta do it:headbang: I can under my own power move my leg up on my high bed and have let him sleep and do my thing for 3 nights now! :wow: Not bragging, it for me is a sense of independence I guess...that, I CAN DO IT. lol! I got out of the shower alone, off the shower seat, I really need a bar, I will get one. If I can get rid of the fear thing, getting in, I will be fine, almost there. lol!

Today, hubby wants to know if I want to go riding in the pickup, I said immediately yes, but he wants to drive over the bumpy field and find the cows?? HMMMM....I don't know. I want to, but what will body say? Most likely he will have to go get grand daughter, I might chose that one.

I am still going outside and doing my walk and down and up the porch stairs, trying to increase distance, it is much different than the smooth house floor, (wooden). After the outside walk, usually a bit of pain, but put at bay with the meds. Doing the exercises in the book from Joint Academy has helped so much. I didn't understand at the time why I couldn't move, duh! They were stretched, and have to get them back in order.

So tomorrow marks one week. I mostly have graduated from 4hours to 6 hours on pain meds. That is 5mg of Darvocet day, and 5mg Percocet night (spelling?) I would like to try Tylenol when it seems practical? Kind of scary, lol! I don't like taking pills, I don't think any of us do. Glad we have them, can you imagine before modern medicine??? Awful scary what people had to endure.

I am off to put on a bit of makeup again, sure does make a body feel good and put on clothes. I can do this with my reacher and able to wear underwear. WAS so happy to put those on! No problem with where the band aid is. I have the extended shoe horn, both from amazon and can put my skechers on, I love those shoes! Will check in later, everyone have a wonderful day and get better, easy does it! Much hugs to all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Grand daughter is here! We watched some Hallmark Christmas? movies, lol Happy Grandma! They went out with me and held up the walker from me, hmmm, I have been putting some weight on it, I mentioned it to Hub this morning, and oh boy, lol! I did ok, I feel like I backpeddled? Doing the Frankenstein walk outside, better inside, still with the walker as doc orders, but practicing letting it roll and ME do the work, exercises, great to be on this side finally after 6 years!
 
Sounds like you're doing great! So glad your grand daughter is now with you. Let her spoil you...and get plenty of rest. Go ahead and tell her right now that you might drift off in mid-sentence and not to be offended by it. Keep up the great work!
 
Ok, I am done with the percocet, phooie, finada, out of here. I read the bottle and said severe pain. I don't have severe pain, so I waited from 6pm to 1am and had slight, instead of getting up and getting the darvocet I took half to sleep, wrong! I had a nightmare that I will never forget! Stuff is bad, bad, bad. Severe pain only, I took 13 1/2 total in one week and putting those away, I will take two darvo's if I have to, but hoping not. Getting tylenol today and start that and see how that goes.

So now that I am a little clear in thought! lol Whaaa happened? Just kidding, a week has went by and is a blurr. I am reading what I have is an ingrowth hip replacement. Bone grows on prothesis, wondering who has these. And I know I am supposed to walk and exercise, but it says two months of extra precautions, don't know who to tag, maybe I will call the nurses, I am to call for questions, lol! I mean put the weight on it or not? I go to doc or pa on the 9th, boy will I have lots of questions by then.

So anxious to hurry and do, and that's what I can't do. Patience is not my best virtue! lol
Turns out as I had hoped so far so good, and not needing grand daughter, mostly just being here, its great. I outlasted everyone and watched the world series, to see the Cubbies make history! yay! My team is Cardinals, being from St. Louis. But it's been awhile for the Cubs, go Cubs!

Anyone had bad experience with percocet nighmares and just general over all hurt, like I was frozen solid the length of time asleep? I'm done with those, I think first time to take. Worked while I needed them, maybe that is my sign I AM done with them. Good, I am happy, lol And anything you know about ingrowth implants would be appreciated!
 
They (ingrowth implants) are supposed to be better for long term implants (on younger hosts) than cemented but the data really isn't there to support that yet IMO.

I believe that is what was used for mine too. I will find out all the details on wed appt. I have the ceramic ball too unless he changed that.

And i agree with the percocet thing. They gave that to me for one day and i asked to be switched to norco which i tolerate a lot better. As long as it is severe pain they don't make me nauseous. I have been taking two 5mg pretty much every four hours. Keep trying to drop it to one or one and a half .. hurts too much when i do. My incision isn't hot or anything but it sure is painful if i drop back on pain meds. Have weird pains running up and down muscles in upper thigh too. Like muscles are spasming.
 
I have an uncemented implant and doubt I fit the younger criteria[emoji1] my instructions are precautions kinda sorta take it really easy for at least a month but weight bearing as tolerated from day one and I'm pretty much full wb on day5.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I'm not needing much for pain meds but when I do take something I have dilaudid at 2 mg dose. Makes me sleepy but no other side effects. Nurse in hsp said it has a low side effect profile at low dose


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Well, after the nightmare and I got awake good and a small nap, I went outside and tripled my distance, thought that was amazing and trying to walk mostly carrying walker with granddaughter, Crystal on the other end. I am saying this because I made the call to the Nurse and asked about tylenol and what I was doing. She said oh no! Keep using the walker until I see the doc, and don't worry about distance, too soon! UGH! That I could end up with a gimp and stop pushing, that I sounded like doing great. Well so much for that, I am glad I read more about the ingrowth, and again, bone smart mantra says hips heal themselves. Do I feel stupid or what? I told hubby about putting weight on the walker and was doing it correct, so back at it, lol! I just don't want to get the muscles all tied up again, and go through the pain, but maybe I won't?

Info on the extra strength tylenol to me, is this of course we know that the darvocet has tylenol, yes ma'am, but if that is all I take, try to stay under 2000mg and no more than 3000 mg in a day. So nothing since 9am this morning and had already walked outside today. Walking all over the house and finally doing some light housework, and watching movies. I do get bored easily...not a home person....let's see how this goes.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom