Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

Congratulations! Those little steps just seem so large. Keep going. There will be more little steps along the way leading to full recovery!
 
It's good to celebrate those little milestones! :happydance::yay:
 
Going into work today to see how I feel about going back to work & discuss if there is anything that I could do to work from home. Let's see what happens:chinstroke:
 
Brilliant news! I told you you'd get there. Don't overdo it now though, it's far too easy to do so. See my last post on my own thread!

Don't worry too much about work either, your recovery is far more important.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
7 weeks post op - Went into work today & stayed i did 2 hours of work & chatted on the phone to some of my customers. It was good to go to see how I faired back in the work place. I sat on my chair which has wheels & did some bending & foot shuffle exercises so I made the most of my time there & enjoyed being out of the house. I was pampered by the boss's wife with tea & mince pies. I am going to pop in again tomorrow for 2 hours just to get the last minute emails out before the Xmas break. Next week I am going to start back to work on "my terms" staying only for as long as I want or able to. In the new year I will be able to start doing some of my work from home so that will be good for me. Back home now have elevated & icing leg, just in case I have overdone it.
 
I'm really pleased for you Sue. I hope the work thing goes well and you don't feel too overwhelmed by it. Your boss's wife sounds nice and she seems to have more empathy than her husband. Keep up the good work! X
 
Does anyone know how much the knee replacement weighs?
 
I think I read somewhere it's around 1 lb but I may be wrong.
 
The reason I was asking is I went back to slimming world last night & had put on 5lbs since end of Oct (8 wks) when I last went & was told most of it will be from the new knee & the swelling so really I haven't put on as much as I thought??? It did make me feel good going out seeing friends again. I had to up my meds overnight as I had those horrible stabbing pains back & couldn't get comfy. I still have that numbess on outside of knee & it is so stiff still & flexion is between 80 - 85 is this normal at 7 weeks? I have 2 x pt this week so hopefully I can improve this then hopefully i won't have to have mua?
 
I don't think the joint makes much difference weight wise. I wouldn't get hung up on your weight, it'll soon come off once you get your knee healed and are active again.

The numbness is normal and caused by severing of nerves that run through the incision. Josephine explains it somewhere with diagrams; possibly in one of her recovery threads. It will go away in time but can take years to fully disappear. Mine is also numb on the outside but strangely itchy at times.

I get exactly the same stabbing pains when I've over done it. It's a special feature of ODIC. You should listen to your knee and not do so much that you return to being in pain. (Says she who as done exactly the same in the past few days!) This is when it swells and your ROM is consequently reduced.

From reading through dozens of threads, there is no "normal" ROM at 7 weeks. Once the swelling has gone, you'll gain ROM. Mine has been back at 90 (ish, I never measure it) since overdoing it at the weekend. I'm confident it'll improve once I've rested again properly. Probably after Christmas at this rate! :snork:

Believe me when I say you're doing far more than me. No way could I go out in the evening without suffering terribly later. Once you slow down a good deal, your ROM will improve.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I know I probably did overdo it yesterday, with work, exercises & going out, that's what we Di when we are feeling much better. I just worry about my OS saying about mua if I don't improve my flexion. The swelling has gone down abit this morning so have just done some bending exercises before Claire takes me to work (only doing 2 hours). In new year going for a spa day massage with Claire they have a pool there so looking forward to that.
 
Have done really well today. Went to work for 2 hours, did some exercises using my stairs as a step putting op leg up first & hey presto I am walking without a stick! I just need to practice with my body being straight but very happy. Ready to relax with my leg elevated/iced for awhile now. :dancy:
 
You're doing great. Just remember to pace yourself and give yourself lots of time to rest--it sounds like you are figuring out a system.
 
I think I have at last figured out the ratio of exercise/rest/work to stop going in the ODIC. I just hope the physio thinks I am doing enough exercise to get my ROM better to show my OS that I don't need mua....I have one hour pt tomorrow & half hour on thursday. I will fill you in with progress tomorrow.
 
Had my PT today achieved 90/10 the knee feels lovely & loose & after session i was able to walk without stick without a limp. Physiotheropist showed Mike OH how to do the stretching on me & help with the exercises. I have booked 2 paying sessions before I see the OS on 19th January & I still have the NHS pt every week. If the OS thinks I need mua by 19th I will probably have it done.
 
I found that a little exercise and lots of "laziness" to let the swelling go down got me bend.

Usually once you hit 90 they don't do MUA--my PT gave me the old "he might want to do MUA" when I hadn't hit 90 at week 5. But I got there. Also the OS didn't even measure--he just had me show him how I was bending and said "you're doing fine."

I didn't have any extension issues--I'm sure the people who were a little slow on that front will offer suggestions. I don't think the do mua for that.
 
Glad your ROm is improving Sue. I was amazed when I read on another thread the you're doing your exercises every hour!! I confess I don't do any at all now as they usually make my leg swell. I've gone down Josephine's route and doing nothing other than walking and stairs. I chuckled when my physio said I'd obviously been working very hard.
 
I only do 2 x different exercises every hour, so its not heavy going. Walking around the house is counted as one then I may do 5 x extension pushing down on knee etc... or lay on my front bringing leg backwards & then foot shuffles. In between I ice & elevate. At 6 pm I will just rest. Hope that is the case @kneeper I dint really want to go down that route.
 
Ok that makes sense. You've come on in leaps and bounds (no pun intended!). The best bit is how much your confidence has improved. It's lovely to hear you sounding so positive. We're definitely over the worst of this now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom