THR Postalgal's left hip recovery

Day 2- It was way different than some posts or books. Right no pain immediately after or during the night, but hard to sleep on my back or a hospital. But that is what we do. So I was up this time in a chair, wonderful on the back, still no pain, I await... ok where is Pt and I want my walker.Teach me teach me I'm thinking, oh they did, 2 pain pills, they say you will need them, I'm thinking hmmm, so leg exercises, ankle pumps, stairs and walk to the room, great! Potty again! Great!
lol don't be fooled it comes, but is totally manageable! I think? They say I'm doing great that some refuse to get up? Wow! I would have to agree that if I didn't get educated here on BoneSmart I would be scared and afraid.
Guess what?? I'm heading home! I just started hurting about 30 minutes ago and said splain plz lol! Well the pt, and block is wearing off, ok then pop a pill and good but tired.
Do what they say, and don't think your better than average. Onward! We can do this! Thanks for all the concerns!! [emoji173]️


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Any idea why I have pain in the front of my thigh, it's new, maybe tourniquet ?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Chihuahuan Well good to hear. I am home, two hour drive. Have to say not fun, but I used the plastic bag in the seat, did stop in one hour, as instructed and yes was stove up, stretched it out with hubbys help , got back in for one more hour. Now this was epic, shown how to do steps, but not near easy as this morning, 9 steps total! 7 than landing , 2 more, made it, no choice or jump in a hole lol!
Na,,that would hurt worse.

Home in bed, worrying about rolling, but I have my pillow, ice, hubby going about getting me comfy , why am I not happy he is doing this? Because I am the doer, well I guess doers need help too right?

Big thing I wanted to mention, hubby went to pick up prescriptions while we finished up the discharge. We noticed hydro's were only 40 in the bottle and labeled, but should be 50! The other was correct. He waited over an hour for these. Well at this time we were headed home and I called the pharmacy there. A smart Alec woman said well you will just have to come back and I wanted to speak to the pharmacist I told her. I know the laws, and they are in possession of my original script and if I have to go bed to the doc someone pays. So I tell her pleasantly in no uncertain terms I will press charges, hung up and called the discharge apartment , they said they will no longer refer them and to proceed with charges. Seriously who got the other 10. Seconds pass, a call comes in on my phone. It's the pharmacist! Well now, laws do work opposite as well. I said you have the script , im not in a position to come back as I just was discharged from a major surgery, that he could fax the script, mail it, or mail me the extra 10. He said well I have never mailed narcotics, he would check into it. I said I have never been shorted or my prescription changed either after an hour an a half either. I said further I work for the USPS, you can mail it Registered, to me , you have my address. He said oh then I will and send me the tracking. Moral of this is count your pills , narcotics before you leave the pharmacies! I called back the hospital and they want to know how it goes. Wow.

Well hope all is well that is my excitement for today. Day 3 tomorrow!
How do you keep from rolling ? More pillows on operated side?


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal Pillows on both sides and a supersoft one under knees. Don't recollect what precautions you have.... I slept on my non-op side with a pillow between legs from day 2 in the hospital. Only tried to roll over once while I was asleep and the pain woke me up straight away.
 
I only have the not over 90 degree rule, with no crossing of legs at night. Day 3 must be better? In and out of hospital so fast , feel like I've been in a war.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Postalgal - Hi and glad to hear you're home. Of course this presents a new set of circumstances doesn't it. As far as rolling in bed I agree with @Chihuahuan and just heaped up feather pillows behind and each side of me and lay semi-reclined with a soft one under my knees. The temptation to turn would likely be halted as you would find it sore. But either way being snuggled up in a nest of pillows did the trick.
 
The pillow under the knees not tried . I pulled my dead leg over and laid sideways a bit. It was nice, my bed is high and I think it's a benefit? I'm so confused . Ugh! But I almost actually got 4 hours sleep, my problem is the bladder, they seriously said I gained 16 pounds? So we decided it's fluid ? Just would like that bladder emptied one time instead of 2 hours.
@tamra, I just had way too much activity on day 2. Feeling better this morning. How are you? Glad to see your on the other side! :)


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi @Postalgal - I was only allowed to side sleep after 2 weeks but had to lie on my operated side to prevent breaking the 90 degree rule. It felt strange at first and slightly uncomfortable, but as sleeping on my right side is my preference I soon got used to it.

I'd recommend the pillow under the knees as I use this now preOp. It takes the strain from the lower back, which is where I find a lot of discomfort.
That's a lot of fluid but I guess the exercise you'll get jogging back and forth to the loo will be good! :climb:

I was the same on day 2 - I was told it's the build up of adrenaline in the lead to the Op and the body's response to the surgery. I was wired, then on Day 3 the tiredness kicked in.
 
Hello @Postalgal Never thought about going behind the pharmacist and counting the narcotics! Good plan for
all to know! Have to laugh at the dead leg comment! Isn't that the truth! The PT dept
gave me this belt with a loop to help assist the reluctant leg with exercises and getting into bed. That has to be
due to the swelling because as soon as that went down I was hopping up in bed with both legs no trouble. IF
you did not get the belt from PT you can also use a belt from a robe and make a loop. Put your foot in there
and you are in business! I agree with @Miss Muffet on Day 3. I was very tired and just wanted to sit with my
feet up and chill. Since I will be doing this again tomorrow with my left hip I made a mental note of how each day went. Don't get over ambitious and take a day at a time for your body to heal!!! You are doing great!
 
Hello @tamra Hope you are doing well today! It is normal to feel an enormous energy drain. Each day you
will get stronger and stronger with the PT and just getting up. Here I go again tomorrow! Wasn't too bad
or I wouldn't be going through it again! Will be with you on the other side soon! As @Miss Muffet says...
leveled up! Ha! Ha! Gotta love it!
 
Ahh, so much better! I hobbled to the potty by myself! Wooot! Love all the comments, so glad to hear from you all, and know we are not alone! I am actually posting on my computer today, the phone doesn't show me signatures , so I can't see your dates. Anyway, I was able to let hubby sleep, for that trip, he maybe got 4-5 hours sleep, he was determined to hear me while working on his quad copter, lol! Did my home exercises and propped up watching tv in my own living room! It is definitely the little things and more to come each day!

I am working with the "dead leg" @SwimGirl lol! So it doesn't get stiff again, I had the posterior approach and general anesthesia. I guess the old fashion way for all of it, but I don't care, as we said the same result, and today I see I am coming along well for Day 3.. I hope I didn't scare anyone. They just operated, did pt, and out the door, basically. I can't wait for the next few days and weeks and progress each day. Yes, we can do this! xoxoxox
 
@Postalgal Sounds like you are very positive! Good for you! Keep up the good work! Because my surgery is tomorrow I will
be bringing up the rear so to speak!
 
@SwimGirl good for you, relax and as they say let the miracles happen. Will be looking for your first post on the post op side! :)


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@gertie sending happy vibes your way! Relax and let the miracles happen! We are all here for each other. Be looking for your first post on the post op as soon as you can. We can all do this!
 
Back
Top Bottom