Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op TKR at 40 years young!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an update starting week 6- I felt really good over the weekend. Was even tackling stairs like a normal person.. Going up anyway. Last night through today I was quite sore/achy. It's really (really, really!) cold.. So could be the weather..

I feel like I've sprained something? It's just like a pulling feeling in and around my kneecap.. It's possible I stepped oddly on the ice- but I'm hyper aware of how I'm moving and don't remember slipping. Likely I just did too much and made my quad angry...

Imagine it's just more of the bizarre pain associated with all this! In bed icing already... Party animal in bed by 8pm... <sigh>


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
New pics.... Guess it looks good? I have no idea.

[Bonesmart.org] Post op TKR at 40 years young!
[Bonesmart.org] Post op TKR at 40 years young!



Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Haha- yay!!! I was glad to hear it though- have been so sore/stiff this week!!

So reassuring that I hadn't broken it!


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Heather, the Saran Wrap has really helped me. I do not wrap it tightly. I have a very painful spot where the quads attach and at night it aches and I then get restless legs. I can sleep without the pain and my legs calm down. After using the wrap, in the morning, my knee is not as swollen and feels so much better. I guess it keeps it warm?? It feels strange the first night, but I preserved and I am glad I did. I do hope you find what works for you and that sleep does not elude you tonight.
 
Heather, the Saran Wrap has really helped me. I do not wrap it tightly. I have a very painful spot where the quads attach and at night it aches and I then get restless legs. I can sleep without the pain and my legs calm down. After using the wrap, in the morning, my knee is not as swollen and feels so much better. I guess it keeps it warm?? It feels strange the first night, but I preserved and I am glad I did. I do hope you find what works for you and that sleep does not elude you tonight.

Thanks! I will say the gabapentin seems to have taken that restless feeling away, and have slept much better this last week. Finally!

I did try the Saran Wrap again, can't say that I've noticed much difference with that yet.. I'm also trying Surpass. It's a topical nsaid- we use it on horses, but it has a human counterpart as well (it's diclofenac). Surgeon laughed, but said go ahead and try it. Was hoping it might help with the scar pain, so far haven't noticed much improvement.. Will give it a couple more days and see.


Heather
Left knee, 11/30 TKR
 
Hey all-
It's been awhile- I had some issues with the app and then kind of lost track of time... Hope all are doing well in their recovery.

I'm finally done with PT and am at nearly 5 months post op. Totally off meds (some Advil as needed). I've been pretty sore the last 2 weeks- but I was fighting a nasty sinus infection. 2nd round of antibiotics was Cipro, which I came to find out causes body/muscle/joint soreness. So I'm hoping that's the main cause.

Final ROM was 126 at PT. must admit I was expecting more :( But I still have swelling, and ROM on my "good" knee is only 130... So I should be happy I suppose.

Re: PT- I know the general consensus is not terribly positive on here. I wanted to pop in to mention that the PT really helped me mentally as far as moving and doing things more "normally". There are things I would have been way too nervous to try on my own were it not for my PT pushing me along.

Kneeling, getting up from the floor, jumping/landing, side to side, the dreaded bosu ball (squishy 1/2 ball- I HATE that thing with a passion). I'm sure it makes a difference who you work with- my PT is the same that got me through 2 ACL replacements 10 years ago. So she knew me pretty well going into things.

Starting open gym next week (volleyball- starting slow where I can step out whenever I want, no competition except in my own head :) ), and expecting to play starting in May!! Fingers crossed for no setbacks. Love to hear from anyone else that has gotten back to sports post TKR.


Left TKR 11/30/15
 
Glad to hear you are doing so well and are getting back to your gym and volleyball.
Your PT was right to focus on functions floor to stand, balance, and movement education. We caution about PT's who promote aggressive ROM and excessive exercise too early, which can lead to delayed healing.
Thanks for updating your progress.
I gained 5 degrees in ROM 18 months after my revision, your knee can still improve.
Here are some stories about return to sports.
Stories of amazing knee recoveries
 
Thanks Pumpkin! We did bending every session as well, but it was nothing like the bending post ACLs. As you say, just hoping the freaking swelling goes down eventually.

And the link took me to a "what to do before surgery" thread... I've been having trouble with the site lately (I access through an app on my phone) so maybe the malfunction is on my end.. Thanks again.


Left TKR 11/29/15
 
Try looking at the site on your computer. The link does the same thing for me on my phone - many links have gone to the wrong place in the app, it must have a problem.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The link took me to the Amazing Knee Stories Thread, will let our tech people know there is a problem with the links for people using apps.
And the link took me to a "what to do before surgery" thread... I've been having trouble with the site lately (I access through an app on my phone) so maybe the malfunction is on my end.
Try looking at the site on your computer. The link does the same thing for me on my phone - many links have gone to the wrong place in the app, it must have a problem.
 
It depends on what you classify as sports. I've already gotten back into training and competing in agility with my dog. That requires running, turning, stopping, and pivoting. The dog has to do all that too.:snork:
 
Agility training is a sport for the trainer, looks like there is a lot of running, quick directions changes, and stops.
 
Thanks for updating us. I'm glad the your PT was helpful. Done right and individually PT can be a valuable thing.
 
It depends on what you classify as sports. I've already gotten back into training and competing in agility with my dog. That requires running, turning, stopping, and pivoting. The dog has to do all that too.:snork:

Aww I did some agility in the past- so much fun!
By sports I'm looking at volleyball. Have been really achy/muscle sore the past 2 weeks so I haven't started yet. Frustrating for sure.

I'm 5 months out, not sure why I'm taking a step back at this point.. Grr.


Left TKR 11/29/15
 
You're probably on the verge of another step in recovery. It seemed when I had those moments I would progress quick rapidly for the next period of time. I hope the same is true for you.
 
Thanks- I hope you are right. Just so frustrating because I was feeling so great. Now everything is sore, even though I've cut down on my activity level once I wasn't feeling great.

I'm contemplating ramping it up again (more walking, back to hoping & step ups- nothing crazy) and seeing if there is a difference. Taking it down hasn't helped!


Left TKR 11/29/15
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom