TKR Post op TKR at 40 years young!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Heather,
I'm 52, so well past 40, but I am having those same conversations with my doctor, partner, boss, etc! Everyone says how well I'm doing for only 4 weeks out, but Im constantly battling my own expectations and am continually frustrated. My knees are tender and needing time to recover but the rest of me, in particular my brain, is fine and ready to get going already! It's not like being sick, where you're content to lay around...this feels more like being tied to a chair when your really want to get up and go! As a result though, I end up doing too much and paying for it later. For example, Today I had a doc apt (1/2 hr drive each way), then popped in to my office and chatted with staff, checked in on my student, etc (was there about an hr), then went shopping for about 1/2 hour. Came back home and rested a bit then spent several hours decorating and packaging cookies. And I was feeling great, getting things done, when BAM! It suddenly it hit me hard and I was exhausted....and then in tears because I was exhausted and I had so much more I wanted to do! I honestly felt like I wanted to throw myself on the floor and have a temper tantrum like a 2 year old! How ridiculous is that?! I really have to temper my expectations with the readiness of my knees. I am going to try harder to remind myself that if I push too hard it may take even longer to be set free and I'll be tied to this "chair" for even longer! But when I'm finally healed up and ready to take on the world, look out! I was hobbled by pain for too many years, I plan on making up for lost time in a big way! :bicycle1::hiking::hog:
 
Oh absolutely! And I didn't mean to limit this discussion to just 40 year olds.

I know what you are saying- everyone keeps saying you have to take it easy, you can't do this or that etc. I can't remember the last time I had more than 7 days off of work, let alone 2 weeks!! I work for a small company- it's just not possible for me to miss more work! So I'm trying to do 1/2 days, bring ice, walk every hour etc.. But yesterday after PT and working all day, I was definitely wiped out.

Today was better, just worked and then iced. I live alone, so trying to catch up with things I've let go the last couple weeks.. Add in the holiday stuff!! Ahhh- I should be asleep already :P

Thanks for chiming in- it's nice to know I'm not the only one impatient to get going!!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Hello...I am 44 and had my first TKR 4 years ago on my right knee, and just had a TKR on my left knee five weeks ago on 11/17/2015. This time around has been so much easier as I knew what to expect going in. I trained up until the last day before surgery, swimming a mile 3x a week with a buoy between my legs and weight lifting 3x a week. I believe this has directly impacted my recovery.

I have not used crutches or a cane since coming home from the hospital. I had 125 bend and 2 degree extension at my first outpatient PT session (2 weeks after surgery) and since then have worked extension down to 0. I am blown away by this as it took me almost 3 months to get these results with my first knee replacement 4 years ago.

I struggle day to day to keep a balance of not doing too much, but I do make it a point to ride the exercise bike, or workout my upper body with one-legged pushups, planks or sit-ups just to stay mentally sane. Last week (week 4) I started swimming again and I can't believe how amazing it was to get back into the pool. And this week I was able to start using the elliptical...feels so good to get the heart rate going!

Ice and rest take up most of my day...I find this is the best at managing pain and swelling. I took 4 weeks off of work, and now work from home part time just so I can use my brain. I know my experience has been different from many of you, but figured it would be helpful to share.







RTKR 4/17/2012
LTKR 11/17/2015
 
Wow, you are totally kicking butt!! I just got around all the way on the exercise bike today, and I'm nearly 4 weeks out! And I only made it around backwards, it's just easier (and I don't know why, I remember that from my ACL surgeries).

I'm surprised they have let you in the pool already?! Is your incision fully closed/no scabs? They are telling me to still not submerge my leg, showers are fine.

Looks like you were smart about your pre-surgery regime! I on the other hand ran around doing all the things I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do after the surgery- road trips, shopping, drinking and dinners out!! Not so helpful, haha!!

Thanks for sharing your story- so glad your recovery is going so well!!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Oh and minor update:

I was so tired/crabby/painful this afternoon, and was NOT looking forward to PT. I warned them when I walked in that I was going to be pretty much useless (with the hopes that we would take it easy).

Started on the StepOne (it's like a seated elliptical, pretty cool) which is great to warm up. Did the bike, just 1/2 rounds until the end- made it all the way around!
Toe raises, side step lunges, hamstring stretches all felt good.

Therapist moved my kneecap a bit- man did that help with the stiffness. Felt odd, but no pain. Then we stretched out a bit- foot on her shoulder, easy back and forth, my control. Pulled but not painful.
Straight leg raises (were impossible last week, did 7 Monday, 20 today- go quad go!!), 20 leg kicks with the foam noodle like thing, and 20 side leg raises (lay on side, bad straight leg raises) was so surprised- no pain at all!!

And then the best part- ice and electro-stim.

Long story short- I felt so much better after PT! Which surprised me, but makes me happy since I was so dreading it.

Have some running around tomorrow for xmas prep- nervous!! Hope everything is going well


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
@hbpeyton18
Ha! That's great you enjoyed your time before this long recovery!

Yes, once the doc removed my stitches at 3 weeks, they said I could swim 10 days later. So it was mid week 4...and I went that very day!

Hope your recovery continues to keep getting better!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks TJ!
I probably just set myself back today- so hard with the holidays to not get caught up.

So in bed already, icing away.

Oh and forgot- ROM went from 96* Monday to 103* on Weds PT (and I really wasn't cranking on it, just bent better), so that made me happy!

I know we shouldn't get stuck in the numbers.... But it's hard not to!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas- happy weekend ahead


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I struggle day to day to keep a balance of not doing too much,
Me too!!!!!! I remind my loved ones that I have to push a bit because my limits are changing for the better. The only way I know how to test how far I can go is to go farther than before. What I know now is that those early pushes are not worth the setbacks. Now when I push too hard, I just have to stop and sometimes ice. El jefe is feeling good these days (and nights). When I get the RTKR, I will pack my small overnight bag and a huge suitcase full of patience.
 
Well today I got lucky- it was icy/snowy and my boss banned me from the office, haha. So I pretty much stayed in bed and iced/elevated most of the day.

Swelling seems to finally be coming down... I can actually see what I think is my kneecap!! Which of course I touched.. And it moved weird... And I freaked myself out!

Hoping this is normal?! It doesn't hurt... Just moves oddly side to side.. <shudder>


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
It is weird feeling your knee cap move that way but I've had PT and OS move it too. PT started doing that at every session once some of the swelling went down. I'm glad that you are having a smooth recovery so far. Keep it going!!
 
It is weird feeling your knee cap move that way but I've had PT and OS move it too. PT started doing that at every session once some of the swelling went down. I'm glad that you are having a smooth recovery so far. Keep it going!!

Thanks- I figured it was but it freaked me out :P Yes- the PT moved it a bit last week, but I was still so swollen I didn't really see it (she showed me because I asked if I still had one, haha!).

Today was just looking at things and saw it, and moved it- Ahhhh, so weird!

First time it makes a noise I'll be back on here wigging out...


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Hoping this is normal?! It doesn't hurt... Just moves oddly side to side.. <shudder>

It is weird feeling your knee cap move that way but I've had PT and OS move it too. PT started doing that at every session once some of the swelling went down.
My PTs also moved my kneecap around early in the recovery but I never really moved it myself. I'll have to try it at home. :heehee:
 
So today is my official 1 month mark- yippee!

Mostly walking without the crutch, am keeping one in my car in case I get somewhere and am tired or feel like it will be crowded- people tend to stay away when you have a large metal weapon :-)

110* flexion yesterday, 0 extension

Still one stepping stairs at home, but practicing stepping up at PT. quad is finally firing (yay) so straight leg raises are going well.

Still icing as much as possible, scar looks good... Was hoping to try to cut back on the meds, but I'm nervous about the pain. So I'm still on Ultracet 3x day, Oxycodone (5 or 10mg) 3x a day. Finished with the aspirin (for blood thinning).

And most exciting I've lost 15 pounds! Best side effect ever <happy dance> :-)

Here's to new happy knees in 2016 everyone! <3


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
And most exciting I've lost 15 pounds! Best side effect ever <happy dance> attachFull48450 I've lost and kept off 45lbs this year over 2 recoveries. I thought it was the drugs but I gave up the narcotics back in early August. I think after years of limited activity, my body is loving the energy burn and I'm focused on keeping it that way.
 
Absolutely! At this point I am not quite to the "more mobile" stage, but am SO looking forward to that. I'm just not hungry so haven't been eating much. And I suppose not drinking has likely helped as well with the weight loss.

I have to say- the not hungry part has made my recovery easier. Not having to worry about cooking and cleaning up meals!

And don't worry- I am getting enough nutrition I promise. I do a lot of smoothies (frozen berries, protein powder, spinach, almonds, coconut milk) which gives me the nutrients I need ;)


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I love my green smoothies! I freeze the fruit in a small snack bag and the greens in a separate baggie so that when I'm ready for a smoothie, I'm just in blend and go mode. I use almond milk, yerba mate and/or water and I don't need the ice because all the solids start out frozen. I also use whole flaxseed to get some extra omegas instead of nuts since I add protein powder. I hope Poppet is better since her nutrition info was invaluable as I figured out what I absolutely needed for this recovery.

I guess the fact that I didn't drink alcohol (read beer) for much of the year was a big help, too. maybe I won't be brewing another batch anytime soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm in the middle of week 6, experiencing some frustration. All normal, I know, I know...

Overall I do feel better/more normal. Walking without the crutch all day at this point. Have managed going up some short stairs like a normal person (haha), still haven't tried going down yet. Mostly back to work/normal hours. My boss is nice in that I can leave early or come in a bit late if I'm struggling or have PT. so I'm lucky that way.

Knee is still swollen/warm to touch. Pain is still bad at night and wakes me up. I think my incision is healed enough that I can attempt Saran Wrap. Flexion was 106* last week, don't have PT until Friday- I had to go down to 1 day a week, my copay is so expensive :(

So, so looking forward to being back to "normal"!!!!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I love my green smoothies! I freeze the fruit in a small snack bag and the greens in a separate baggie so that when I'm ready for a smoothie, I'm just in blend and go mode. I use almond milk, yerba mate and/or water and I don't need the ice because all the solids start out frozen. I also use whole flaxseed to get some extra omegas instead of nuts since I add protein powder. I hope Poppet is better since her nutrition info was invaluable as I figured out what I absolutely needed for this recovery.
QUOTE]

I use milled/ground flax seed as well- good stuff! I've been lax the last few days, need to get back on it. Getting ready in the morning is such a chore, I've been lazy and just heading to work. Must be better about that..


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I remember my first outing, when I got home and felt exhausted. I also remember that it wasn't too long after that I got the blues. My mind was ready or regular life but my body was not. Someone told me to wait just two more weeks and it would get better. They were right!! It's gradual, satisfying and empowering. We have new knees and we are healing


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom