Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

Day 5 - difficult yesterday/last night getting into routine at home as family around to see me...really too much. Went to bed at 10 pm with icepak, meds topped up. Slept for 2 hours woke with cramping feeling in op leg. Went for walk to loosen this. Has anyone got any views on what position to sleep in? I have been sleeping on my back since op, but usually sleep on my side! Still not able to lift bad leg with my own strength & brain, have to lift with other foot or just lift. It is so tight. Will concentrate on exercises every couple of hours today to strengthen this area as it is still so hot & swollen. Really want to be bending knees when walking. Have my son's here today to help, partner Mike is in bed until lunchtime as he starts his night shift tonight at 7.30pm. Will have to get a list together of everything I need for this later. Managed the stairs ok last night & this morning.
 
I'm a side sleeper, too. Maneuver yourself into a comfortable semi-side position with the judicious use of pillows- try placing one behind your back/hip and another soft one between your legs. Happy snoozing!
 
@suemegane , I hope you have a good day today. I am really interested in your side sleeping saga. I usually don't sleep on my back since it makes my back hurt. Prayers for you.
 
I was able to sleep on my side by placing my left leg over my RTKR, but not until week 3 or 4. You could try the Saran Wrap trick, it has helped people sleep better.
 
@suemegane do you have a recliner? I spent the first 5 nights in one. Almost impossible for me to sleep in a bed or sofa.
The arms of the recliner were something I could use to lean the leg/knee against in various positions.

At 7 weeks post op I have slept one night for 6.5 hrs. Mostly 3-5 hour stretches. Only taking Tylenol & Naproxen.

Sleep can be elusive for some time.
 
No i don't have a recliner. In bed now for the night, will try the slight sideway approach for sleeping tonight. Hopefully I will not have to get up & rush for a wee like last night. My bladder is very weak since the epidural last tuesday.
 
Day 6 - had another bad night so decided to change my meds from Paracetamol & codine to Ibuprofen. This has made me feel so much better have only taken 2 x 400mg 5 am this morning & just about to take the next dose & ice up. Have been walking much better & doing small things for myself
 
There are exercises to strengthen your muscles to allow you to have more control over your bladder. Goggle Kegle exercises for a description. They may help. I used them after I gave birth to my children and I had an epidural.
 
Please be sure you're not under mediated. At just 6 days I was taking oxycodone has prescribed by my OS.
 
Day 7 -Had a much better night with waterworks! Still only had about 2 hours sleep though. Not mastered sleeping slightly sideways as suggested. Cramping is less now....had a lot of this feeling before op anyway. Doing a few exercises, foot slides, toe bends & knee stretches. Can get up from any chair now without any problems, bend knee to ROM 60 - 70 no PT to give advice so using B/smart for advice. The only thing that I didn't do enough pre-op was strengthening my arms & legs so have been very weak & found where I didn't know I had muscles! I would say to anyone to make sure you do this. Meds i'm on Ibuprofen 2 x 400mg approx every 5-6 hours. Has anyone got any advice on surgical stockings- mine seem very tight & when I change them I seem to have line marks, frightened they are stopping circulation?
 
Day 8 - had such a good night. Have elevated my leg higher now & swelling is coming down slowly. Not frightened of leg as I have been for the last week. Time to up the exercises a little today as yesterday I was so emotional & couldn't concentrate on anything.
 
I only wore compression hose while in rehab, so I have no advice. Lack of concentration was huge for me, but I thought it was due to oxycodone I was taking. Just do heel slides, quad stretches and short walks around the house right now if you feel the need to exercise. Sometimes it helped me to feel I was doing something, but after my 2nd surgery I did nothing but walk around the house or go to appointments for a month.
 
Hi @KarriB thank you for advice. I have been only doing foot slides & pumps. When laying down I can't lift my leg at all with out using a scarf . But when I am standing with crutches I can lift leg to 90 deg & swing it back & forwards.
 
Time to up the exercises a little today as yesterday I was so emotional & couldn't concentrate on anything.
Just do heel slides, quad stretches and short walks around the house right now if you feel the need to exercise.
Kari is right. You don't need to do a lot of exercise. Concentrate on reducing the swelling (rest, ice, elevate) and your knee will gradually improve, all by itself.
Day 6 - had another bad night so decided to change my meds from Paracetamol & codine to Ibuprofen. This has made me feel so much better have only taken 2 x 400mg 5 am this morning & just about to take the next dose & ice up.
I don't think it's a good idea to just be using Ibuprofen for your pain relief. It's an anti-inflammatory medication that is not really good at pain relief. To use it alone as pain relief is not wise. Other meds are more effective. In addition, Ibuprofen can sow down bone healing and it brings a risk of bleeding, particularly in your stomach.

Please ask your doctor for some pain relief medication that will work for you, because it's much too soon to be without it.
 
With my first TKR I could not lift my leg either, until one day my quads just woke up! It will all come back. How long do you have to wear the support hose?
 
Hi! Replying to your post here to avoid derailing another member's thread: It is not uncommon to have difficulty with the straight leg raise. After my first TKR it took me 3 weeks to accomplish my first straight leg raise. It was very painful and difficult for another several months. My advice is to try maybe every other day, but don't strain yourself and don't worry if it takes a while. It will all work out in the long run.
 
SLR were difficult for me also. I used my leg lifter to help my leg remember what it should it do. Then gradually tried pulling less with the lifter and more with my leg. It took a few days, but eventually it came.
 
Can't find my original thread so have started a new one. I am now day 13 post RTKR - Hopefully the worst is over, pain is getting better, bruising & swelling has gone down so I can move my leg better. Still having problems between brain & leg raising have to use my left leg to hook the right to get off sofa & bed. Still extremely tired on some days but did have 4 hours sleep last night only waking for a wee & meds. Bladder is behaving better, no more accidents so looks like the problem was connected to the epidural block. Some days very irritable, sharp with my closest, hot flushes & get worried when left on my own. ( I think this is just normal reading other people's experiences) Pins are coming out tomorrow not looking forward to this...... Going to do simple exercises today to get the muscles going.
 
@suemegane Watching your post with interest. Glad you appear to be doing so well so soon in the whole process. The inability to move without pain or unaided is enough to drive anyone to distraction, and I am sure your family understand and are supporting you to the best of their ability.

Mine is scheduled for 12th January and I am dreading it. I have one good day and I want to cancel it, then I have four bad ones and wonder what I was thinking.

I will be at home on my own after it. So I have to arrange things as best I can so I can get around and feed myself until my husband gets back from work. I'm sure it will all work out fine, but it is natural i suppose I am afraid of the unknown.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom