Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

I'm glad, Sue. But tell them before it gets too much.

Remember that your poor knee isn't lazy - it's wounded. Treat it gently.
 
Celle is right Sue, the less I do, the better I get. My ROM is so much better since I stopped doing just about anything! I know it's hard to go against what the doctors and physios tell you but the proof of the pudding in on this forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know in my heart that I have been doing what I can Kate, I think the surgeon is so annoyed the physio appointment was not booked because it could not be funded by NHS & hence that is why I had to book my own. They should have told me this 3 weeks ago, so they are giving me a freebie session!!!! You get the gist! On a good note I am walking with one crutch & my knee is feeling a bit looser, the incision has healed nicely so let's hope I am on the right road now.
 
I hope you get to see a good physio tomorrow Sue. Well done with the walking and good to hear you're happy with your scar.

I'm only seeing my physio once every 3 weeks at the moment and I'm back next week. my homework has been minimal, mostly gentle stretches. I'm not doing them 3 times a day though which she said I should. It'll be interesting to see what she says next week because I'm going to tell her fibs! :heehee:
 
Sometimes it doesn't matter if we tell little white lies x
 
Week 5 - post op. Went to physio today she was lovely, she didn't push too hard I am now at 90 & 25 so that is a real improvement from last week & yesterday. Physio has given me more exercises to do every couple of hours & also more with Mike OH to help me with 3 times a day. We are going away to a hotel at the weekend in Wales to see Mike's Daughter who is expecting a baby in April & members of my family. There is a swimming pool at the hotel so I will do some walking in the water if I can. Not looking forward to the travel but it will be nice to get away. Hope they can spare some ice:rotfl::swim:
 
@suemegane, great improvement! I know that makes you feel better. Your weekend sounds lovely. Getting away does the mind and body good.
 
Back from weekend away in South Wales had a really nice break was able to use hotel swimming pool, it was great. Woke up this morning my ankle & knee very swollen, maybe I over did it or it could have been the travelling which was nearly 200 miles each way sitting in the front seat without elevating it, did have lots of breaks along the journey. Did rest, iced & elevated when I could while i was at the hotel. Have iced & elevated since I have been back (3 hours) is there anything else I can do to get the swelling down before physio on Tuesday?
 
There's not much else to do to get swelling down. I wish there was a magic potion sometimes but I haven't found one. Just rest and the swelling will be better by Tuesday if not by the end of today.
 
Thank you @newlybionic I didn't think there was much more I could do! Off to bed now with pillows high to elevate & ice packs on knee & ankle just hope this helps to have a good night's sleep .....I sure need it!!zzzzzzzzzz
 
Glad you had a good weekend Sue and I hope the swelling is better this morning. I don't know how you managed that journey!! You're a braver woman than me!
 
I don't know how I did it either, I couldn't get in the back seat to elevate so had to sit in front sat on a pillow with another pillow to support my leg with ice pack on knee some of the way. I thought I would be ok with this journey?! It was lovely going into the pool i could walk, kick my feet & stretch leg, I asked physio last week & she said it would be really good for me. Ankle is down this morning so back on exercises. How are you doing Kate? Have you decided when you will go back to work or do some from home? I still haven't decided, I don't think I am ready to go back just yet.
 
Day 5 - difficult yesterday/last night getting into routine at home as family around to see me...really too much. Went to bed at 10 pm with icepak, meds topped up. Slept for 2 hours woke with cramping feeling in op leg. Went for walk to loosen this. Has anyone got any views on what position to sleep in? I have been sleeping on my back since op, but usually sleep on my side! Still not able to lift bad leg with my own strength & brain, have to lift with other foot or just lift. It is so tight. Will concentrate on exercises every couple of hours today to strengthen this area as it is still so hot & swollen. Really want to be bending knees when walking. Have my son's here today to help, partner Mike is in bed until lunchtime as he starts his night shift tonight at 7.30pm. Will have to get a list together of everything I need for this later. Managed the stairs ok last night & this morning.
I use a long scarf around my ankle to help pull my leg up from floor to couch..bed etc. Also useful for bringing it down slowly. I keep it at night too as it is easier to move leg like this.

[Bonesmart.org] Post op RTKR


left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
I have now mastered the art to lift my leg on & off the bed by myself it's great when you get to that stage:wowspring::spin:
 
Wel done Sue! That must be a big relief!

In answer to your question, I'll be working from home. I usually work from home 99% of the time unless I have to attend a meeting somewhere else in the country. My boss works in Befast and the person who works for me lives in north Wales so we're pretty scattered round! Our work is all computer based and face to face meetings are rare enough. However, my project comes to completion in February so a meeting in London is likely when we start on a new one. Fortunately, we can always run conference calls so travel isn't always essential.

Although I'm planning starting work again on Monday, I've warned them not to throw anything too challenging at me for a while as my decision making and mental skills are still a bit compromised! :chinstroke::flabber::chinstroke::what:
 
You are so lucky to be able to work from home Kate, it takes me 20 minutes to get to work. I don't know when I will be able to drive myself so i will have to rely on Claire or Mike to take & pick me up for now.
 
I know Sue, I don't take it for granted! Until a year ago I commuted 2 1/2 hours each way from West Berks to Central London, 4 days a week for 2 years, relying on trains and the tube. It was purgatory!

If I had to go into an office to work, I doubt if I would be going back before the New Year. I really love my work and I miss the banter with my colleagues and the buzz of work itself. My job is mostly problem solving and monitoring rapidly changing data so I'll need my brain to be in better shape before I can do much but at least I'll be showing willing.

Have you told your boss of your concerns? Is there anything you can do for him from home? It would be a good start to ease you back into things if you feel you're ready to do a bit. Don't rush it though.

I'm going to take the car out very soon if the OS is happy tomorrow. I'm off all strong meds during the day now. Luckily we have an automatic which will help.
 
I rang my boss today & told him I would be in to look at what I could rig up to raise my leg.....his reply was "I can't see that working!!!!!!! " Mike said don't bother going back until New Year. I will go in for a couple of days for 2 hours next week just to show willing & really to see how I get on. If I don't feel I can do it I will get another certificate from doctor's. I can't get the all clear from OS until my appointment on 19th January to drive.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom