Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op TKR at 40 years young!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the beginning I kept my knee elevated with ice almost constantly. I only took it off to go to the bathroom or to grab something from the kitchen. I still ice and elevate whenever I'm home from work and all night long.

That's been me pretty much the last 2 days, glad I'm not totally off. Figure do it while I can- not working and friends are around to help me out.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Well today I've conquered the 1 crutch maneuver! Mainly to carry things back from the kitchen (food and ice machine) since I'm on my own today.

It's the small victories, right? Seem to be getting a little better at managing pain.. I imagine that takes a little trip and error, to find the right combo and timing? I've slept a lot today, but I imagine my body needs it!

Hope all is going well, looking forward to reading more tonight.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I hope you meant trial and error and not TRIP! :fingersx: It sounds like you're progressing well. I could never figure out how to use one crutch.
 
Haha- yes!! Trial and error Hoping for no tripping! Man the pain gets bad at night... Already in bed, exhausted.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
It always seemed that my pain was worse at night and I still have that problem. I think it's because I have nothing else to distract me from it. I hope you got some sleep.
 
Today I've been between a 4-7. First thing this morning was very painful/stiff. After my morning meds kicked in (OxyContin 7am, ultracet/aspirin/Oxycodone 8:30 am) and I got moving I felt better. Had 2 Oxycodone 45min prior to PT. PT was painful (7 with bending), but I felt better after- less stiff, less pain, more flexible.
okay
OxyContin 10mg 2 times per day (7am & pm)
Ultracet (tramadol/apap 37.5/325mg) 1 or 2 every 6 hours (depending on pain)
As needed: Oxycodone 5mg 1 or 2 every 6 hours for pain
My first observation is the comment 'depending upon pain'. You're only one week out - right now you should be taking the meds by the clock which is like 6am, 12 midday, 6pm and 12 midnight. That's the Ultracet and the Oxycodone. If you do this, you shouldn't need the oxycontin.
Icing a ton yesterday and today- have a polar ice machine downstairs which circulates ice water. I'm having it on/off 30-45 min on, 20 min off. Elevated on couch whenever I'm sitting down.
Overnight I have another ice machine that cycles- it gets cold and then shuts off throughout the night. Slept with it on in the hospital and now at home as well (as long as they let me have it).
Good to hear it!
After seeing PT today, much more assured about elevating- I was worried I was doing it wrong, had too much bend, wrong height etc. Have alternated between elevating and sitting up on couch- majority elevated today.
Good
Well it looks huge, but it is soft/not hard or shiny. Going by the images, I'm prob between moderate and huge/closer to moderate.
Nurse and PT assured me that it's "normal" for where I'm at..
Swelling doesn't inevitably mean hard or shiny. And yes, I'd agree it's more than normal for one week out and it will stay that way for about 3-6 weeks.
Extension is quite good (I feel I'm at 0). Today we made it to 85 degrees bend. Less than earlier in the week, but with the swelling he assured me that I'm ok.
Absolutely!
Well today I made it down the stairs, to the couch. To the kitchen, made a smoothie... That's about it! After PT have been trying to get up at least every hour/90 minutes to at least walk. Going forward I am stocked as far as shopping and have friends to support me for ice runs etc. I'll need to get back to work (desk job) as soon as I think I can take a few hours of it.
Absolutely not! We generally recommend at least 10 weeks off work even if it is a desk job.
There's more to 'going back to work' than being back at work.
And you must negotiate with your boss about the phased return to work.
Do read this Phased return to work

Today was my first Eval for home PT.
heel flex/quad straighten/butt squeezes- whenever I think about it!
Straight leg raises- I can only do with assistance/with a sheet- my quad is not firing.
At the kitchen sink- toe point/heel kick
"March" in place
Focus on heel/toe walking, equal strides both legs.
Sit in chair, slide foot forward and back
And have 14 stairs to navigate each day (bedrooms upstairs/living and kitchen main floor). So far, feel
very successful at those at least.

I haven't been good with counting reps today.. I'll try to track better tomorrow. So relieved to be feeling better with activity (vs dying as I was yesterday!).
I do need to know reps and sessions and all, please. It's very VERY important.
 
I'll need to get back to work (desk job) as soon as I think I can take a few hours of it.
I went back to teaching at eight weeks---and I changed the way I taught so it was pretty much a "desk job." Eight weeks was too early---I should have waited another four weeks, as I was stiff, sore, and exhausted by the end of the day---and, in hindsight, I now realize that I extended my recovery time, too. I even had ice on my knees and elevated them during my planning periods and lunch periods---to no avail.

"Desk jobs" still mean that there is a great deal of activity and logistics---getting up, packing a lunch (maybe) driving or taking public transportation, parking (if necessary) and getting to the office. And---you reverse it at the end of the day.

Please do yourself and your surgical knee a favor and take your time in going back to work.

Can you work from home? It would help, and you can work in shifts.
 
Thanks so much Josephine! I will track my PT better, I am seeing my person today for the first time (the other person just evaluated I guess). I'm feeling much better walking, down to using 1 crutch around the house.

"My first observation is the comment 'depending upon pain'. You're only one week out - right now you should be taking the meds by the clock which is like 6am, 12 midday, 6pm and 12 midnight. That's the Ultracet and the Oxycodone. If you do this, you shouldn't need the oxycontin."

By depending on pain, I just meant I take either 1 or 2 ultracet and Oxy. I am taking the Ultracet and the Oxycodone on the clock.
I only have 3 more days of the OxyContin left.

"Absolutely not! We generally recommend at least 10 weeks off work even if it is a desk job.
There's more to 'going back to work' than being back at work.
And you must negotiate with your boss about the phased return to work."

I work at a small company, there are only 3 of us. I'm the only one that does art and layouts for awards, 10 weeks is just not going to be possible. But when I say it's flexible, I mean I literally can go in for a couple hours and go home. Office is 2 minutes from my house, which helps as well!! I totally hear what you are saying (and appreciate it!!), just don't have the ability to miss that much time.

Thanks for the added links, I will look it all over after PT!

Thanks again


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
2 weeks post op today... I was feeling pretty great middle/end of last week! But feel like I've taken a step back....
Not sleeping great, pain wakes me up at around 3-4am.. I take my ultracet then and can usually go back to sleep for a bit. Got some Tylenol PM, and that helped the first night, but last night was rough... Imagine this is all part of the recovery.. Just frustrating.

I was walking around the house pretty well last week, felt pretty strong. Using 1 crutch and even no crutches around the kitchen or short distances.
Sat I started to feel "weak". Not painful, just felt like I was a little "buckley".. Yeah, made up word haha. My PT wasn't alarmed, everyone says the swelling and incision look good.. My quad is weak and not firing, so she feels that is what I am likely feeling.

And this afternoon I'm just exhausted/emotional.

I see my surgeon Thursday, just looking to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Don't know if I should push through, or just go to bed!

.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Whenever anyone asked me how I felt I said "every week I'm improved, every day is a rollercoaster!". I could not measure my progress from one day to the next because it would be 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Hang in there. It gets better.
 
Whenever anyone asked me how I felt I said "every week I'm improved, every day is a rollercoaster!"
I agree with this----one must remember that recovery is not linear---it is more like a roller coaster with ups and downs. The "down" days will soon disappear, but they will be there for a while.

While the recovery is not linear, it does look more like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Post op TKR at 40 years young!


Notice that the general trend of recovery is upwards---bu there are those days that have the little "hiccups" and cause some issues.
 
Thanks Hawk & Referee! I've been reading more posts as well and this does seem to be a common trend... Just feel like every time I feel positive and optimistic, I get hit with something else- new pain, weird feeling, exhausted by... Nothing!

Had a good crying melt down earlier and am feeling a little better again!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
If you haven't figured it out yet, I will tell you--exhaustion--is the number one characteristic of this recovery!:wink: Don't try to fight it--healing on this level takes a lot out of your body. It will get better but it is simply going to take time--quite a bit of time! I am at about the 7 mths. mark and I still don't have the stamina of the "pre" days.
 
Thanks guys- I totally get it from a logical, rational point of view.... From an emotional point of view it's just driving me mad!!

So happy to have this outlet to whine and b@&$h with people who understand.

Tomorrow will be a better day!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
And Kssii- do you ride? I saw the horse on your profile pic- I have ridden most of my life and was a professional for most of it:-)

Curious if you've been able to get back in the tack after your replacement?


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
@hbpeyton18 - Did not want to waylay the other thread but can continue the exchange here.

You wrap horses' legs in saran for therapy? What motivates the need? I had never heard of such a thing until bonesmart, then checked out the cling film video. I was hesitant to try it until the scar sensitivity made me very interested. After a while, the scar got less sensitive, the night pain eased and The Knee was not so stiff upon waking. Yes they are weirdly sweaty when I remove the wrap.
 
Thanks so much for posting the link! I'm sure it was part of my "welcome post" when I first signed on, I must have missed it! I get my staples out tomorrow, so I'll give it a try after that I think.

And yes- it's called a sweat wrap with the horses. We use it usually with a dmso/anti-inflammatory solution applied to the legs, a layer of sheet cotton (so things don't get too warm on the skin) and then a standard standing wrap. Sometimes it's used with poultice clay. It's generally to give extra relief for the ligaments/tendons/joints after a hard day- we show jumpers, so if they have a big class or are preparing for a big class we'll set them up. It doesn't hide or cover any injury, it is just an extra therapy for them ;-)


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Drove for the first time- woohooo!! Had to go to walgreens for a script, and was feeling pretty good this afternoon after icing all day.. Needed a couple little things, so went into the store (vs the drive through). Made it home- feel like I ran a marathon :P

So nice to get a tiny bit of normalcy back, can't believe it's been over 2 weeks since I've driven.

Hoping for good sleep tonight, still fighting that demon... Staples out tomorrow, hoping I'll feel a bit more normal after that.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom