Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op TKR at 40 years young!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a week ahead of me and you sound far more normal than I can imagine being in a week's time! Very impressed at the normal person stairs, I haven't even dared try that! I would say to give yourself a big pat on the back!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks guys! Re: the stairs- they were small and only like 5-6! We had done some step ups in PT, so gave it a little try.. It did feel good!

I am also finding another issue- since I'm not constantly thinking about it (how I step, move, walk etc) I'm starting to worry that I'm going to mis-step! I climbed into my car the other day and gave myself a heart attack- just put my right leg in like I used to and then froze :P
(I've been sitting down first and then swinging my legs in since the surgery).

So inevitably I'm going to move without thinking, and it's gonna HURT :O

All part of the fun I suppose..


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
I remember my first outing, when I got home and felt exhausted. I also remember that it wasn't too long after that I got the blues. My mind was ready or regular life but my body was not. Someone told me to wait just two more weeks and it would get better. They were right!! It's gradual, satisfying and empowering. We have new knees and we are healing


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15


Absolutely! My first trip was to walgreens. By the time I got home (like 30 minutes- it was not that long) I was near collapse!

So for sure it's been better.. My second outing was to see Star Wars! Recliner seats, brought my ice pack- leg up, popcorn! I would definitely recommend as a nice first outing for anyone is to hit the new theaters with the awesome seats! Felt amazing to be out doing "normal" things.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
It was totally awesome. And the aisles are wide enough that you can remain reclined and people can navigate around you.

It was wonderful- an excellent way to feel "normal" amongst the people after being cooped up!!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
You will be totally surprised at how you will start to do normal things again. It just seems to happen. I remember sitting and talking to someone and I crossed my legs! I put the new one on top and didn't even think about it. I was a little stiff uncrossing them but no real pain. Every week will bring on another little milestone.
 
Anyone have any remedies for restless sleep? Sometimes it's pain that wakes me (mornings/ usually just take my morning tramadol and fall back asleep), usually it's just stiff and uncomfortable.

Lately I haven't been able to fall asleep- I get restless, toss and turn, can't get comfortable. And I'm still on adequate pain meds.. Have tried Advil PM, benedryl, reading, TV... Everything that has worked in the past to no avail. Will try melatonin, just checking to see if anyone has any other thoughts. Between work, PT and this- I'm exhausted :(


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
The first few weeks were impossible for sleep. After the 1st few weeks, I used vicodin at night and when that ran out I used Tylenol, Tramadol and Saran wrap. For the 1st 6 weeks I hung out and slept in the extra bedroom so that my sleep patterns didn't disturb my spouse. With that said, I got used to not sleeping and used a natural energy booster to keep from passing out at work during the day :-) Eventually restful, uninterrupted sleep returned.
 
The first few weeks were impossible for sleep. After the 1st few weeks, I used vicodin at night and when that ran out I used Tylenol, Tramadol and Saran wrap. For the 1st 6 weeks I hung out and slept in the extra bedroom so that my sleep patterns didn't disturb my spouse. With that said, I got used to not sleeping and used a natural energy booster to keep from passing out at work during the day :-) Eventually restful, uninterrupted sleep returned.

Thanks Hawk! And I know- it's been a struggle all along. I felt like I had gotten a bit past it (got some great sleep!), but have gone way back this last week or 2 again.

I did try the Saran Wrap a couple of nights ago (incision is finally closed up totally), but didn't really notice much of a difference. I'll try it again though.

It's this restless feeling that's making me nuts and keeping me from falling asleep. Ugh


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Another comment on sleep aids following TKA:
Sleep aid hastened recovery and range of motion following TKA
Short-term application of zolpidem was linked with improved sleep quality, hastened recovery and increased active range of motion among patients who underwent total knee arthroplasty, according to results.

https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/knee/news/online/{cbc91cc8-d24b-4f88-b016-4c53c0157efd}/sleep-aid-hastened-recovery-and-range-of-motion-following-tkaecp=&dul&utm_source=maestro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orthopedics+news
 
Swapped tramadol for cocodomol for the first time last night. Slept an unheard of 8 hours! Read here somewhere that tramadol can make you fidgety and restless?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Swapped tramadol for cocodomol for the first time last night. Slept an unheard of 8 hours! Read here somewhere that tramadol can make you fidgety and restless?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum


Just looked this up- for some reason I've had a weird wired reaction to codeine.. So I'd be scared to try this one! But thanks so much- and so glad for you!

Initially (like weeks 2-4) the tramadol was brilliant for my middle of the night wake up- I'd take one and right back to sleep.. Maybe over time it is starting to wire me...


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Another comment on sleep aids following TKA:
Sleep aid hastened recovery and range of motion following TKA
Short-term application of zolpidem was linked with improved sleep quality, hastened recovery and increased active range of motion among patients who underwent total knee arthroplasty, according to results.
https://www.healio.com/orthopedics/...tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=orthopedics+news

Thanks for the link and info- will definitely look into this further..


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Oh its ambien^^. Yeah, for sure that will knock me out. Was hoping to find a less aggressive remedy... It fogs my brain!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Just waking after a 2nd more rested and peaceful night. Pain breaking though again around 4 hours but popped a single paracetomol and straight back to sleep. I think it was def time up for me and tramadol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What worked for me was melatonin (easily available over the counter). It's actually a chemical that we all produce when we are getting tired. My problem was insomnia and I couldn't seem to find a regular sleep pattern. I took it at the same time every night for about four days, the fifth day I just got really tired at that same time. I've had over a week of good sleep with no sleep aids at all (except some nice herbal tea). Whatever it takes ... I was willing to try anything for good sleep


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
Initially, the saran wrap was unremarkable for pain but it worked for my scar sensitivity. i'm not sure when the pain relief kicked in but shortly after it did, I also noticed less stiffness upon waking.
 
I was like Diogenes---but instead of looking for one honest man, I was looking for one good night's sleep. I would start in the bedroom, then move to the guest bed, then to the couch, then to the futon in the computer room, then I would throw the futon mattress onto the floor and finally crash there.

I returned to the classroom with about three hours of sleep a night, and that was not going to cut it. I finally gave in and let my OS write me a script for Ambien, which I took for only ten nights.

It got my sleep schedule back on track, and that was all I needed.
 
Absolutely! My first trip was to walgreens. By the time I got home (like 30 minutes- it was not that long) I was near collapse!
My first trip on an errand by myself took the same time---1/2 an hour, and it wiped me out for the rest of the day---remember that stamina is one of the very last aspects to return.
 
Thanks for the suggestions! Melatonin was going to be my next remedy..

I explained the hyper sensitivity that I'm feeling in my knee and the "restless" feeling and my PA put me on gabapentin, which treats nerve pain.

Initially after surgery I was on Lyrica for 2 weeks (similar to gabapentin). Since it's a name brand it was expensive! $35 for 7 days. So I asked to try the gabapentin instead... Fingers crossed.

Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom