Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post op RTKR

Your leg looks GREAT! Did you ever have any bruising? You are 6 days ahead of me. I wish I could get my swelling down! Thanks for sharing.
 
Yes had lots of bruising so that is probably why it's still swollen inside....hopefully it will sort it's self out in the next week
 
Day 28 post op - Went to physio today they were so nice there. Have more exercises to do to help straighten my knee & leg. Extension was 35 when I got there but went down to 30 after some exercising. Flexion was 75 but increased to 80 this could be better so hopefully if I keep up the good work by next week's session it should be better. Feeling more confident now & have been advised to still use both crutches until the leg is straighter.
 
Have more exercises to do to help straighten my knee & leg. Extension was 35 when I got there but went down to 30 after some exercising. Flexion was 75 but increased to 80 this could be better so hopefully if I keep up the good work by next week's session it should be better.
Don't work too hard!

Full extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion does, especially if your knee was bent before your surgery.
Just work at it steadily, but don't let any of the exercises hurt your knee.
I expect you're doing something like this, are you?
Extension: exercises for improvement
 
I didn't work at it at all. Just sat with my leg bridging between the chair and ottoman.
 
Day 29 post op - Had rather a busy day yesterday, physio & then a neighbours funeral. This morning much better as iced & elevated all night to get the swelling down. Continuing to do light exercises today to get the quads stronger. Its lovely & sunny here in Essex so sitting in conservatory soaking up the rays, hoping to get a tan ?? Keeping busy with sorting out paperwork that should have been done weeks ago to plan our Camping weekends away for 2016. I'm planning on returning to phased back to work in 3 weeks. Will only do a couple of hours on a couple of days per week with OH Mike taking me in as don't think I will be ready to drive then. Things are looking much better this week, i'm sleeping for longer & only needing to take paracetamol every 7-8 hours. Am able to shower by myself, but still not confident up & down stairs without somebody here with me. Its all part of the process of recovery. Hope all November Nimbles are doing ok? Although none of us are there yet there is a light at the end of the tunnel.:cheers::yes!:
 
Day 30 post op - still getting stiff at night & not sure of the best way to sleep yet, I didn't elevate my leg as trying to stretch the knee to try to get it straight, but did ice it when i first went to bed, my ankle was aching when I woke this morning due to it being in the same position for a couple of hours. Still waking 2 - 3 times in the night. I have to get up every morning at 7 so that my son can see me down the stairs so usually I cat nap on the sofa for awhile. I am feeling really tired today don't really know why so will have a chillout day. I think it maybe the bordom of the same thing every day & still not being able to lift my leg?????? :sorry:
 
Day 31 post op - knocked my leg on a table last night it sent shock waves up & down my leg! Iced & elevated last night all is well this morning. Have my leg on a stool bridging at the moment to try get my extension better as per instruction from pt. I'm feeling really good & ready to prepare & cook dinner today. I won't over do it as I know how it can set me back.
 
Oh no! I am sorry you hit your knee. Good for comfort today. When we do something like that, it reminds us how far we have come on our journey from those first days of pain. Hope your day is blessed.
 
4 weeks post op - As you can see I am going to be counting in weeks now.....had a restless night, it's been 9 days since I had my flu jab & I have come down with a temperature/aches & pains, never mind i'm sure it won't last long. Also for the last couple of days i have had a pain in my middle 3 toes on my operated leg, it's like an arthritic pain/ache when I have my leg straight on the bed & walking heal to toe! Has anyone else experienced this? Was hoping to go out with OH to the supermarket today but it is so windy & cold that have decided to stay in the warm & do my stretches/ice & elevate.:bigfish:with my legs of course hehe. Had breakfast in bed this morning & a lay in need it to get rid of this headache! :swoon:
 
I get peculiar aches and pains in my leg, ankles and feet now and again Sue. I think it's the leg getting used to the new alignment along with not being used properly for the past month. I'd say it'll all straighten itself out eventually!
 
Good morning. I hope you are finding some relief. I felt so badly for you yesterday when you posted on my thread. I wish there was something I could say to help you. This is definitely not a journey for the faint of heart at times. You are thought of and prayed for.
 
It is good to know that this is all part of the recovery & I agree with @Timetolive this op is not for the faint hearted. Maybe I wasn't ready for this op just yet? but it is all done now & hopefully it will feel really good once completely healed & I will be able to fulfil what I intend to do which is walking, cycling & be able to do what I couldn't do for the past 10 or so years. @Kelpie Kate hope you are feeling better today & had a good rest. I did go out today, not shopping but to my Grandson's xmas fayre at his school. I needed to get out even for that hour as I am just going mad being inside these 4 walls?
 
I don't think you can ever really be ready for these ops. You just have to face them and get on with it, having faith that you will get better. I usually keep myself well informed but was so afraid of this op because of my hospital phobia that I shut down and refused to look at anything other than the basics. I'm glad I did now as it's over and I'm getting better even though it really is hellish slow! :whistle:

In spite of it all, I'm still determined to have my other knee done next year. I know what's to expect now and I feel so much better equipped to deal with it in the best way. That's all down to this wonderful forum!

Glad you got out today Sue, in spite of the awful weather! I hope this wind stops soon!
 
Hi Sue. How are things going with you? I hope you're continuing to make progress and keeping your chin up.
 
Hi Kate, just got back from surgeon he is not happy with movement in my knee, he has booked me in for extra physio tomorrow, I am not looking forward to it:gaah:the short of it this apt was missed!!!! Got to do lots of exercises to get this baby moving otherwise it's back in under general for manipulation? Maybe I have been slacking over the last couple of weeks? I also have physio at St Margarets tomorrow but that will be only to measure ext & flex. Hope you are ok? X
 
he is not happy with movement in my knee, he has booked me in for extra physio tomorrow, I am not looking forward to it:gaah:the short of it this apt was missed!!!! Got to do lots of exercises to get this baby moving otherwise it's back in under general for manipulation? Maybe I have been slacking over the last couple of weeks?
Lots of exercises are not going to make your knee bend more easily. They are much more likely to slow it down further. The answer is actually to Do Less. Slacking more is exactly what you need to do.

You don't have to work hard to rehab your knee. This is a case of "Less is More". I did no PT and no exercises at all for my latest knee and its ROM is just fine.
Read this: TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

At the moment, your knee can't bend because swelling is stopping it. Get rid of the swelling and the bend will come more easily. The way to do that is to do less, rest more, ice and elevate.

In any case, what's the rush? Remember that ROM can continue to improve for year, or even longer, after surgery. There's no magic "window of opportunity" within which time you have to get ROM, or all is lost.
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
These may help, too.
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Finally, remember this, too: It's your knee and you are the only one who can say what will happen to it. Don't let anyone scare you with threats of a MUA. You can always ask for a few more weeks, to see if your knee improves without it.

I'll tag @Josephine for you. She'll probably ask you some specific questions about the exercises you are doing.
 
Thank you @Celle I will re-read all that you have advised. If it does get too much tomorrow I will ask them to stop. I will update tomorrow after my PT
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom