Guest viewing is limited

THR Postalgal's left hip recovery

Holy smokes! Knee pain at its finest, so this is when you overdo? Gotcha! Hurts!!!!!!! One hydro, 2 hydro, doc said I could have aleve, took 1, finallyyyy getting relief . Tomorrow I'm dreading . Hope this doesn't linger. So I count hours today, wayyyy too long on it, thought body told you before to stop . Gradual knee pain to full blown. No swelling. Just telling so people and me remember get off your feet. Lesson learned.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

Yes I had trouble with my knees post op. I do have rheumatoid but I think even those without other joint disorders will have an impact on other joints from change of posture. You'd also be surprised what muscles go from your hip down to your knee from the outside to the inside. My physio showed me on a poster he has, I am not very up to date with my body physiology! Lol
Remember this is a big change to your body after suffering in certain postures for so long. Try and take it easy and rests up that body!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
For shaving I used my long shoe horn and duct taped a disposable razor to the end of it.works like a charm. Took a bit of practice to get used to it but in a week I was pro. I'm on precautionary NSA for another 3 weeks so I'm still shaving this way.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Fourth week mark! Woohoo! :egypdance: Ready to go, well as much as I can! lol Walking without aid, so happy to see this, without fear, and have balance, go outside, went into two stores without it. One happy hipster here. The time seems forever, but yet seems like yesterday. :spin: Key is keep mind busy and stay positive, and have things ready that you can do by yourself! :yes!:

Will do @dandy_candi . Happened again, not as bad. Yesterday, I did regular walking, in house as normal, but went to the grocery store, needed everything, husband went down aisles for me, so some were skipped by me lol And then went to a tiny sports store to get a Christmas gift. Well no Christmas shopping for me, lol Knee just felt achy underneath, making me uncomfortable, ugh, ready for that to stop to sleep, I ice and talk half a pain pill. :ice::sleeep: How are you doing and how is work? Hope all is well for you! :cheers:

@jaymo That is a great idea! I have a shoe horn, but for whatever reason it is flimsy :groan:Sooo, I will try this..I will try my reacher with the razor?:rotfl: So if I drop it, I can pick it back up? But I like the duct tape idea, duct tape does work for anything doesn't it? :rofsign:

I am back to the emoji thing, I am feeling good today...I looked at the turkeys yesterday and husband said you might as well get one! Yay! Well never ever went without one before, I didn't buy the meal prepared, soooo, I will throw that in and do what I can starting today, little bit prepared at a time, a plan!

Checking in, over and out! Have a wonderful day!!!
 
@gertie I am very, no pain as before, even recovering can do things that I couldn't before, it is going to be great!
How are you coming along, trying to keep up with threads, so hard to do! Especially when I miss a day or two! :eyebrows:
 
@Postalgal Thanks for asking! I'm moving forward each day. Still using the cane most of the time although off it some in the house. (I learned my lesson when I had my ankle injury and moved too quickly off assistive devices and ended up with tendonitis in my ankle.) Walking a bit further each time I go out. Did some grocery shopping over the weekend (small farm market). Doing some cooking. Wanting to be out and about more but I'm a cautious kind of person so slowly, slowly. Will start driving later this week. Continuing to have minimal pain.

even recovering I can do things ...
Yes, I marvel at my normal, painfree stride--hadn't felt like that for a while pre-op.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gertie Sounds like you are doing great! Cautious is me as well, finding those barriers for me is after the fact, ugh! But today, back to slow, lol!
 
I woke up alarmed this morning, as I kicked obviously the pillow to my feet, I found myself with my operative leg stretched out entirely OVER my body with the non op leg straight under me. Now what? Tie myself down? 4 weeks and 1 day out, I am not wanting a dislocation.

Tried calling the nurse, but she is out until Monday, getting a little more alarmed, next call to the clinic to see if they are around. To everyone else as well, what I am supposed to do, I cannot trust myself at night. I am sleeping some on my operative side now, as I am a flopper, wondering if I am feeling that good at night, body is flopping, ugh, Hubby went to another bed since he had a tooth pulled, so do I need a camera on me? Strapped? Help all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tons of pillows all around you. One between your knees, against your lower back and then hug one in front. Otherwise you may need to sleep on your back until you are released from any restrictions.
 
@Jaycey I think I must have gotten hot? I sleep with a fan anyway all year for noise. I don't think I had the other big pillow at that side. The one at my back fell off the bed, ugh! I guess I can drug myself to sleep on my back with pillows. Before I could feel the movement, and back off, this time it was just there! Left a message at the clinic, still no response. I really don't trust myself now
 
If you keep a pillow in front of you then that top leg will only fall as far as the pillow (not all the way down to the bed surface). Or try sleep more on your op side. I know at first it is tender so you may need to build up time on that side. After 2 hip replacements and spinal surgery I have learned to sleep on my back. Takes a bit of time though.
 
@Postalgal, I have my bed up against a wall, so that when I sleep on my side the pillows up against my back cannot fall on the floor. I agree with Jaycey about having lots of pillows all around. I have been known to use as many as ten when I side-sleep! Perhaps a king-sized pillow between your legs would be good. They are so long that it is harder for them to fall out of position.
 
@Krista Thank you as well as @Jaycey I got one of the nurses, and she said as of yet, no one has had a dislocation due to sleeping, more pillows, yes, and there is an indention pillow, I have a king sham, but it got kicked away, and the other king sham on that side, well I plead insanity, lol I don't know what happened. So, I found the wedge if I have to do it, I will, also in the bag were 2 black velcro straps, aha, strapping to the pillow tonight, it is staying, feel much better! Nurse says, well you're progressing if you can sleep on both sides, yes, but I want it to stay that way! Thank you all! Plan b!
 
Let me ask you two things:
1. did your hip wake you up with pain during the night?
2. did it hurt too much to move it when you woke up?

If the answer to both of those is no, then you have nothing to worry about. If you had even strained your hip during the night, it would have woken you up. And likewise, if you'd done anything untoward, you wouldn't have been able to move your leg easily in the morning.
 
@Josephine No to both. I'm extremely grateful. It scared me. So, I have two black stretchy straps with Velcro from the hospital. I just strapped on the sham on my nonoperative leg and actually I think will work. The other sham under the cover on the right side to catch my leg . Not for sure whether to strap it to the operative leg ? Testing it to see. Thank you for your responses!!!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
No to both.
Well in that case, you were nowhere near a dislocation. I know it worries you but please do try and be more objective about it. I predict you will be fine.

What's a 'sham'? :skep: I've heard of a 'shim' but never a sham.
 
I've heard of shim sham lol @Josephine. I'm also from UK - so for us I think that is a matching large posh 'display' pillow (possibly quilted?) to go with our eiderdown/duvet. @Postalgal, you are the pillow queen! (and @Krista!) Have you got one of those full length body ones in your collection? I've seen them advertised.
 
Back
Top Bottom