Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op TKR at 40 years young!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those small wins keep coming, just be patient. Good luck with the staples. Let us know how it goes.
 
So nice to get a tiny bit of normalcy back, can't believe it's been over 2 weeks since I've driven.
These little tidbits of normalcy are small victories that give us hints as to what our lives will be like when we are fully recovered!

"Normal" is, ironically, GREAT! That is what it is all about!
 
Yes, I ride--used to raise Arabians and still have 7 although now "retired." See you show jumpers--my granddaughter won 2015 Res. Champion at Canadian Arabians Nationals in junior hunter over fences. Riding is the one thing that is definitely better since knee replacement. In the beginning it was a bit difficult to swing my leg across the croup without clipping my horse, but I can post again!! :happydance:I still haven't tried cantering and I am very careful when dismounting--fortunately my mare stands like a rock. (And against a rock so it isn't so far to the ground! :thumb:)
 
That's awesome! So cool to know you were able to get back to riding- that is my hope for sure.

And volleyball in the spring! Surgeon says I'll be ready for May..... We will see ;-)

And thanks Hawk & Referee- I know, have to celebrate the small victories! Got my staples out today- another step closer...


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
My BTKR friend fussed at me for not telling her about the staple removal, uh, experience. I said what can you do about it? She had the knees done in stages, a week apart. She had a much different, uh, experience with the second set of staples. To which I said, everyone is different, every knee is different.
 
Yeah- staples were much less fun than stitches! Heck, I've even taken my own stitches out in the past (my surgeon LOVED when I did that, haha). A few of them really stung, most just burned.. Weird feeling.

Happy to have them out though!! I think I overdid it today, totally exhausted. But we HAD to go see Star Wars! And the theater had recliner seats- brought my ice packs, was totally set up! Then had PT and a little work? I'm donezo for today!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Wore jeans for the first time in 3 weeks- woohoo!!! And I'm a jean every day kind of girl, so it's a big deal:-) I was worried that they would irritate the incision, but felt pretty good!

Had my sisters holiday party tonight- basically found a chair with an ottoman and pillow and planted myself there for the evening. Fun to get out and see people, all in all felt pretty good. Hoping I don't pay for it tomorrow. In preparation I laid low and iced most of the day, so think I should be on tomorrow.

Hope everyone is getting through the last weekend before xmas in one piece!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Hi all,

I thought I might start this to check in and see if anyone around my age was floating around in here! I know I can click through profiles to check ages, but that seems so stalker like :-) So I figured I'd just start a thread and see if anyone chimed in.

My surgeon keeps trying to temper my expectations for my outcome, as he feels that many times his "younger" patients have higher expectations when compared to other patients. Wondering if anyone else is having these conversations with their surgeons?

Closing in on Christmas- I'm not even remotely ready.... Yikes!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I was 46 when I had my TKR but my recovery has been atypical. I'm not ready for Christmas either. :)
 
@hbpeyton18 you may have noticed that I moved your new thread into your existing recovery thread. We like to keep all recovery information on one thread so that we can better advise you. I have also changed your thread title so that it highlights your question about TKR in younger patients.
 
@hbpeyton18 you may have noticed that I moved your new thread into your existing recovery thread. We like to keep all recovery information on one thread so that we can better advise you. I have also changed your thread title so that it highlights your question about TKR in younger patients.

Ok. I was just looking to maybe commiserate with some others.

And I'm actually 40, was just trying to open the range up a bit more.

Thanks.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I'm 43 and had my left TKR on Nov 16th. My recovery has been pretty uneventful so far. I know from previous surgeries and injuries that it takes awhile for my range of motion to return to normal. I elevate and ice a lot to keep my swelling and stiffness down. Right now my average free range of motion is 0-90 degrees. After some stretches and warming up I reached 114 degrees on Friday.

I do have a lot of expectations for my new knee. I have a very active job and I've always been an active person. Besides my job, I walk, bicycle, hike, and compete with one of my dogs in agility. I hope to be able to do all of that again when I'm fully recovered.
 
Atypical in a bad way - I had my surgery in November of 2014 - I still have very limited range of motion (65-70 degrees) and was diagnosed with #CRPS Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. It sucks - but life doesn't! I have had to change the way I do a lot of things but I have very supportive family and friends. I am hoping that I will be one of the lucky ones and the CRPS will go into remission and I will get my mobility back. One day at a time ...
 
Hi Smarttoys- good to hear that your recovery is going well! I had out patient PT for the first time today- I am able to go to the same therapist that I had for my ACL repairs, so that is nice! At home icing now, definitely did more than I have been for home PT. But the focus was balance, gait and stretching- so even though I have some pain, it felt good to move!

Wrangler- oh wow, that sounds rough. I don't know anything about the syndrome you mentioned, I will look it up! Wonderful you've kept your positive attitude, sometimes I struggle with that. When I have a set back, I get crabby!! I'm working on it...

Thanks for sharing your stories, keep me updated on your progress :-)


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Hi Smarttoys- good to hear that your recovery is going well! I had out patient PT for the first time today- I am able to go to the same therapist that I had for my ACL repairs, so that is nice! At home icing now, definitely did more than I have been for home PT. But the focus was balance, gait and stretching- so even though I have some pain, it felt good to move!

I'm doing my PT at the same facility where I did my ACL PT also. That was 15 years ago so all the therapists are different now. The therapist I have now is a good one. It turns out he is an intern.

I had PT this morning. I am now just starting to add some strengthening exercises for the knee. Up to this point the main focus was on stretching, balance, and strengthening the supporting muscles like the hip and glutes. I do my upper body workouts at the gym. I enjoy going to therapy but I only have two more sessions left before the end of the year.
 
[QUOTE="Wrangler, post: 862085, member: 17014" diagnosed with #CRPS Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.[/QUOTE]

Have you considered acupuncture for CRPS? I have treated 2 women in my acupuncture clinic this year with Type 2 CRPS. Stunningly successful results. Worth a try without a doubt.
 
Ok, so the latest mystery pain- I'm still trying to ice as much as possible, but I'm feeling pain when I do. I'm not sure if it's scar irritation? It's basically right in the center of my knee, where my knee cap would be (if I could see it- still too much swelling so no definition).

I use plenty of barrier between my knee and the ice, and I mostly notice it when using the ice machines (so not even straight ice, soft cuffs). I've tried extra soft padding over the area... Doesn't seem to help!

It's more of an ache.. Not a stabbing sharp pain like I had in the beginning over the incision.. Anyone have anything like this?! I want to keep icing, but it's really bugging me!!

Always something, right?


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I developed an adverse reaction to ice on my shoulder about 2 months after a "clean out" and ice would actually cause muscle spasms and more pain--so no ice, just heat. This is rare but it does happen.
 
I developed an adverse reaction to ice on my shoulder about 2 months after a "clean out" and ice would actually cause muscle spasms and more pain--so no ice, just heat. This is rare but it does happen.

Interesting! I've iced I feel like for my entire life haha.. But maybe it is something like a reaction... Just now I had to take the ice off, just too irritating.

I'll ask my PT tomorrow, thanks for chiming in :-)


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom