TKR Post op RTKR

It's too soon to be going back to work at all and with a boss who sounds unhelpful I'd be inclined to stay away for the full 12 weeks we usually recommend!
Yes, get another certificate from you doctor, and stay home! Your knee will thank you.
 
So your boss has answered that himself really hasn't he? Take your time Sue, he doesn't sound very supportive and it would be better to go back when you're 100% sure than to have to go off sick again because you've gone back too soon.
 
Week 6 post op - I thought I was doing ok, emotions are still all over the place. I don't feel I have gone any forward this week. Thank you Kate & Celle for your support. Knowing I am not the only one going through this is so comforting. I really don't know what I would do without everyone on this forum. I will update how I get on at physio tomorrow.
 
Went to physio today really pleased ROM 85/10 so an improvement on my extension. She did some stretching exercises on me which did not hurt. I am walking easily with one stick with only a slight limp, so will work on the knee bending to hopefully improve flexion this week. Have 2 sessions of physio next week so that should help loosen the leg. Feeling much better today had a good few hours sleep, that always helps me. Went out for a walk it's quite mild but not very bright here in Essex today but it was so good to be out away from the 4 walls!
 
Well done Sue! See what a difference a day makes? Glad you got some decent sleep too. The whole world seems a better place after a good night's sleep. You're right, Essex is very gloomy today. Roll on Spring!
 
Oops, you're having the same issues as I'm having with the forum. I believe there's a glitch for UK users. It doesn't look like we've posted then all of a sudden there's loads!
 
I didn't even realise that it had duplicated several times until I went on pc! The only thing that the Physio said was I shouldn't have rested for the last couple of days after weekend away, but I don't believe this is true because I have proved that today. I hope you are having a good day Kate?
 
I do sometimes wonder if they know what they're talking about! They need a week in our shoes!

I'm fine thanks Sue. Lots of rest for me today after a busy few days.
 
Venturing out today to do some xmas food shopping will only be out for alittle while so hopefully it won't tire me too much. Came downstairs by myself for the first time this morning, haven't had the confidence before & made my own breakfast! Little milestones each day are the best it makes me feel that I am going forward in recovery.:yahoo:
 
I hope it goes well today Sue. Brilliant news on the conquering the stairs!
 
I am still struggling today with my flexion it's back to 75 at 6 1/2 weeks post op I still have some swelling so elevating & icing. I am having trouble keeping my foot flat on the floor when i walk it is tilted on to the outside of the foot this in turn makes my knee not straight. Has anyone else had this problem with their foot?
 
Thought I was through with emotions? But this morning woke up all teary again. Feeling better now as went to see my daughter for a couple of hours. I'm able to bend my leg a bit better today & the swelling is much better on the knee. Did some gentle massaging at the back of my knee to try loosening it, this is what my physio showed me how to do on wednesday. Getting into the Christmas spirit making the last list for my daughter to do final shopping next week, as i really don't want to be in the hussle bussle of next week's last rush. Have increased paracetamol today because of the shooting pains in the knee, it's funny that each day is so different with pain.
 
Are you feeling better today Sue? I know this journey is very much up and down and can be very disappointing some days.

I bet if you read back through your thread you'll find that the days your ROM is reduced and pain increased, follow days where you've been more active. Are you still resting for the majority of the day? I know I still have to. I'm never on my feet for more than 10 - 15 minutes at a time with the exception of shopping once a week and even then, I sit down when I can. Are you icing properly? Does that spray you use really penetrate deep into the tissues or just give you a cold sensation from evaporation and menthol etc? My leg feels like a joint of meat straight out of the fridge after I've had an ice pack on for up to an hour and it stays cold for long time afterwards too!

Are you elevating properly? My knee never really goes down unless I'm flat out in bed with my leg on a couple of pillows. It's at its best first thing in the morning but swells almost immediately once I'm up. Even having it up on the recliner plus pillow (mine is quite high, level with my hip) doesn't cut it.

I still get sharp pains now and again, often when I least expect them. Our limbs are still healing and will continue to do so for many months yet. They're also getting used to being in different alignment and are bound to complain!

Don't worry about Christmas. Let everyone else sort that out and sit back and make sure they wait on you. You can't fight this, you have to work with it because your knee makes all the decisions right now and will continue to do so for a while yet.
 
Hi Kate, yes feeling much better thank you. Funny thing I was reading through the thread today & commented to Mike how i have come on through recovery quite well. I have only been using ice packs the big white ones are the best, as you say a lump of frozen meat is a good description & you have to wait for it to defrost alittle to mould around knee. How many times a day do you ice for? I probably don't elevate enough during the day as can't get comfy on the sofa ( I think I have ruined the foam ) I wish I had a recliner. How many pillows do you use? I have 3 staggered upwards but not sure if that is enough. I was able to use my pedal chair cycle today but only managed to get it half way around each way as knee is still very stiff, but it's a start. When I stand my knee looks so bent forward I just want to have it straighter. I took my first step without a stick, only did about 6 steps. Mike massaged my foot, knee & leg today it does feel good. Christmas is all sorted, going to Claire's for dinner then we will all come back here for the afternoon & evening, if I need to relax i will go up to bed for a while. How are you doing? Are you at home for Christmas? I have been reading someone else's thread from 2013/14 who lives in Hertfordshire & it was so interesting reading the different stages of her journey. This site has been so good hasn't it?
 
Did try to put a photo of my bent leg on here but it says file is too large @referee54 or someone could You Help With This?
 
I'm elevating my leg all the time. If I'm sitting, I'm elevating it. I sat with it down for a while yesterday as we had visitors, it wasn't a good idea! Other than that, I'm fine thanks Sue.
 
Thank you for the reassurance Kate I think i am doing things correctly. I elevated all night & iced the knee for some of that time & then gave it a saran wrap the swelling has gone down alot this morning. Have done some exercising on the bed & it is now aching, so decided to take some paracetamol. I am going to concentrate on flexion & trying to get the quads going today....they are still very sleepy & don't want to work!! I will be elevating most of the day as just me & Mike here today, this has been a problem this week like you i have had visitors around & so I had my leg down so they could sit on sofa & chairs. I've got 2 sessions of pt this week & hoping to be able to book in for some hydro therapy (they have a pool at St Margarets Hospital Epping) my next apt with OS is on 19th Jan so I do hope I can improve the bending by then, otherwise it's the mua route. I tried using the bottom stair as a step exercise using both legs it was so hard trying to put the op knee up, the physio said to try it? Well here goes time to get up have a shower & prepare my breakfast for myself & leave Mike in peace to layin as he has work at 6 tonight. Take care Kate x
 
hi @suemegane ,
I've been reading through your thread and it's bringing it all back to me, this time last year I was just two weeks out of my second tkr, and already I've forgotten just how limited I was.
You've mentioned a few times about swelling, one thing I did which helped a lot was to lie on the bed, with my bottom as close to the wall as I could get it and with both legs up against the wall, up at right angles. Some people said that it was very uncomfortable, I found it particularly comfortable and could lie and read or listen to music for anything up to half an hour. I also wrapped my ice pack around my knee - either my cryo cuff or Amazon sell really good ones that mould into the shape you need them to be. It helped reduce any swelling that I had, I hope it helps you.
 
Lyn that sounds a good idea but not sure that I would get my legs up that high.....but will have a go though?? When I visited USA 2 years ago I bought a pinook micro massager it's like a tens massager. You put the sticky pads on the muscles you want to exercise & plug in & it pulsates the muscles. Today I thought I would try it. I had it on high for 15 minutes, well it made my leg feel really good & guess what I can now walk without my stick!:wowspring::happydance:
 
Hi Kate, I am so happy today.....I walked without a stick & also carried a plate! These little things make me feel i am moving forward, I feel like when I first rode my bike by myself silly isn't it? It's true what everyone says on here, until your leg is ready to do these things it will NOT it doesn't matter what my OS says about having to have mua, I will not be needing it :snork::dancy:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom